Day 4 Keto

Options
Hi Everyone
I've really enjoyed reading a lot of threads here so I decided to jump in. So many of you are so knowledgeable (ok where's the spell check?). I'm new to Fitnesspal too so still trying to figure things out.

I am on day 4 and don't know if I'm in ketosis yet. I have sticks but I think I'll check it out tomorrow. I don't feel like I'm losing tons of water or anything. I think my macros are good, I hope. The amount of fat kind of scares me. When I initially started reading up on Ketogenic diets I thought we needed to stay away from saturated fat. But all the recipes are full of cheese and cream and bacon and meat. Is it safe to say that some saturated fat is ok? If so what percentage of the fat grams can it comprise? It would be hard to get the full fat grams if at least a good percentage isn't saturated. Can't eat coconut oil, salmon and avo's all day long!

Another concern I have is I do hot yoga 5-6 days a week. I don't eat a high carb diet in the first place so I've been eating pretty healthy most of the time. I feel fine so far. Yesterday I was a little tired in the afternoon so I drank some boullion and that seemed to help. I also supplement and take electrolytes but if anyone has any comments or experiences I would appreciate it.

I don't have a lot of weight to lose...10 lbs would make me very happy. But I have fat in my midsection, underarms etc....50 yr old so there ya go. Will it take longer for me to lose weight or should I drastically cut calories? I'm not in a hurry but I get nervous about all the fat....conditioned by the FDA I suppose:)

Thanks and sorry for the long post. I have so many darn questions right now.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drastically cut calories....especially for the first couple of weeks. I would set a higher calorie goal and not worry if you go over for at least two weeks. Set your carb limit (20-30g a day) and then try and hit your protein and fill the rest with fat.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, your performance in yoga will likely decline the first 4 weeks or so, and then when the mitochondria in your muscles rewire, you'll get improved performance beyond previous personal bests...

Saturated fat is safe. Someone posted the figures somewhat recently that our body is 65%+ of saturated fat... The old "fear of fat" stuff was an agricultural trend - they wanted you to eat more grains, so they had to make you fear fats!

The only really bad fats are trans fats and hydrogenated fats (most canola, corn, veggie oil is actually rancid due to processing but is made to not smell or taste it, so avoid those)... I cook with bacon drippings and use cream, cheese, bacon, and meats daily!!!
  • Teleportation
    Teleportation Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drastically cut calories....especially for the first couple of weeks. I would set a higher calorie goal and not worry if you go over for at least two weeks. Set your carb limit (20-30g a day) and then try and hit your protein and fill the rest with fat.

Ok. I have my calories set at 1200 and can stay within that plus or minus a 200. I'm not factoring in the calories I burn in yoga so I should be fine. I tested my ketones today and I'm in very low ketosis :( I did Atkins years ago, and it seems I got into it much faster like a couple of days...and I could tell. I literally feel no different...Thanks for your response.
  • Teleportation
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, your performance in yoga will likely decline the first 4 weeks or so, and then when the mitochondria in your muscles rewire, you'll get improved performance beyond previous personal bests...

Saturated fat is safe. Someone posted the figures somewhat recently that our body is 65%+ of saturated fat... The old "fear of fat" stuff was an agricultural trend - they wanted you to eat more grains, so they had to make you fear fats!

The only really bad fats are trans fats and hydrogenated fats (most canola, corn, veggie oil is actually rancid due to processing but is made to not smell or taste it, so avoid those)... I cook with bacon drippings and use cream, cheese, bacon, and meats daily!!!

Hi there and thanks for the reply. So far I feel no different in yoga, same energy. Maybe that's because I'm not in ketosis yet. Wahhh. I posted above that I did Atkins and I ate way more protein and didn't sweat calories at all. I'm wondering if I should up my protein? There are some experts that say we need 30-40 grams of protein with each meal? I'm also thinking that maybe because I was already eating a pretty low carb diet that my body is just going to take longer. Better weigh myself so I can make sure I'm not gaining :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi! Fear of fat is real since we've been brainwashed about how bad it is forever (my forever at least)! It's a very important part of this woe, because it's the part that makes me unhungry! It took me a bit to get over that fear, but I'm glad I did! Good luck!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options

Ok. I have my calories set at 1200 and can stay within that plus or minus a 200. I'm not factoring in the calories I burn in yoga so I should be fine. I tested my ketones today and I'm in very low ketosis :( I did Atkins years ago, and it seems I got into it much faster like a couple of days...and I could tell. I literally feel no different...Thanks for your response.

