Metformin ?

Options

Replies

• 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    After much research, soul searching and advice, I am going to start taking 500mg once a day a dinner. Although my sugar is under control following a low carb diet and exercise, there are to many benefits of the low dose to ignore. With my genetics and seeing what my mom has gone thru, I have been determined for that not to be me. As a cancer survivor and just having another scare, the anti cancer benefits alone helped with my decision. I plan to continue what I have been doing and only take this small dose as hopefully added protection from long term effects of diabetes. My goal is to never be insulin dependant. People always say they hope to come off od meds someday and that is me to but I have decided a big part of that for me is pride in knowing I did it on my own. I can't let my pride get in the way. I don't plan on taking more and the benefit from this low of a dose may be minimal, but that's where I am at for now. Thanks for all the input.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am glad you decided to take the pill. It's there to benefit you. The first little while is always the toughest as far as accepting that "Yeah I have this issue and the doctor says I have to take this medication!"...it can be kind of depressing but at the same time this is your chance to live a healthier life. For myself I am at my healthiest than I have ever been in my life!

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was almost the same way. Two years ago my Dr. put me on Metformin I fought it and I got off it as soon as I could. This summer I fell off the wagon (vacation, school, work) and had a hard time with sugar cravings so I did the unthinkable and asked my Dr. to put me back on it. I've been on Metformin for about 3 weeks now, I'm not sure how long I'll stay on it but for now I'm back on the wagon.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    A week in and everything is going ok. It's a small dose, 500mg once a day, so I haven't had nay side effects. I am still sticking with my low carb diet, so I am sure my BS is fine. Hopefully this is just a little added insurance. I sure would love a plate of spaghetti though
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    IMO, anybody diagnosed with DM2 should be on metformin, an ACEI or ARB, a statin, a baby aspirin, and co Q 10 for life.

hmmm...the only one I'm missing from that list is coQ10--I'll have to look into that & see what it's for.

• winnie141
    Options
    IMO, anybody diagnosed with DM2 should be on metformin, an ACEI or ARB, a statin, a baby aspirin, and co Q 10 for life.

What is a ACEI or ARB?

As far as the rest besides the co Q 10, I am on...the baby aspirin....no...but I am taking fish oil (krill) and it thins out my blood. I will do some research about the co Q10!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    jburke141 wrote: »

What is a ACEI or ARB?

As far as the rest besides the co Q 10, I am on...the baby aspirin....no...but I am taking fish oil (krill) and it thins out my blood. I will do some research about the co Q10!

These are blood pressure medications:

ACEI (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor)--this one made me cough a lot (a "tickle" cough).

ARB( Angiotensin Receptor Blocker)--I'm using this (Cozaar) since it doesn't make me cough.

• winnie141
    Options
    Hmmm good to know...for once it's not something I need as I suffer the other...too low of blood pressure. Thanks for responding!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

Would Lysinopril htz (spell?) fall in this ACEI / ARB ?
  • titinil
    titinil Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Yes, lisinopril is an ACEI

• mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I get the ACEI and ARB for blood pressure and kidney protection.... should D2 patient be on statins even if cholesterol is ok?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    titinil wrote: »

Yes, lisinopril is an ACEI

Thank you! : )
  • easteen05
    easteen05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have Metformin moments. By that I mean short notice diarrhea once every few days. Not so often since my dr okay ed me to cut the dose. I don't see the point to starting a med when you are doing well without.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started it in 2013 and my Dr warned me about side effect mainly diarrhea.

I never had a single side effect nit even at the beginning.
    When I started my a1c went down to 6.1
    When I added exercise and dieting it went down to 5.1.
    I understand how you might feel my mother always refused to take the drugs for her diabetes....but it's a disease that progress if you don't take care of it
    Now that you are at 5.9
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    It was a very painful decision. My a1c was stuck around 6.7 with diet and exercise plus losing 30 lbs. Low carb on top of exercise got it to 5.9 in 2 months so if I had waited another month, it probably would have been 5.5 or so. Which is great, but low carb is hard and my dr says a small does of metformin will let me have a piece of bread every now and then. Plus since I have such a family history and it being a progressive disease, she thought it would be better to keep it lower now. Plus she said, and I researched, there are alot of other benefits they have discovered. Anti cancer effects for one which is huge to me as a cancer survisor. Plus it is a little bonus on my lipid panel. Not sure how much 500mg will make a difference but I didn't want my pride of getting it down without meds to do me in later in life. Life happens, I may not always be able to exercise like I am or eat low carb. That's my story. We are all different.
  • azsoccerpop
    azsoccerpop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1234USMC Thats pretty awsome that you were able to reduce your A1C to those levels with diet and exercise. I have been on a 2 a day 500 MG dose for 8 months now with no ill effects. I still have some carbs here or there but with the metformin I have keep it in check.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have recently been taken off metformin after 20 years as it was leaching B12 from my body so I had B12 injections for a year and then the metformin was discontinued. Also leaches out other vitamins minerals etc and caused diarrhoea and gastric upsets for years but I did not link this to metformin!