Dining out?

Options
Ok so I'm new to this low carb - pretty much doing Atkins style and still in my first week. Just looking for advice/ideas of what to do when eating out. I'm away from home at theweekend and although I have lots of low carbs snacks sorted eating out will be unavoidable so any ideas would be appreciated x

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My go to's are:

Bunless burger, double patty, double cheese, bacon, tomatoes, pickles, mayo and mustard. No sides.

Most salad options are ok...ditch croutons, fruits, and anything "candied" If in doubt, dressing on the side.

Steak (with or without shrimp and mushrooms) with steamed veggies, extra butter and cheese, please.

Fajitas without tortillas, beans, and rice, extra sour cream, guacamole, cheese.

Taco salad (same as above) without the shell, etc.

Chicken breast, veggies, side of mayo, etc.

Typically, if you know where you will be, look up the restaurants near where you'll be and make 3-4 options for your choices so if something doesn't sound good, you'll have a backup plan.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Everybody has their own madness. I eat out more than I'd like. I bring my food scale and an avocado with me. Avocados have become my secret weapon in my LCHF WOE. I then order and eat 4 oz of grilled dead animal and a big green salad with ranch dressing.

Great advice!

Most burger / sandwich items can be ordered without the bun. Many restaurants have given it a creative name - protein style, unwich, etc.

For the first time in months I ordered a slice of pizza at Costco, ate the toppings, threw away the bread.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Just order any meat meal (steak/chicken/fish) with a veg or side salad. Also while I'm out I always keep a Hardee's close by for their low carb burger!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Some pizza places will even do crustless for you, too... I'd forgotten about that. My guy spazzes if I go to toss crusts, so I generally try not to do that around him... Be wary though, some sauces have a lot of sugar.
  • iammantistobbogan
    iammantistobbogan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - lots of options
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    .. Be wary though, some sauces have a lot of sugar.

Good point. I tend to get into routine / ruts, so it's a good reminder to not do this everyday or I may be slain by carb creep.

Same reason I won't do the fast food protein style very often.

Fine in a pinch, but not as a lifestyle.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I find I can eat anywhere, just leave the carbage in the kitchen! The only type I haven't tried is Asian, but many have had great success. It's easier than you think! Best of luck, and safe travels! :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I find I can eat anywhere, just leave the carbage in the kitchen! The only type I haven't tried is Asian, but many have had great success. It's easier than you think! Best of luck, and safe travels! :smile:

I've done it well, and then again, I've done it not so well. It's all about educating yourself and making reasonable choices...but that's the same with everything.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I am new also and when I went to McDonald's I order my burger wrapped in lettuce. I got weird looks but when I saw the scale the following day, I had a huge grin on my face. Didn't miss the bun and I was glad I could still eat with the family.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

The sauces are what kill Asian, other than the rice. If you can control the sauce and rice, it's not too bad.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I get some kind of meat, and substitute extra veggies for the starch/rice/potatoes. Or in the few places that will not substitute something, I just don't eat the starch side, I get a box and take it home to my dog.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    At the local Huddle House I get the 2 egg/3 strips of bacon meal less all forms of carbs and they add an egg for the same price. I better shut down and go before they start calling me. :)
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where you are eating. I just get protein. For example at a place my wife likes I get a half chicken (don't forget to eat the skin). I also find it helps if I'm not hungry when I get there so I always snack an hour before going out. Soda water to drink. If you want to have a "drink, drink" then Vodka soda with lemon and lime slices is a very refreshing bevvie. Sounds like you might be in the UK. So, Sausage and Egg would be great. Ask if the sausage is Gluten Free - you'll look hip and at the same time make sure there isn't any bread in the sausage.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The sauces are what kill Asian, other than the rice. If you can control the sauce and rice, it's not too bad.

Although Thai curries have great coconut milk/cream - so no problem with the sauce, just make sure no baby corn, carrots in your curry as they are higher in carb

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Although Thai curries have great coconut milk/cream - so no problem with the sauce, just make sure no baby corn, carrots in your curry as they are higher in carb

In moderation, even those are fine.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    If you have a Chipotle or Qdoba you can get a naked burrito/burrito bowl without the rice or beans. I just get the meat, cheese, sour cream, hot salsa, and guacamole...it's really filling!

Even before I was LCHF I had celiac disease so I'm used to ordering all manner of sandwiches without the bun. They will usually wrap them in lettuce or put them in a bowl for you!

The Huddle House was mentioned above but basically any all day breakfast spot is a great option because you can order just eggs and meat! Just beware of omelets. Ihop puts pancake batter in theirs to make them fluffier.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    If you have a Chipotle or Qdoba you can get a naked burrito/burrito bowl without the rice or beans. I just get the meat, cheese, sour cream, hot salsa, and guacamole...it's really filling!

Even before I was LCHF I had celiac disease so I'm used to ordering all manner of sandwiches without the bun. They will usually wrap them in lettuce or put them in a bowl for you!

The Huddle House was mentioned above but basically any all day breakfast spot is a great option because you can order just eggs and meat! Just beware of omelets. Ihop puts pancake batter in theirs to make them fluffier.

Chipotle...it's the way to go if you're out and hungry. Two thumbs up!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Another vote for Chipotle. They have a salad option, too (and you can tell them no dressing). Same thing as a burrito bowl, but with the "salad" lettuce instead of the "burrito" lettuce. The salad lettuce is cut in larger pieces and you get more of it. I've been doing that for a while, too. I usually get steak (double if I'm hungry), the tomato/mild salsa, sour cream, and extra cheese.

If you're in the midwest, Bob Evans is a good choice. Fresh ingredients, very customization friendly, and no pancake batter in the omelets. :) Their online menu even has a gluten free section, which is helpful in filtering out at lot of their items that have hidden carb sources (like the creamy soups, which are thickened with flour) and bypassing some of the potato sides on the breakfast dishes and giving more suitable alternatives.
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I ate at a Chinese place on Saturday, and ordered Egg Drop Soup and Moo Goo Gai Pan, since those seem to be fairly frequently recommended for low carb. Now, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there was a buttload of cornstarch in each to thicken them up. It made me a little suspect.