Really struggling to lose weight

Options
jjmc000
jjmc000 Posts: 5 Member
I am 46 years old mfp suggests 1200 calories per day which I struggle to eat so I try to eat 1100 I lead a sedentary lifestyle weight loss is so slow 3 lbs in 6 weeks however over one weekend I managed to put 3 lbs back on I am so disheartened - any ideas should I reduce calories to 1000 or increase to 1200 help as I really do not want to give up

Replies

• hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't decrease. I would look at what you are eating. I am not suggesting eating low carb or low fat, I think that is up to individual's body's interaction with the food to eat. Are you eating too much junk food? You might want to switch up your diet and see how your body respond to food. I try to eat a low carb diet, because for me I tend to gain weight when even eating the littlest piece of bread.
    You say you lead a sedentary lifestyle. That is probably the biggest factor. If you can just walk 20 minutes a day (or less depending on your fitness level) even in a slow pace you should see a difference. You can increase the length of time and level of difficulty as your body gets used to the exercise. Walking in conjunction with a good diet is the best way to lose weight.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you need to decease your calories, I'm also sedentary, 43 and have a chronic illness so often can't exercise yet I've been on a 1200 calorie limit and do seem to lose weight when I stick to between 1100-1200 a day. Having said that, there have been times when I've stuck at the same weight for weeks or gained a few lbs either because I ate too much or just one of those weird weight gains that the body does sometimes. Don't worry about gaining a few pounds sometimes, it's normal to go up and down, as long as you keep on track you will lose it again. I know how frustrating it is when it comes off slowly but think of the long term goal and don't focus on the blips. If you can exercise that really helps but try not to eat back too many of your exercise calories as these are often overestimated. Like hakamruth says, if you can walk that's really good exercise.
  • jjmc000
    Options
    Thank you guys for advice - yes you are spot on I am eating junk in order to increase calorie intake so I will try to increase calories by eating healthier options and I am sure I can squeeze in a twenty minute walk per day. You have given me the motivation to keep going!
  • neetneet46
    neetneet46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im struggling too. I'm 49 and been trying to lose for a year. My calorie intake is1650. I exercise 5 days a week 30 minutes but close to 45. I've been working on my protein and fruits and vegetables. I'm praying it works . It can be depressing though
  • bekichitwood
    bekichitwood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and I know it tells me to eat 1200 calories a day, but I watch my protein and vitamins and fiber and if I'm done eating at 950 calories then I just don't eat any more and ignore the nagging. On the day that I don't exercise I really try to keep it around 1,000 and I have finally started to lose some weight.
    Using this app really helps me track the nutrition that I need and I really think that you would be OK if you eat GOOD nutrition and don't eat extra when you're not hungry just to hit your numbers.
    I know that my low days are often offset by 1200 or 1300 calorie days.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and 5'1.5". I lost 23 pounds in 6 months at 1500 calories/day. I don't eat all healthy food but I don't eat a lot of junk either. A mix. When I eat junk, I limit the serving. Like exactly 9 tortilla chips with the nacho cheese. Or just 5 or 10 Reese's pieces. Or a fun size candy bar.

But the other side of it, and one I think you definitely need to do is walking. That's my major exercise. Get a fitness tracker if you can. My Fitbit really does motivate me. I want to get my 10k and that buzz on my arm. Also, I use music when I walk. I walk to the beat. I'm always looking for some good fast songs to walk to. It definitely keeps the walks from being boring. I've made my own playlists that start gradual and build up to 4mph and then back down. I've got 9 lists I can walk to now. So it's not the same music every time.

Anyway, I think it's better to lose weight slowly. You build habits more. Crash diets don't work because after you reach your goal, you quit dieting and eat like you used to. You gain it all back. So losing slowly on a more gradual diet gets you used to eating less (or eating healthier) and moving more so that you can keep doing it once you've reached your goal without feeling like a life sentence.
  • jumpthemoon
    jumpthemoon Posts: 152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 46 and was having issues losing weight until I found the Beach Body programs. I lost 12 pounds doing Insanity (which took me at least a month of watching the infomercials and doing research before actually purchasing it), and I've been able to keep them off (except for the last 3-5 pounds that seem to want to hang around - no pun intended) doing different Beach Body programs. I've done T25, 21-Day Fix and just got PiYo. The last three are under 1/2 hour each, an intense workout, but then you're done. I usually go for a little walk after I complete them to cool down naturally and get some fresh air. Aside of my FitBit One which I wear all the time, I also invested in a Polar heart rate monitor watch that I use when I work out so that I can see the actual calories I burned and can log them here.

I also keep my calories around 1450 calories. I'll admit that I'm a carb hound (love a bagel or roll with my morning coffee), but otherwise, I eat pretty healthy and using this app honestly keeps my calorie consumption in check. If you have any questions about the Beach Body programs, let me know!
  • hummingbird314
    hummingbird314 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. I'm 4'10 and found if I eat 1200 I maintain but don't lose. I lose if I eat 1000 cal/day.
  • SeriousPC
    SeriousPC Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am setup for 1200 calories a day... but then my exercise increases my allowable intake and I always use them up too. Your body can go into starvation mode if you aren't careful. I'm losing slow and steady which I am hoping will be easier to maintain when I reach goal.
  • tarahughes24
    tarahughes24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 45 and have been on MFP and using an activity tracker for 2 and 1/2 months. I have been p'd off by how slow the process of losing weight has been for me too. My activity is limited by arthritis and fibromyalgia so can't throw myself into running or gyms and I have IBS and can't eat wholgrains, beans and lots of fruit.

I started off losing nice and slowly and steadily but then I have just had a month of uppy-downy weight, tiredness and mood. It was a bit rubbish but I'm through it (just) and I had to decide to just keep on keeping on and play the long game.

