Sugar substitutes

Options
fatchimom
fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah.... here's another one that I'm sure has been discussed to death!!!! I've been looking at a lot of low carb recipes and they either call for Stevia or erythritol, or a combination. What is the difference and can recipes be made with either? Also, some recipes call for liquid Stevia as well as powdered or granulated. I'm wanting to get out of my meat and cheese comfort zone and try some new stuff!!

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    You are best using both stevia and erythritol. Since stevia has a slight licorice aftertaste, the erythritol will mask it. Think of truvia in the little packets, it's a mixture of both :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I like the powdered stevia/erythritol blend as well as reduced amounts of xylitol for baking, liquid stevia for liquids like adding when whipping cream, but only use a bit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use liquid stevia in my cooking and baking. It's best not to add too much or you end up with the aftertaste.

I find 1-3 drops is similar to a (small) tsp of sugar, and a tsp of stevia has a similar sweetness as a cup to 1.5 cups of sugar... Approximately. I would add it slowly and check the taste to make sure it isn't too much.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Also liquid stevia and liquid sucralose contain less carbs than the granular version of each.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't use any "granular" subs, as they contain fillers, which impact my insulin response. Stevia is best "flavor wise" when combined with another sweetener, as it's an enhancer, too. But for me, all I use is Sweet Leaf brand Stevia (liquids and powders). I have reactions to every other type I've tried...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After I got off of all grains and most all sugars I found no reason for sugar substitutes. Actually I can not keep straight which ones lead to an early death and which do not. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I use just stevia, because I can never find erythritol in the stores I frequent and I haven't bothered to look further or order online.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I use just stevia, because I can never find erythritol in the stores I frequent and I haven't bothered to look further or order online.

Just remember, not all stevias are created equally. Anything with Dextrose, Maltodextrin, and/or Natural Flavors (often MSG, according to my doc), generally have a high GI than sugar (the first two) or bad reactions for many folks (the last one).... Make sure you know what you're getting!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Just remember, not all stevias are created equally. Anything with Dextrose, Maltodextrin, and/or Natural Flavors (often MSG, according to my doc), generally have a high GI than sugar (the first two) or bad reactions for many folks (the last one).... Make sure you know what you're getting!

I'm using the "Pure Via" brand.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

That one still has Dextrose as the filler, if I remember right, but it's far less bad than some other Stevia's. It was my go to prior to switching to sweet leaf brand... Just check your box. :) But if it doesn't affect you badly, you're likely okay...
  • deksgrl
    Options

That one still has Dextrose as the filler, if I remember right, but it's far less bad than some other Stevia's. It was my go to prior to switching to sweet leaf brand... Just check your box. :) But if it doesn't affect you badly, you're likely okay...

It doesn't seem to be affecting me. But any kind of weirdness that happens with me I always think is from wacky hormones, not foods. lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I SO hear you there, too. I walked in to my doc yesterday and she asked, "How are you?" "Other than a mess, I'm great." About the only two things I learned yesterday, sorry, three things 1) MSG or a form of it are in damned near everything, 2) swelling/edema in an otherwise normal person is generally a sign of thyroid issue - not heart issue - that has to go untreated for a long time to show in that way, and 3) that I'm not in menopause, according to bloodwork.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sugar is the only sweetener that I like. I'm cutting back on it. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get away with having one dessert a week, instead of sweetened yogurt every day.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I use granular replacements, they do not list any fillers on the packaging here. I use either natvia (erythritol and stevia) or norbu (monk fruit and erythritol). Norbu is my favourite, it tastes great, but natvia is cheaper. I think they are Australian made products.

I've made some delicious pavlovas using each.