ONE time I showed moderate ketones. ONCE! I normally show trace or small no matter how low I go so I wouldn't sorry too much about it. ☺
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Hi there and thanks for the reply. So far I feel no different in yoga, same energy. Maybe that's because I'm not in ketosis yet. Wahhh. I posted above that I did Atkins and I ate way more protein and didn't sweat calories at all. I'm wondering if I should up my protein? There are some experts that say we need 30-40 grams of protein with each meal? I'm also thinking that maybe because I was already eating a pretty low carb diet that my body is just going to take longer. Better weigh myself so I can make sure I'm not gaining :)

Here's a blog I did up to reference when people asked about protein needs... Protein range should be a goal to not go under or over by much. Atkins is protein based, but many of us in LCHF find that while some protocols there work, for most of us it wasn't sustainable long term because we weren't fueling from fats, which for me is key to my success. I call my plan LCHFMP - Low Carb High Fat Moderate Protein... I think the 30 grams of protein is the most your body can supposed absorb in one sitting. I have not found my protein consumption to be an issue, as long as I monitor it...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/how-to-calculate-your-protein-needs-749965
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

ONE time I showed moderate ketones. ONCE! I normally show trace or small no matter how low I go so I wouldn't sorry too much about it. ☺

I don't bother testing ketones, because those sticks only show wasted ketones. The sticks will show less and less after the break point there, because your body gets more efficient in USING what you're making, so as long as you stay under the carb limit, you'll get to Ketosis no matter what and stay there. For me, nutritional ketosis is all about patience and faith in the process.

Oh, and most folks get that change in energy somewhere in the first two to four weeks. For me it was like someone just flipped on a light switch. So hard to explain... I think it just depends on your own body's adaption...
  • Teleportation
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Hi! Fear of fat is real since we've been brainwashed about how bad it is forever (my forever at least)! It's a very important part of this woe, because it's the part that makes me unhungry! It took me a bit to get over that fear, but I'm glad I did! Good luck!

Thank you Karlottap. This WOE is so against the grain, so to speak. But when you look at the science it makes absolute sense. Man adapted to burn glucose from being a fat burner. We're really just reverting back to our evolutionary roots.
  • Teleportation
    Options

ONE time I showed moderate ketones. ONCE! I normally show trace or small no matter how low I go so I wouldn't sorry too much about it.

Thanks Angln. I've been reading more and more that keto strips are a waste. That being said I did test today and was moderate. I'll probably just look at it every once in a while.
  • Teleportation
    Options

I don't bother testing ketones, because those sticks only show wasted ketones. The sticks will show less and less after the break point there, because your body gets more efficient in USING what you're making, so as long as you stay under the carb limit, you'll get to Ketosis no matter what and stay there. For me, nutritional ketosis is all about patience and faith in the process.

Oh, and most folks get that change in energy somewhere in the first two to four weeks. For me it was like someone just flipped on a light switch. So hard to explain... I think it just depends on your own body's adaption...

Thanks knitormiss. And thank you for the blog. I'll check it out later tonight. i do trust the process and have lost 3 lbs so I'm pleased. And feeling what many rave about...very little hunger being the most marked. I ate a pretty low carb diet before this so it's been more subtle for me. I did have a crazy dip in energy on Sunday....very dizzy during yoga. But it's past for now. I ate very few carbs on Saturday by accident so that might be what happened. I need to hit that 20grams or I feel a little poopy. If I can lose another 8 lbs I will be pretty lean. I suspect it will take a while. I'm going to take my measurements tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Thanks knitormiss. And thank you for the blog. I'll check it out later tonight. i do trust the process and have lost 3 lbs so I'm pleased. And feeling what many rave about...very little hunger being the most marked. I ate a pretty low carb diet before this so it's been more subtle for me. I did have a crazy dip in energy on Sunday....very dizzy during yoga. But it's past for now. I ate very few carbs on Saturday by accident so that might be what happened. I need to hit that 20grams or I feel a little poopy. If I can lose another 8 lbs I will be pretty lean. I suspect it will take a while. I'm going to take my measurements tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

Actually, that energy dip is far more likely to be from sodium imbalance due to what is commonly called the keto flu. Water and sodium is a delicate balance, so your body will dump stuff to keep it. When you're too low in sodium, you'll get that dizzy, light headed, tired, muscle exhaustion, and so many other things, headaches, etc. Sodium should be at 5000 mg MINIMUM during adaption (so at least the first 4 weeks), then adjusting from there. Personally, I do a pinch of Pink Himalayan salts to every second water bottle I drink... It's the size you put in a grinder, so a "pinch" is maybe 1/8-1/4 tsp...