I've only lost 4.2kg (9lb 4oz) so far *but* it has been through being aware of what I eat and why (the logging) and trying to walk more (the garmin) and not by frantic unsustainable dieting. I reckon this is best, for me at least, as I'll be able to continue to lose slowly and keep it off.

Don't get me wrong though, I would LOVE to be a couple of stones down already and have people remark on it! No bugger's noticed yet ;-)

In this race I'm definitely the tortoise :-)
  • Cappy29
    Cappy29 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and recently lost 3 inches off my waist. I lift weights so any loss of lbs is minimal, but I've lost three in the past two weeks, this is my fifth week on the program. It requires 30 minutes of cardio before breakfast three times a week, with two longer cardio sessions twice a week. Along with lifting I've noticed serious changes in my body. It's rough, but the results are real.
  • jjmc000
    Options
    Hi guys just back from holidays so I need to get back on track starting today - watch this space! Has anyone tried quinoa? Iceland have a new range so I will give it a go and keep u posted. Thirty minute walk completed today. Does anyone else feel during pmt and period weeks that you just lose the motivation and will to stay on track because you feel so unwell? Should I take vitamins etc during those times? Any ideas to address those periods would be helpful.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    jjmc000 wrote: »
    Hi guys just back from holidays so I need to get back on track starting today - watch this space! Has anyone tried quinoa? Iceland have a new range so I will give it a go and keep u posted. Thirty minute walk completed today. Does anyone else feel during pmt and period weeks that you just lose the motivation and will to stay on track because you feel so unwell? Should I take vitamins etc during those times? Any ideas to address those periods would be helpful.

I just made a quinoa salad just yesterday. I make it in my rice cooker, and I usually add a few shakes of turmeric before turning on the cooker to turn it a lovely vibrant yellow-orange colour. It's a nice way to add a little bulk to salads or as an alternative base to rice pilafs (I've been making some with a bunch of different chopped up vegetables and some pine nuts).

I definitely relate to the feeling unwell during my period week - especially the first few days. I have chills/fever, and I feel so bloated and sore - with unpredictable moments of wretched pain. It didn't used to be so bad when I was on BCP, but I had to stop taking them because of migraines (serious increase of stroke risk). For the most part, I try to just wait it out and not over-indulge. I'll go a few days at maintenance instead of continuing to diet. Exercise is almost impossible during this time.

I actually went to the gym purely for cardio on one of these days last week, and I felt like I deserved a medal. The idea of lifting weights during this time is completely laughable. I can't wait for menopause. I'm sure that will bring with it its own host of stupid symptoms.

You asked about vitamins - unless your diet is really incomplete, it's unlikely that you are vitamin-deficient in any appreciable way, but you could always get tested. I am deficient in Vitamin D, but I have too much B-12. My docs don't recommend I take a multivitamin, but they okay-ed a Vitamin D supplement. I don't think that would have any effect on period symptoms, though.
  • AngelaStLaurent
    AngelaStLaurent Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You really need those calories even if you do lead a sedentary lifestyle. My suggestion would be to eat more often. I know your saying to yourself is she crazy eat more often I'll never lose weight! But in fact the more times a day you eat the faster your metabolism gets. I eat every 2 hours and it doesn't always mean it's healthy foods but I do smaller portions of the junk food. If you eat every couple of hours your body will say wait didn't we just eat and it has to work faster and harder to burn those extra calories throughout the day. Try it I lost 2lbs a week for six months and lost a total of lbs with little exercise. Also try and eat more protein enriched foods so you don't lose muscle mass. You can do it I have faith in you! Definitely start taking multivitamins and B-6 and B-12 help with card metabolism and energy.
  • blackangelcreations
    Options
    I'm 41. I'm finding it so much harder to lose weight now than I did when I was younger.
  • anandhi430
    anandhi430 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hai friends .I am 59 years old woman and from India. I have lost 3 kgs only from past 2 1/2 months.I have hypothyroid.and hypertension.I was 82kgs and now ,79 kgs. The weight loss is very slow. But who ever sees me they say I look thinner and and more healthier. I have lost more fat from my tummy region. I feel happy whenever my friends comment.I walk and burn more than 300 calories 6 days a week.I prepare my own dishes .i amsupposed to eat 1300 calories and I stay within the goal.I don't eat my exercise calories. Age matters I suppose
  • jjmc000
    Options
    Trying to focus on exercise so I have purchased 2 kettlebells 4kg and 6 kg - I completed Gillian michaels u tube video for level 1 - I had to get a shower afterwArds - body felt like jelly - I had to take small breaks in between - just realised how unfit I am but am motivated to shift a few lbs before Xmas! Unfortunately mfp does not register kettlebells in exercise diary so I am unsure how many calories that this burns.
  • countrcowgirl
    countrcowgirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For those that can exercise I was doing lots of cardio eating under 1500 calories a day and not losing much, when I went to see a trainer she suggested weights - actually did not suggest but said at my age (48) with menopause looming doing weights was important I have now loss 38 pounds since July. I do 45 minutes of cardio a day, and 30 minutes of weight followed by stretching 6 days a week.
  • anandhi430
    anandhi430 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thks .try to follow
  • jsreddblaze
    jsreddblaze Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this group. I am 40 years old. I have been struggling with my weight. Gained 30lbs within the last 2 years. I have logged faithfully for the past 65 days. I have lost nothing. I am up and down between 5lbs. It is frustrating and gives a sense of hopelessness. I workout cardio about 3x/week, and count my steps daily with a goal of 10,000. Lately, I have averaged about 6000 steps due to loss of motivation. Any ideas?