Im diabetic, over weight and on meds

Options
Hi..Im Lorrie. Im diabetic on meds and trying to eat healthy n exercise 3 dys/wk. Im tired of eating the same foods and having trouble reading labels its so confusing...can anyone help..

Replies

• winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Well what about the labels do you need help with. As a rule of thumb 15 g of carbs is considered one serving. So if for example you see a serving size that has 30 g then that is considered 2 servings. You are also supposed to subtract the fibre off of that. So if that 30 g of whatever your eating has 10 g of fibre....then you subtract 30-10=20. So it would be a serving and a bit of carb. My dietician told me to aim for 3-4 servings of carb PER meal (breakfast, lunch, and supper) and 1-2 carbs per snack. And ALWAYS eat protein with whatever you eat. This will help stabilize your sugars.

On another note personally I find the less carbs I eat the better my sugars are and a bit easier to lose weight. I usually eat a higher fat, higher protein with lower carbs. Today is not a good example as I ate a lot of bad things but take a look at my past days (my diary is open to the public). I also have started to eat a bit more carb which I should remove from my afternoon snack but not morning as my sugars are crazy low in the morning. It takes some patience, but the less processed crap I eat and the less carbs...the happier my body is....but I also wanted to state that I don't cut out all breads...I just limit them. I also eat a lot of fruit but a lot of diabetics are not able to so it really depends on your body and how it responds to it! Feel free to friend me if you would like :) I hope this helps and isn't too confusing.
  • LorrieWood1
    LorrieWood1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks for your info, Im jus new on here how do I friend you n I would love to see your food diary:)
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Finding carbs that are also high in fiber do help as they lower the glycemic index of the food as the vast majority of fiber is not metabolized.