able to eat fruit, nuts, yogurt, meat, ...but salad? :-O

Options
JudiMoving2
JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
I have recently discovered that I can eat nuts (cashews, pistachio) without a problem, even managed to eat popcorn. Still cannot eat meat without some saucy side to help it move through. But it is getting easier.
I am 5mo post RNY. I recently tried salad of mixed iceburg with romaine. This I chewed well, however later when digesting... ohh the pain. I can do 1/2 small apple, but raw veggies I am scared to try
When were you able to eat lettuce/romaine/spinach, raw veggies?

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I could eat anything after about 3 months. I can eat salad now where I never could pre surgery. I had a lot of digestive problems before my RNY and hernia repair on 9/27/12. At 3 years post op, the only problems I ever have are with carb overload--too many in one sitting--but that may very well be my type I diabetes (sugar rush) rather than a post surgical issue. My heart races. I never had had problems of any kind since my surgery--no nausea, vomiting, no dumping. I don't know if it's just me or if I can attribute this to my excellent surgeon and staff. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am seven months out and can do two maybe three bites of salad after my proteins but that's about it...I miss salad, no pains just no room...I still have to moisten most of my meats too, sometimes I can eat a steak that's nice and juicy but if it's well done forget it. I tried a raw carrot about three weeks ago and it was a no go...I am waiting for the day I can scoop hummus with them :)
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 3 months out, and I can eat small amounts of raw veggies, but then I'm full for 6 hours and my blood sugar gets wonky from not eating or drinking protein shakes. I want veggies in my diet (for nutrition reasons, as well as fiber), so I often put them into my morning protein smoothie. I can hide a cup of spinach in my chocolate smoothie.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    At 2.5 months out, I have not had a problem with any food. That being said, I haven't tried popcorn. Also, as a pescatarian, I haven't had any meat except fish, and that's been fine. Breakfasts have been raw fruit. Lunches raw veg and hummus. Dinners beans, etc. Snacks are nuts. At this point, I have no "No" foods. After such a rough start, I'm in a really good place.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yay for you Marta I'm a little envious ;)
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered that I can eat nuts (cashews, pistachio) without a problem, even managed to eat popcorn. Still cannot eat meat without some saucy side to help it move through. But it is getting easier.
    I am 5mo post RNY. I recently tried salad of mixed iceburg with romaine. This I chewed well, however later when digesting... ohh the pain. I can do 1/2 small apple, but raw veggies I am scared to try
    When were you able to eat lettuce/romaine/spinach, raw veggies?

Same here, I had the pains as well I am guessing but at about 6 months it got easier. I'm a little over a year out and its not one of favorite things. It doesn't hurt anymore but it doesn't keep me full. I get omelette and other things if I can. The way I introduced salad easier was having chef salads and eating more meat that the vegetables, my body handled it better.