Supplements on Keto :-)

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins Do you happen to have the recommended daily doses of K2 handy? I don't want to have to sort through a dozen sites to find it... Also, my D3 + K2 is just not awesome. After it's gone, I'll be looking for another form of K2 to add to my supplement list...
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I only take folic acid, as I am not on birth control and monitor my cycle to avoid pregnancy. But accidents do happen and I'd rather be cautious.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I used the product below for my source of K and take one 2x daily. I have purchased K2 only and I get with with both type 4 and 7 of K2. K2 has no level that is considered to be an overdose. Google the subject. I went this one because at the time it was my first choice.

In short Vit K2 tells Vit D where to transport Calcium to in the body. It seems to be able to remove it from arteries and heart valves and move it to bones and teeth.

The best way from my research to know if one is short on K2 levels is if one has a hard buildup on teeth that has to be scrapped off at each time one has a teeth cleaning. If K2 level is good then there will only be soft plaque to clean near the gum line.

The reason women taking calcium increases heart disease seems to be due to low Vit D/K2 levels. If K2 levels are high it prevents overdosing on Vit D as I understand it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I used the product below for my source of K and take one 2x daily. I have purchased K2 only and I get with with both type 4 and 7 of K2. K2 has no level that is considered to be an overdose. Google the subject. I went this one because at the time it was my first choice.

In short Vit K2 tells Vit D where to transport Calcium to in the body. It seems to be able to remove it from arteries and heart valves and move it to bones and teeth.

The best way from my research to know if one is short on K2 levels is if one has a hard buildup on teeth that has to be scrapped off at each time one has a teeth cleaning. If K2 level is good then there will only be soft plaque to clean near the gum line.

The reason women taking calcium increases heart disease seems to be due to low Vit D/K2 levels. If K2 levels are high it prevents overdosing on Vit D as I understand it.

That's extremely interesting. I guess I'm good in general, because at my last cleaning, she said that I just needed to aim my toothbrush at my gum line, because that was the only place I was getting build up! LOL My calcium level is still low in bloodwork, but we all know that so many tests only reflect the serum level active in the blood...

My K2 I've been taking is with D3, and my old D3 was 1000 IU per drop...and this was the same brand, and I read it as 1200 IU D3 and 50 mcg per DROP, but it was per DROPPER, which is 20 drops. So, to get around 5000 IU of D3, I was using 4-5 drops, which was only actually 25% of what I thought I was getting...

So I was getting 300 I.U. of D3 roughly and 12.5 mcg of K2. Atrocious, I know!!

So, I've bought the D3 separately again, and will be seeing what other options i have for K2... I probably have the link you've posted previously on the supplement! LOL

Oh, and I don't supplement K(1)? separately. I seem to remember hearing that it was not generally deficient in the body. Do I need to have K1 and K2?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

That's extremely interesting. I guess I'm good in general, because at my last cleaning, she said that I just needed to aim my toothbrush at my gum line, because that was the only place I was getting build up! LOL My calcium level is still low in bloodwork, but we all know that so many tests only reflect the serum level active in the blood...

My K2 I've been taking is with D3, and my old D3 was 1000 IU per drop...and this was the same brand, and I read it as 1200 IU D3 and 50 mcg per DROP, but it was per DROPPER, which is 20 drops. So, to get around 5000 IU of D3, I was using 4-5 drops, which was only actually 25% of what I thought I was getting...

So I was getting 300 I.U. of D3 roughly and 12.5 mcg of K2. Atrocious, I know!!

So, I've bought the D3 separately again, and will be seeing what other options i have for K2... I probably have the link you've posted previously on the supplement! LOL

Oh, and I don't supplement K(1)? separately. I seem to remember hearing that it was not generally deficient in the body. Do I need to have K1 and K2?

If you eat leafy greens, you're very likely getting enough K1. It's pretty abundant, it's K2 that's rare, and humans suck at converting K1 to K2.

As for recommendations, I highly recommend investing in the Green Pastures FCLO/Butter Oil combination if you can swing it at all. The capsules are a 2-month supply if it's just you taking it, so keep that in mind, since the bottle's like $50, but it's so worth it in my opinion. The balance of A, D, and K2 is pretty spot-on perfect to prevent overdose of any of them.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I had to take 20,000 units of Vit D3 for nearly a year to finally get my level out of the 20's to the mid 90's. I do take K2 (menaquinone-4) at 1000 mcg and K2 (menaquinone-7) at 200 mcg daily at min. Everyone should take note of what @Dragonwolf stated about A, D and K2 balance needed and Google for more details.

Some countries focus on type 4 and others on type 7 of K2 is the reason I do both. There is no known way to OD on K2 based on the research so I often do it morning and night. Type 4 half life is only like 4 hours but type 7 is longer. The Super K with Advanced K2 Complex runs $15-$30 for 90 soft gels. I think I gave $17 per bottle a few weeks ago.

Often I use WalMart for D3 but the last I got was about $12 for a year's supply (Doctor's Best from the web). It is 5000 IU strength and 360 softgel count. Government number (USA) is 4000 IU daily. I have read repeatedly if one goes over 10,000 units daily with a good amount of K2 that you should have it checked more often.

I prefer to keep a year supply of each because of all the ton of supplements that I take I would panic without D3 and good K2. I take the K1 just because it is in the complex I take. 1000 mcg of type 4 K2 and 200 mcg of type 4 K2 is the absolute min dosage I would want to take to be effective based on my research.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I know that sometime last year, I was taking 10,000-15,000 IU to fend off SAD (I was having undiagnosed, since resolved, sun exposure issues) and to get my levels out of gutter level low, but after a certain point, I started feeling really sick, and I started looking into it. Unconfirmed, but appeared to be overdoing that supplement, but as you said, I wasn't adding K2. Maybe I'll looking into starting all this up with holiday money. Right now it's hard enough to do what I'm doing!! I just need to figure out how to get this Rxed by my doc so I can afford to medically reimburse for all this stuff. I've got my D3 and magnesium stuff covered under that line item... :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    There may be cheaper K2 supplements but mine is about $6 (USA) month. I did not know taking Vit D3 could lead to death if K2 was not there to protect the blood flow to the heart until about 6 months ago.

K2 seems to be key in making sure Vit D3 drives our calcium into our bones and teeth instead of our arteries and heart valves.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H2-qqQCD4xM

This doctor from Canada does a good job about the danger misdirected calcium due to taking Vit D3 with low levels of K2. It can be watched at 1.25 or 1.5x speed.

The below link is a summary of her book about Vit K2. The right side bar has a shorter summary that you can read in 1-2 minutes.

Best of success in your efforts to protect your heart.