Found the Perfect Recipe Site

Options
2»

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    @DreamOn145: Love butternut squash soup. Even Campbells Organic in a box is pretty good! But, yours sounds so much better!
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Very cool, thanks for the tip!
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I also love the recipes from EatingWell. I also love CleanEating.com. I check out healthy eating/cooking blogs frequently. I made a HUGE change (former English major so this was huge) when I retired/moved/and developed a serious dust allergy. I gave up books, magazines, and (this was a killer) cookbooks. I donated probably a TON of cooks including an entire bookshelf of cookbooks. And now that I learned to live with it I LOVE the decision! There are sooooo many recipe sites out there! I keep a notebook in the kitchen (ok, just branched to #2) and I print recipes that I have found online and loved when I tried them. No flagging 10 recipes in a cookbook I later have to dust! And I save a ton of money because my husband and I both have Kindles so we share books on the family plan because he has Kindle unlimited and I also belong to a bookclub that allows me to download and share.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Oh btw, I am glad you started this thread. People in this group come with the most amazing information! I am sure this thread will be no exception
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    DreamOn, When I moved to Australia, years ago, I had over 300 cookbooks. All were sold at the yard sale we had when we sold our townhouse before the move. I have a very small (for me) collection, but I primarily use the online sites, blogs, etc. now. I also use Prime and have many cookbooks on the Kindle because of that. I also have a LARGE three ring binder that gets tried and true recipes added to it.

Speaking of blogs, my favorite foodie blog has to be http://ruhlman.com. He is a great food writer, his cookbooks are simple but classic. He has the most amazing links to other food bloggers too. His book Ratio is like a cooking bible to me. I use recipes to get ideas, I rarely follow them to the letter. Ratio helps me adapt amounts to two people sizes etc.
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Michael Ruhlman!! I have Ruhlman's Twenty on my Kindle. He really gets down to the basics so you know the functions and behaviors of ingredients and how to cook them. The first thing he says to do when you're in the kitchen is to THINK! Pretty basic, but so many times I don't bother with that and just throw things together. I will now have to get Ratio!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing ..... I'm seeing a nutritionist this week and would like to ask her opinion ..... have several health issues & cannot figure out what to eat/not eat anymore :p
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Not sure if I mentioned it but I am loving Bookbub. You put in your preferences and every day it suggests amazon finds for free-$2.99. I have gotten several cooking, history, and health books since I started it for very little!
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I get Bookbub too. Now I have so many books on my Kindle, I don't know anymore what I have. Sure wish they would come up with a simple way to organize them. But I still love Bookbub!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    @janmoulder2 You can create "Collections" on your Kindle. They stay on the Cloud. You could organize the cookbooks that way.
  • RuthDuckless
    RuthDuckless Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Will check that site out - I can sure use some help with meal planning -my recipes.com And I love Bookbub too. I now have to live to about 100 to read everything I downloaded to my Kindle reader. I also have a Kindle Fire but prefer reading on the e-reader
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bumping for newbies.
  • retirehappy
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Bump it time for the newbies.

And I have a question for anyone reading. Do you use Mastercook.com or the full PC/Mac version? If so do you know of any good collection of low cal recipes that are available for download?