Groceries?

Options
I need a low budget/ low cal grocery list to get in shape for Christmas! I need to learn how to eat healthy and if you have recipes...bonus! I just don't know what to buy/ eat. Looking for 3 meals and 3 snacks! Thanks guys!

Replies

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I shop and cook for a family of 4, so I don't know if that will be applicable to you. I am including only the stuff I ate. Here is what I did this week:

Breakfast: Eggs, sauteed bell peppers, and one piece homemade whole wheat bread or 1/2 cup homemade granola.

Lunch: Salad with black beans, homemade dressing, and brie on Wasa crackers

Snack: Siggi yogurt (this is not cheap! Big tub of plain yogurt is cheaper, obviously), string cheese, apples, homemade custard

Dinners: Black bean enchiladas, tofu spring rolls and smoothies, and big salads with chickpeas and baked "french fries"

Shopping list: (a bunch of the staples I already had in the pantry but I included them below in case you don't)
    dry black beans
    dry chickpeas
    lettuce
    tomatoes or whatever salad veggies you like
    olive oil and vinegar for salad dressing
    eggs
    bell pepeprs
    whole wheat flour for baking bread
    oats, coconut flakes, and maple syrup for granola
    Brie
    Wasa crackers
    yogurt
    string cheese
    apples
    corn tortillas
    salsa verde (I made over the summer and froze, but you could buy jarred)
    Potatoes
    tofu
    spring roll veggies (I used lettuce, zucchini, carrots because thats what was in the fridge)
    spring roll wrappers
    peanut butter, soy sauce, and vinegar for spring roll sauce
    cheddar cheese to go in enchiladas
    banana and frozen strawberries for smoothie

• curbanec
    curbanec Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stick with fresh & frozen fruits and veggies, fish, chicken, lean red meat occasionally as well as lean pork, brown rice, quinoa or similar whole grains
    snacks, low-fat plain Greek yogurt, raw nuts or natural nut butter, popcorn, cottage cheese, eggs, oatmeal (not instant)
    I find it easiest to plan your meals for the week and I do food prep on Sunday's this includes, cleaning, cutting up and maybe steaming or roasting veggies, cleaning my fruit, hard boiling eggs for snack or salads. I don't like to cook my protein early so I just make sure I take it out of the freezer if needed in the morning for evening meal. I do sometimes cook up some chicken breasts for the weeks salads or wraps.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    splitchick wrote: »
    I need a low budget/ low cal grocery list to get in shape for Christmas! I need to learn how to eat healthy and if you have recipes...bonus! I just don't know what to buy/ eat. Looking for 3 meals and 3 snacks! Thanks guys!

hate to be a meanie ... but 'Do your own Homework' You will learn so much more from it and be able to utilize your own tastes.

One tip I can give that is universal ... buy and cook all your own food and snacks ... it costs a lot less when you do the prep work and cooking than when you buy it already dressed or made.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Go to a well equipped news stand and buy a Clean Eating magazine. Dozens is recipes, a 2 week meal plan calendar, and a shopping list at the back of the magazine. A great place to start. Or check out their website.
  • goktgo2cktgo
    goktgo2cktgo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The big thing I have found is cutting out sugary drinks - you don't need them, we all need more water!

Also if you can shop in the bulk bins section where you scoop and weigh yourself you are going to save a lot of money!