If you've lost sodium, then the body will dump potassium and magnesium to balance. Most folks are deficient in magnesium, so supplementing with a good form (not OXIDE, it's horrid, citrate or better) is a recommendation. Some folks need potassium, but it can be a bit trickier, as one can get too much of it easily...
  • Teleportation
    Options

Actually, that energy dip is far more likely to be from sodium imbalance due to what is commonly called the keto flu. Water and sodium is a delicate balance, so your body will dump stuff to keep it. When you're too low in sodium, you'll get that dizzy, light headed, tired, muscle exhaustion, and so many other things, headaches, etc. Sodium should be at 5000 mg MINIMUM during adaption (so at least the first 4 weeks), then adjusting from there. Personally, I do a pinch of Pink Himalayan salts to every second water bottle I drink... It's the size you put in a grinder, so a "pinch" is maybe 1/8-1/4 tsp...

If you've lost sodium, then the body will dump potassium and magnesium to balance. Most folks are deficient in magnesium, so supplementing with a good form (not OXIDE, it's horrid, citrate or better) is a recommendation. Some folks need potassium, but it can be a bit trickier, as one can get too much of it easily...

Thanks again knit. I've been drinking bullion and I take an electrolyte supplement called Nuun. I also supplement like crazy. I take magnesium but I just checked and its oxide. I googled and citrate is more bioavailable....but why is oxide horrid? Yikes. I'll get some citrate tomorrow. Thanks for all your knowledge.

On a positive note I made my first Keto chocolate mug cake. Not bad at all. I mean, it's the first chocolate I've had in almost two weeks. And chocolate was a daily thing for me in the past! I got all the necessary keto baking items off amazon so I'm going to make a treat every few days. Unless this stuff stalls my weight too much. Only 3 carbs though!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Magnesium oxide is the stuff they give you before a colonoscopy, so if you use it in any type of quantity, be sure you're near the bathroom! There are many other forms too, I have a citrate that's chelated for high absorption... I think @DittoDan linked to a post not long about where we discussed the different types of Mag and best absorption.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold butter is another great fat source.
  • Teleportation
    Options
    Well I'm on day 15 and I've gained 1/2 a lb. Grrr. Not sure why. I also tested with a ketostix and I'm only showing trace amounts of ketones. Hmmmm. I don't have a lot of weight to lose so I'm not expecting this to be fast but I was hoping not to gain!

I tested my ketones in the AM right after hot yoga. Could that have done it? Oh well. I'm cool with the WOE so I'm going to stick with it for at least a month more and see what happens. But I'll have to change if my weight doesn't budge. I know on a more traditional low carb/paleo I can lose weight. Just hungry all the time :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The body will naturally ebb and flow. If you're using your muscles, your body will retain water to heal them. That's pure science. It is not a straight decline. My initial weight loss charts looked like a patient hooked up to an EKG machine during a heart attach. Down 3 up 2 down 1 up 4 down 7 etc.... There was no predictability. My general trend seemed to be decent loss, slow gain, maintain, lather, rinse, and repeat.

Definitely not the time to test ketones. Hydration levels, etc., and so many factors affect the ketone level in your blood. Ketostix only show WASTED ketones, so as you adapt, the sticks typically continually get lighter....

And it is strongly recommended to get into nutritional ketosis for at least 12 weeks to fully adapt. That's when the best results kick in. Some people gain at first (the first month or six) because their bodies are repairing systems or such. If you have energy, you aren't hungry all the time, the key to succeeding on a ketogenic diet is patience...
  • Teleportation
    Options
    Thanks so much Knit. I'm going to stick it out. I feel good and I'm not hungry all the time...which is very nice. Just hoping to shed some fat in the next few weeks. I'm off to Hawaii in the beginning of December!

On another note I'm kind of concerned about the vacation. I mean the fish and veg are awesome. But I can't NOT have fruit...its just too good. The farmers markets have simply the best stuff in the world. I have read that if a person on keto suddenly ups carbs the weight can really pile on. I hope that isn't the case. I can forego the Mai Tais but not the fruit.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Focus on having your fruit early as you can in the day, and small but reasonable portions... Stick with berries and stone fruits where possible, and pair them with fats! (like cream, cream cheese, butter sauce, coconut cream, hard cheese, etc.). Minimizes the effect. The body handles carbs more effectively in the morning (for most folks)...and pairing with fats changes the way the body metabolizes them...
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just for a warning. Pineapple is free in Hawaii! It grows in abundance and they give it away. Be prepared for that. Pineapple used to be one of my favorites too, but way too many carbs!