Apple Watch -- accurate in daily burn estimate?

Options
shelly_38
shelly_38 Posts: 28 Member
I've worn my Apple watch for several months and love to track my steps. But I just realized that the watch will give me a daily caloric burn as well if I look at the Activity app on my iphone. I'm questioning whether it is accurate though, or even close?

Scooby gives me a TDEE of 2300ish. Heybales spreadsheet gives me closer to 2800. I've been eating around 2400-2500 for the last 2 1/2 weeks and I've lost a tiny bit of what I think was probably water weight -- 1.5 pounds in the first few days of increasing calories.

My apple watch is telling me that I burn on average 3000 calories per day. Can't imagine this is correct, though since the weight certainly isn't falling off me and I still have 10-15 pounds that I would like to lose. I've been trying to find my TDEE for the last couple of weeks.

Anyone else have experience with the Apple watch and Activity app? Any idea on how accurate it is?

Replies

• KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Does Apple watch have a heart rate monitor? I've never seen one. I don't think anything could be close without that.
  • lmarin85
    lmarin85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have been wondering the same for my apple watch- it shows my burns are around 2500-3000, which seem consistent with that days activity (but still quite a bit of food to eat to maintain). It does have the heart rate monitor- so I'm going with yes, its at least as good as a fitbit- maybe even better. It seems to me that you might be underestimating how active you really are? I'd be interested to know how you would do if you ate closer to what apple estimates your daily burn is- keep us posted!
  • shelly_38
    shelly_38 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well 2 days ago there was an update for the Apple Watch. And now it's saying my daily burn is much lower-- too low! Yesterday I had the most "active"calories ever and it said my total burn was 1800. For some reason it's calculating "resting energy" which is basically bmr at 1100. Very weird. I guess I just have to figure out tdee by my own experimentation!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Several on the Fitbit group compared and found the Apple watch off decently in either direction.

Either the daily stuff which relies correctly on steps and not HR (incorrect usage of HR-based calorie burn, below aerobic exercise) was way off because it didn't see all the steps or estimated distance wrong.

Or exercise because it lost HR accuracy as it went up just like Fitbit can, making HR-based calorie burn when it should be better estimate worse estimate.

So first to trust it you have to confirm if it's dealing with valid numbers.

While pace and weight are better than HR-based calorie burn for walking and running - the pace based on distance and time has to be correct. And even there - incline rarely is or isn't even seen - and incline counts big time when done.
  • lmarin85
    lmarin85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    so I got the update on monday night and hesitantly went ahead with it. I did my normal Tues body pump class yesterday plus an additional 30 min core class. My "total calories" for the day should have been well into the 2600's or more...but its only calculating 1849 for total calories burned. I rechecked all my stats to make sure they didn't get erased and all looks the same. Are you still having such a huge difference in your readings? any tips you can share? I'll try apple support, but hoping you came across something!