Question for anyone who doesn't eat sugar-

Options
SandyKani
SandyKani Posts: 8 Member
do you eat molasses? I've been off refined sugar for a week but bought some licorice made with molasses. I'm assuming since it's made from cane sugar it's a no-go. But I know it's has some
Nutritional benefits too.
Just wondering, thanks!

(Oh and the reason I stopped sugar was because I was really abusing it!)

Replies

• justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Molasses, like refined sugar, is a simple carbohydrate, which means our bodies will metabolize molasses as it does other simple sugars. However, there is a specific type of molasses that is high in calcium, magnesium and a few other minerals (I think it's called "blackstrap") which are, of course, nice micronutrients to get along the way. Sugar (including molasses) is not unsafe or bad, but it is best to careful moderate amounts, which I'm sure you already know, so please forgive me if that came off preachyish, it isn't meant that way. :smile:

I used to really abuse sugar, too, and until (if ever!) I figure out a way not to, I've cut most added sugars out of my diet. Sometimes I miss it a bit in a cup of tea, but not enough to actually have it.

• Stef1959
    Stef1959 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been off of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and all sugar substitutes for a little over a month now. (I am limiting my sugar intake from all sources to 15grams per day for now, so the little sugar I do eat is mostly from fresh fruit) The cravings for anything sweet are now gone completely. I can drive by the bakery without batting an eye, and I made a peach cobbler for company the other day and never even had a bite. If you are just starting out, at this point I would not try the molasses. In a couple more weeks you might not even want it. I have failed Weight Watchers many times in the past because I was always hungry and craving sweets. I know there is controversy about foods being addictive, but at least for me, I think the sugar or sweet taste was addictive.
  • SandyKani
    SandyKani Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I think I'll avoid it for a while. I'm still having honey and maple syrup until I start my 10 day detox next week. But I'm really happy since coming off the white sugar. But even the licorice is incredibly enticing and hard to stop once I start.
    So much easier to just not have it here!
    I've been enjoying a few "cookies" at night that I made with banana, rolled oats and some cocoa powder with a little almond butter. I eat dinner early so that helps me have something to hold me over until morning. And it's really satisfying.

Looking forward to the detox to see how I feel after.
  • GreenHeather2014
    GreenHeather2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty sulfite allergy, which includes sugar and molasses (I break out in hives). My list of other sugars I use: maple, brown rice syrup, agave. I prefer brown rice syrup most, but then I eat an Asian diet (mainly Japanese), so it's a natural compliment.
    I think if you can eat molasses, then some of it is okay. If it triggers sugar binging, then maybe a lower glycemic index sugar (like brown rice syrup or agave) would be a better substitute.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you are trying to be off sugar, my advice is don't eat sugar, honey, syrup, molasses etc. Eat fresh fruit, as much as you need to. It doesn't take long for fruit to be all the sweetness you need.

And after you are well settled in, a bit of dried fruit now and then is nice but you have to be careful with the dried fruit if you don't want to end binging on that too.

Its the sweetness that's the problem, not the fact that its sugar. A little bit of sugar is fine but if you are anything like me, really sweet food is so yummy i just want to keep eating more of it. That's why i quit sugar.

That said, i eat it in low risk situations.

• SeriousPC
    SeriousPC Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've recently dropped all sugar.. had to drop my morning coffee to accommodate. I have hot water with lemon.. and the only sugars I eat are natural now. I've gotten through the headache stage and having fruit seems to squish the cravings... favourite snack when I need a sugar fix - sliced apple sprinkled with cinnamon with plain greek yogurt... mmmmm... apple pie.. :)
  • Stef1959
    Stef1959 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the coffee @SeriousPC..... :( I know I drink way too much of it but it's the one thing I love that doesn't have any calories....I guess I'm lucky that I prefer it black. Have you ever tried it with a tiny bit of cinnamon? I'll have a cup of the unsweetened flavored coffees sometimes in the afternoon at work...I know most contain artificial flavors and that isn't really clean eating....There is a coconut flavored one that is very good and I've been meaning to try to find some natural coconut flavored extract and try to make my own for a treat.
  • SeriousPC
    SeriousPC Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, I miss my coffee @Stef1959 but its for a good cause... I might have to check out the cinnamon though... Id try the artificial flavoured mix but don't want let things slip away from me.. babysteps lol
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Over time I reduced the additives in coffee. Gave up sugar and lost five #s. When I stopped drinking milk in coffee, same thing. I've tried to add back rice or almond milk, but it's gross. So black, organic only, coffee.

