Family friendly Keto friendly meals

Options
hey :-)

I started last week and I'm doing okay I guess, haven't had a weigh in yet so just praying all is well :-)

But I'm struggling at meal times, I am having to make the family something different to what I have and I would quite like to find something Keto friendly that we can all eat together

Some thing that doesn't require too much stress too ;-)

Any ideas xx

Replies

• NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you keep it simple it might be easier. Dinner can be broiled steak, roasted chicken, pork chops. If you avoid processed food, the family should as well -- it isn't good for anyone.
  • carolrosehill
    carolrosehill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We make a primal Texas chili. It has 9g of carbs, but it's yummy, and the non keto family can have theirs with the usual carby sides if they want, but you're still sharing your meal
  • LeanneForever
    LeanneForever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How can I make a child , can I use canned tomatoes
  • jakelee65
    jakelee65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of recipes by googling ideal protein recipes, ideal protein program puts you in ketosis so all recipes in phase 1 work, my husband really likes all the chicken ones I have tried and I found a great ham rub and mustard sauce!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I almost never make two meals. I make a meat, a veggie everyone can eat, and a carby side for my guy or bread... I add butter and such to mine, if it isn't naturally fatty, and let him add his carby things to his stuff... Works for us!
  • stephanniehall
    stephanniehall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can do things like Philly cheesesteak "sandwiches" (no buns for keto, buns for your fam), or burgers (same), or soups (lots of great recipes if you google Keto soups). I've found pinterest really useful for finding recipes. Sometimes all it takes is modifying something you already eat too, like meatloaf, to make it more keto-friendly, and then it doesn't really end up changing the taste very much so everyone can have it.
  • sicklidae
    sicklidae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Like Stephannie, I've done cheesesteaks etc too, I just skip the bun. Cook some meat, and I share it with the family, my fiance cooks rice for himself. Sausages, steaks, eggs and bacon for dinner. There are some great keto recipe sites, just be careful, I've seen some recipes on Pinterest say low carb when they weren't even close! But Pinterest is a good resource as long as you keep an eye on the ingredients.
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/
    http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that's a staple in my house is taco salads. I batch cook taco meat (with my own seasonings, cuts down on carb fillers). I will do mine with sour cream, cheese, salt, tomatoes, avocados, salsa, etc. My fiance will put his in a baked shell with rice/beans, romaine lettuce (I have just realized I prefer the taste without this, but could eat it too), and salsa.... He'll also make burritos, nachos, tostadas, etc. I'll just use some variation of my mix... And we're both happy - one meal, many options.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do what @KnitOrMiss does. I make a main low carb protein, add a low carb side and if that isn't enough I will add another veg that I don't eat, like corn or potatoes. I dont buy 'boxes' foods anymore. My go to side is cauliflower and cheese, everyone loves that. With winter coming I will do more LC soups and heat pepperoni or cheese for chips, while everyone else has crackers or toast. Although, for the majority of meals everyone eats the same thing now. I have been eating this way for approximately 3 years, so everyone is pretty well adjusted to it. Even if my parents come over (my mother feels strongly that my woe is not healthy) I cook low carb, and they eat it. I do remember when we were adjusting it took a lot of thought to get away from our previous lifestyle.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't have children but I was thinking about this the other day actually. I tried something new and thought, "Man, this would be a great family dinner."

Try making some keto fried chicken tenders. I had some boneless, skinless, chicken thighs lying around and didn't know what to do with them so I turned them into fried tenders (using a pan on the stove instead of a fryer). I found a couple of recipes for you. One is if you do want to use the fryer and the other is if you're planning on going in the pan (the first link has more ingredients that can be not so easy to find):
    I was trying to find the recipe I went with and found some really interesting variants. Next time I think I'm going to go with one of the Sriracha/Buffalo recipes.

*Edit* Cooking them in a pan is the quickest method. I fry things in the pan because I'm a working professional, leave my house at 5AM and return closer to 6 or 7PM. Not a whole lot of time to take care of my business so most of the items I track in MFP, you'll notice that they are all very, very quick. Grab-and-go.
  • sicklidae
    sicklidae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, taco salads! Those are on of my favorites! But I only get them for lunch because I'm the only one in my house that likes any sort of Mexican food :(
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/helenbacks_cheeseburger_pie.html

I love this one. I did a mushroom Swiss bacon cheeseburger and a sharp cheddar bacon cheeseburger version of this. So good. Pretty easy.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My whole carb-o-holic family loves this one. I cook bread for them to go with it. http://lowcarblayla.blogspot.com/2012/07/chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole.html
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I made this last night, and it was delicious! Instead of bread crumbs I pounded pork rinds for the breading. We had broccoli as the side. My daughter loved it!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/70522/garlic-cheddar-chicken/