Time to address my Back Issue(s)

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
I fell on the ice in January and my back got a lot better but not completely better, and lately it's been a little worse.

Time for a game plan. I'm seeing a chiropractor tomorrow!

Replies

• fitotrim
    fitotrim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hope it helps! I've been improving with massages, but about ready to try a chiropractor too. Makes it hard to keep up with regular walks, exercise. It will get better!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    thank you !!!!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I herniated 3 discs about 9 years ago and was really incapacitated by it for a long time. I tried everything, physical therapy, chiropractors, cortizone shots.............all of it only gave me temporary relief.

Two years ago I started swimming at the gym and then hired a personal trainer who was also a physical therapist, they call her Doc at my gym. She worked with me for a year and through stretching, exercise to develop my core muscles and strengthen my hips I am now almost pain free and my left leg, which was numb and I was barely able to lift, is now just as strong my right leg.

It took a lot of patience and hard work and someone who really knew what she was doing, but I thank my lucky stars everyday that I found her.

I hope the chiropractor helps but if it doesn't keep looking for solutions....sometimes they appear when you don't really expect them to.

BTW, the swimming helped a lot too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The pool might be good for you.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Chiropractors can be very helpful. As can acupuncture. I hope you will be able to get some relief soon.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Physical therapy, osteopathic manipulation, therapeutic massage, and getting stronger have all helped my back in the past. Currently having some (fairly minor, yet annoying) issues . . . my osteopath says it's probably my body trying to find a new, comfortable equilibrium after my having lost 54 pounds - weight distribution is quite different. Good luck!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Lift.
    Lift heavy.
    Lift often.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Lift.
    Lift heavy.
    Lift often.

+1
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here. My back pain is almost completely gone after losing 75 lbs. and getting healthy. I find lifting weights mind-numbingly boring, so not for everyone, Find what works for you. Yoga is another thought.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    After my 4th visit to the chiropractor, he suggested that I do more pilates to help strengthen my back. I was anyway going once a week but now I'll step it up.

It can't hurt !
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Lift.
    Lift heavy.
    Lift often.
    ^^^^Agreed^^^^

Yoga
    Yin Yoga
    Yoga often!!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    After my 4th visit to the chiropractor, he suggested that I do more pilates to help strengthen my back. I was anyway going once a week but now I'll step it up.

It can't hurt !

It's amazing how much you realize that certain muscles support your back after you injure it. I've been lucky and have gone quite a while since having issues with my back, and have to attribute part of that to the weight loss and spending more time working on my core.

The last I went to the doctor I was told that back surgery at some point in my life was almost a certain thing. I'd rather prove him wrong given the option.
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

It can't hurt !

I have at home a "Malibu Pilate chair" It comes with a DVD. U might look in to this :)

• MostlyWater
    Options
    Yeah, well .....

It's been a month. I'm not better.

I am giving up my heavy weights and doing more barre burn, more pilates. Today I did The Deep Extreme and I'm going to continue to Spin for cardio.

He agrees with me to give it until the end of the year .....

Then, I guess I can look forward to physical therapy !!!!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    So sorry, hope things get better.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Thank you.

It's actually not so terrible ... my gym offers Barre Burn, many kinds of pilates and yoga, and even Barefoot Cardio as well as The Deep Extreme. And I spin of course. I'm still in the gym 6 days a week. I'm just not doing any heavy weight classes.

I'm not in a lot of pain. I just can't do everything that I want to.

And except for Spin, I don't have to bring sneakers or wrist supports to the gym so my bag is a ton lighter; and I don't sweat enough to have to shower and wash and dry my hair each time ...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That program of classes you designed for your needs looks good. :) I had to look up Deep Extreme. Barre Burn looks fun. I loved yoga but got away from it for a while and want to get back.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Yesterday I did Liquid Strength. Weird names make it fun !!!
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My wife is a physical therapist. She has her license, but does other things now. She started in a hospital, but after a few years got frustrated because she spent a lot of time filling out insurance forms and was unable to do things that would get people better because insurance would not pay for that nonsense. She spent about 12 years working at swimming pools and had tremendous succee because she could spend 45 minutes with a person a couple times a week and address their problem. I really like luluina's testomny above because she was able to find a person who would help her and work with her individually. I think the key to having success is working with a knowledgable person one on one.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Mccmack wrote: »
    My wife is a physical therapist. She has her license, but does other things now. She started in a hospital, but after a few years got frustrated because she spent a lot of time filling out insurance forms and was unable to do things that would get people better because insurance would not pay for that nonsense. She spent about 12 years working at swimming pools and had tremendous succee because she could spend 45 minutes with a person a couple times a week and address their problem. I really like luluina's testomny above because she was able to find a person who would help her and work with her individually. I think the key to having success is working with a knowledgable person one on one.

That's interesting Mccmack because the trainer who helped me was actually a physical therapist who gave that up to become a trainer so she could spend more time with people overcoming injuries or surgery. She just got tired of the 4 to 6 weeks of PT that insurance would pay for.........it wasn't long enough to get people well.

I got lucky!