I need to poop!

Options
Ive been on my low carb diet for almost a month. Prior to this I had a bm everyday and now I even feel heavier because I havent had proper movement in over a week! Please help! I dont want to take laxatives but I will! Someone plz help me! Im upping my water intake and I even had a carby cheat meal in the hopes of moving things along but nothing!! How do you do it? What helps you maintain good movement?!

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of fat usually prevents this issue for me. Have you tried maybe coconut oil or mct oil in your coffee? That's a go-to solution for a lot of people!
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm with @anglyn1, up your fat. The less carbs you eat, the less 'filler' you will need to get rid of, so you will go less. But, if you have a noticeable feeling that you need to go, coffee and fat have helped in the past.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate and a probiotic. I take magnesium citrate tablets as I hate the taste of the liquid. Start slowly, 1-200mg tablet per day and then work up as needed. Stay near a bathroom.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of cheese? That was my problem when I first tried this 10 years ago. It became a pretty serious problem.

I was snacking on hard cheese everyday. This time around, I was much more moderate on my cheese consumption and had no problems.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    A couple times in 4 months I took Milk of Magnesia before I went to bed.

If the other excellent advice above doesn't move things along that might be something to consider.
  • GalaxyGrifa
    GalaxyGrifa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will try some coconut oil in my coffee and see if that works! Oh and yes, I love cheese and have a bit each day but now that I realize this may be contributing to my problem I'm going to have to ease up on my cheese habit! :smile: Thanks so much everyone.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just saw my doctor last week for my annual physical and mentioned constipation to her and she recommended Miralax.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is my go to cure.

>:) OR o:)
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    A few tablespoons of MCT oil should resolve that problem right quick.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can take your magnesium as a vitamin C: Magnesium acorbate, up the magnesium some more with magnesium citrate and take high dosage Vitamin C on top. Also, start taking a good quality probiotic: your gut flora is changing because of your change in diet, and you want to have good bacterial activity (again)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had chronic constipation, slow bowels, hard bowels, you name it. And then i started taking magnesium. This was about 8 years ago. A God send.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I swear by coffee, with or without MCT oil, haven't needed lately at all, just black coffee most days in the am. High doses of Vitamin C half in am and half in pm, and Natural Calm magnesium in the evening. And keeping carb count low, carbs constipated me. I also avoid nuts and limit cheese.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Coffee from starbucks always solves this issue for me. A large americano, iced, drink it fast.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. Before Ketto I got constipated once every 10 years. Now I have to make sure I eat lots of psyllium.
    wabmester wrote: »
    Are you eating a lot of cheese? That was my problem when I first tried this 10 years ago. It became a pretty serious problem.

I was snacking on hard cheese everyday. This time around, I was much more moderate on my cheese consumption and had no problems.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Coffee from starbucks always solves this issue for me. A large americano, iced, drink it fast.

I was going to say the same thing and thought it might be dumb, so I was so glad to see your comment. :)
    For the last week I had this problem and I was another day from trying a laxative because I had already been doing everything mentioned above, besides the vit C because I didn't know about that, but I got an Americano (hot) this morning on a rare trip to Starbucks and I wasn't halfway through the cup when I had to go! I feel like I lost 5lbs! Lol. I was really starting to feel miserable.
    I drink no less than 24 oz. of espresso blend coffee with CO every single morning and had increased the CO one day substantially trying to get relief with no luck. I don't know why the actual espresso made a difference, but it did and I'm so glad!
    Still don't know what caused my issue, but hopefully it's not recurrent.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    I just saw my doctor last week for my annual physical and mentioned constipation to her and she recommended Miralax.

Be very careful about this. Using laxatives of any kind make your body's natural processes go into hibernation. However, if you have to use a laxative, this one or Senna are the more natural/less long term harmful ones... And of course others have mentioned nature's ex-lax, aka coffee. For me, caffeine, coconut oil, and movement (like a walk) usually combine to resolve the issue. If not, and i'm at home, I can do coconut oil with a vinegar brined pickle and trigger a dumping reaction, but that type is generally not preferred.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Every time I switch diets, I stay constipated the first month. Coffee, magnesium, up your fat intake, all great suggestions. :)