Vitamins and supplements - what types/brands are you taking?

Options
Robin628
Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
Hi all - what vitamins and supplements is everyone taking? Do you have to take a chewable once sleeved? I am having a tough time finding a chewable multivitamin that is not gummy (I hate gummies) and I'd prefer to find one that is vegetarian/vegan (no gelatin). Just curious what everyone else has settled on short and long term.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    At 4 weeks post surgery, my surgeon cleared me to take vitamins and medications in whole pill form. I have no problem taking vitamins/pills although I know some people do. I take Centrum for women, calcium, magnesium, Hair, Skin, and Nails.
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Walgreens became my friend prior to surgery. I was able to find a chewable vitamin designed for post-bariatric patients there. It is called Optisource (made by Nestle Health Science). I take that 4 times a day. I am also taking a B-12 complex sublingual liquid, Caltrate (Calcium with vitamin D), Biotin, and a stool softener. All of that protein does a number on me. I have opted not take the Iron supplements, hoping I am getting enough in my other vitamins.
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am a year out and am still taking one called Bariatric fusion, they make a chewable, (it was recommended immediately after surgery) I couldn't handle it. I stopped taking it and got a little ill, Vitamin deficiency. They then said I could take the pill form 3x daily.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    as far as chewable multivitamins go, you can't beat Flintstones chewables and they're not a gummi. Of course if you're like me i buy the wal-mart brand; it's cheaper and has the same vitamin, mineral and iron content as Flintstones brand.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like the Bariatric Advantage products and I'm trying some of the OTC products
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum Adult Chewables. My nutritionist approved them. I've taken these since just before surgery and I'm almost 4 years out now and my vitamin levels have always been good when I get my blood tests.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I take Kirkland (costco) energy multivitamins. They're big and I'm terrified of one getting stuck after knowing what a stuck pill did to my mom who is a bypass patient, so I cut them in half before swallowing. Not a big deal. I also do 2 calcium chews throughout the day, and biotin and a potassium supplement before bed.
  • phlpn413
    phlpn413 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second the Flinstones w/ Iron! I take two each day at the recommendation of NUT, who also told me to avoid gummy vitamins.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the Centrum chewable multivitamin with extra Iron...I was taking the calcium citrate + d chews by bariatric advantage for the first 2 months, now I take the calcium citrate petites by citracal...and spring valley vitamin b12 sublingual 500 mg and now I can take it in the tablet or lozenge form
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I use the optisource chewable bariatric vitamins. I buy mine on amazon.com, I also use a chewable calcium caramel chew
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I take Trader Joe's chewable high potency multi-vitamins. They are cheaper, lower calorie, and lower carb than most other chewables (especially the "bariatric" ones). They are not gummy and have no gelatin. My labs have always been great :)
    I also take the generic version of Citracal petites, iron supplements of various brands, (iron was a problem for me before surgery as well), generic D3, Trader Joe's B12, and Jarrow MK-7/K2.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, glad to see there are a lot of options out there!
  • lizadaze
    lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started with Unjury vitamins post-surgery, but am now taking regular vitamins. It took me a while to find what would work for me and not upset my stomach. I now take the following:

2 tabs. GNC Hair, Skin and Nail Formula (primarily biotin and it works!)

2 tabs. GNC Ultra Mega 50+ Mini (the key here is the "mini" as the pills are smaller. I started with the larger one pill a day and they hurt my stomach. Somehow, two mini pills do go down much easier for me).

2 tabs. calcium +D (I prefer Citracal and plan to take their new slow-release formula next time I stock up).
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 2 years out and take store brand adult gummies. I actually look forward to my vitamins everyday. Oh, I also take a biotin supplement which helped stop my hair loss.
  • Athollass
    Athollass Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My Nut recommended the Celabrate bariatric vitamins and calcium. I tried the chewable tabs but they are too powdery. I like the orange multivit and caramel calcium chewables. Funny story, I left the packages setting on the counter one day and came back to find my hubby nibbling on my new "candy" :)
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Does anyone use Viactiv Calcium plus D dietary supplement? Contains 500 mg of Calcium - 500 iu of Vitamin D and 40 mcg vitamin of K. This tastes good. Easy to take. This is in addition to my multi-vitamin.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use Viactiv Calcium plus D dietary supplement? Contains 500 mg of Calcium - 500 iu of Vitamin D and 40 mcg vitamin of K. This tastes good. Easy to take. This is in addition to my multi-vitamin.

Viactiv is calcium carbonate. You'll absorb very little of that. You might as well not take it at all. You need calcium citrate.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I used to take Centrum chewable but now I just take a regular non chewable multi. For calcium, I take Celebrate Citrate wafers (they are not as good as the chews but much more financially manageable). Grim is right about the carbonate, you won't absorb it. Don't let people tell you their levels are fine because calcium levels are useless. Your body will pull calcium from your bones etc to maintain balance. The better indicator would be a parathyroid or bone density (at which put you have caused damage if it isn't good)
  • wifeydevine
    wifeydevine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Optisource chewables 4 times a day, a probiotic blend from Bariatric Eating called Journey Tummy Balance, Flaxseed oil twice a day, and GNC Natural Calm (magnesium citrate), once a day. I also take Colace twice a day and Linzess maybe once or twice a week for tummy issues.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me the store brand are fine once you heal enough to swallow whole pills again. So that's what I do, all vitamins and suppliments I buy with groceries.