Why organic? Because coffee and produce grown in South America can be sprayed with DDT and other terrible pesticides banned in the US, both in the field and certainly in customs (really don't know what they use to fumigate produce). I only know herbs that come from out of US are fumigated.

That is not clean and is very unhealthy ... cheap maybe, but not worth it. You can try veggie wash to try to reduce the contaminants.
  • ShirleyVJ
    ShirleyVJ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I peeked in here to see if I could ask for advice on limiting my sugar intake . . . Wow, you guys are totally off sugar!!!! I wish I could get there, it's so good. I've just consistently gone over my sugar allowance only everyday I've been on this except when I get a good amount of exercise in, at least I think?! Where to start, my dressings had sugar in them . . . I just ate a "naturally fruit flavored" yogurt as a snack and it took me over my sugar allowance, I'll do cardio tonight but how to stop this sugar greed. Lol. :-)
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ShirleyVJ wrote: »
    I peeked in here to see if I could ask for advice on limiting my sugar intake . . . Wow, you guys are totally off sugar!!!! I wish I could get there, it's so good. I've just consistently gone over my sugar allowance only everyday I've been on this except when I get a good amount of exercise in, at least I think?! Where to start, my dressings had sugar in them . . . I just ate a "naturally fruit flavored" yogurt as a snack and it took me over my sugar allowance, I'll do cardio tonight but how to stop this sugar greed. Lol. :-)

I really think paying attention and tracking it is half the battle, so it's great you're doing that! Some people find success in scaling it back on specific things (like dressings, as you pointed out, and sauces, etc.), but every time I tried that, I failed/yo-yo'd, so I finally bit the bullet and just cut it all (minus what is in fruits & veggies) and it took a solid two weeks before I got to a point where I finally felt so much better and no longer craved it at all. Everyone is different, of course, keep experimenting and you'll find what works for you! ♥
  • Notreadytoquit
    Options
    My favorite sugar fix is dates or apples with crunchy peanut butter or nut butter of choice.

You can core the apple & stuff with the butter, wrap and go or slice and eat it slowly. Sweet, salty, crunchy, fat .. very satisfying. My mom stuffed the dates with peanut butter and rolled them I sugar. Lol.
  • ShirleyVJ
    ShirleyVJ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes, I'm trying to scale it back hoping that will do it. Not ready to quit it altogether. I might get there or pretty close, if necessary. The apple with crunchy peanut butter sounds like "good times" for sure.:-) :-) I already eat it by dipping apple slices into "natural" sugar free peanut butter . . . trying it with crunchy might be a nice more satisfying change . . . coring and stuffing it sounds awesome!!!
  • Notreadytoquit
    Options
    I was at an herbal conference over the summer. I purchased a number of adaptogenic treats with super powers. One in particular I ate at 8:30 at night and found myself outside at 1:30 admiring the moon. It was an energy ball. Others were healthful and just plain delicious. So I set out recently to acquire healthy treat recipes. I'm now at goal with good BMI, recent md visit ... no diet restrictions.

What have I found so far? You can make good treats with 3 ingredients .... dates, nuts or seed & coconut oil or maple syrup or honey.

Recently I found a recipe for no guilt almond joy bites. 1 cup coconut, 3 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, raw organic almonds - 1 / bite, 70% bittersweet chocolate chips - 2-3 oz (half of recommended amt.) or you could try cocoa nibs with no sugar, 2 tablespoon honey. Process all but chocolate & almonds in food processor. Form into bite size bits. Put almond on each bit. Put in freezer while you melt chocolate. I double dipped, but it was overwhelming. Because the bites are frozen the chocolate sets up immediately. I think a teaspoon or less of chocolate drizzled over top would be more than enough. Recipe made 12, I made 17, but I think you could actually make about 30. Took around 45 minutes.

Anyone have any great immune boosting recipes to share for those days when nothing but sweet will substitute for sugar?
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    SandyKani wrote: »
    do you eat molasses? I've been off refined sugar for a week but bought some licorice made with molasses. I'm assuming since it's made from cane sugar it's a no-go. But I know it's has some
    Nutritional benefits too.
    Just wondering, thanks!

(Oh and the reason I stopped sugar was because I was really abusing it!)

I'm mostly off sugar. I use a little birch xylitol (I order on Amazon, make sure it says 'birch'). I also will use coconut sugar and organic maple syrup for recipes.