First night out - eeek!

Options
ndvoice
ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
Started Keto about 3 weeks ago & tonight was my first night eating out. (Or eating out at all)
I think I made good choices, but would appreciate critiques & pointers for next time. Here's what I had:

*on the way to restaurant I drank a bottle of electrolyte water
*had one "adult drink" - grey goose vodka with seltzer water & a lime wedge.
*Ate a large Greek salad with feta cheese & 8 oz steak tips & oil / vinegar
*no croutons, no bread, no starchy veggies

I know I could have skipped the alcohol, but frankly I didn't want to lol. Not a big drinker - so this would be a rare occasion.

Any room to improve? I think I'm "getting" this?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds delicious! You did great in my opinion!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. Sounds wonderful! It looks great to me.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yummy all around!
  • ndvoice
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are other "safe" veggies, too, that you can eat at a restaurant, so it might help for future outings to make a list of what you're okay to eat in advance so that you're not stuck with a hard decision (or checking your phone frantically for advice)...because that meal sounds like it was and awesome choice.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me!!
  • ndvoice
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback & advice. I think I'm getting the hang of this!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You did good! Restaurants are always a challenge, since I like to be social and get tired of cooking. Pretty much, most restaurants can accommodate low carb eating.

Tex-Mex or Mexican: Fajitas, no tortilla, no rice, no beans, extra cheese and sour cream, substitute a leafy salad

Steak houses are no brainers, substitute asparagus, brocolli, salad for potatoes

Chinese, Thai, Asian: find/ask waiter about the meals that use sauce will little sugar in them. No rice.

Pizza: Scrape the toppings off, almost everything the can put on a pizza is Keto (except sugary BBQ sauce and Pineapple).

Fast food: Cheesburger, no buns

Fish, Red Lobster: Any fish,shrimp,etc that is broiled, baked or lightly breaded, ADD extra melted butter on everything!

Chicken places: (A little harder) Most heavily bread, but some don't, just look at them. Also, many have broiled, baked, or rotisserie chicken. Get a salad instead of fries.

The only places that I avoid, are sandwich shops like Panera, Subway, Quiznoes. Its hard to get enough meat, but most of their toppings are good. I haven't tried to eat there, but I'll betcha I can figure something out if I went there.

Buffets are the easiest to eat at, BUT, you can easily go over on calories, so be careful.

I actually think its fun to try to eat Keto at any restaurant. Happy hunting, and don't let this diet restrict you! Go out and have fun! :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 194.9, 119 pounds down, 16 to go. 13.75 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto
    Well Meaning Advice Given to You ~ That is Just Plain Wrong!
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Chinese, Thai, Asian: My two favorites - A huge order of Sashimi!! and Seaweed and crab salad.
  • ndvoice
    Options
    Thanks Dan!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've been to subway. I've ordered the foot long (whatever type) without the bread. Heat the meat and cheese, put into their salad plate, add toppings...get some weird looks, but I get two meals out of it. I don't order the salad because it's not enough meat. I've only had one subway not want to do it since they "Have to inventory their salad plates." Whatever! You want my money, or not? That one was out of town though, so not the one I would regularly to to.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can order an "Unwich " at Jimmy Johns - any sandwich wrapped in lettuce without the bread.

Had my first one this week and it was great!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @ndvoice you did well.

I eat out once daily but only have 3 fried eggs, 3 strips of bacon and 3 cups of coffee with a lot of Heavy Whipping Cream in the 3-5 pm time window typically. I eat at home each morning.

Eating out is very doable but I found it to been more of a learning curve than I expected.
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at Chipotle with my wife tonight, while the kids are at activities. I figured out last night with the help of their nutrition calculator that it's doable. It's a little more carbs than I'm used to, but I'll eat accordingly throughout the day to be ready for it. I'm excited!
  • smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I find many restaurants will have their menus online. I plan a couple of choices just in case I don't feel like my first option when I get there. They can be pretty accommodating to low carb as long as it isn't with things they have pre-prepared that can't be adjusted. I'm usually a steak and veggie person myself, I just ask which veggies they have and how they are prepared and then add my own butter, lots of butter. I am particularly lucky in South Africa as Tim Noakes's Banting Diet has become very popular here and many restaurants have added a low carb menu to accomodate the "Banters" I even got a sugar free Creme Brulee last time I went out, made with Xylitol. Xylitol doesn't get crisp like a sugar topping but tasted lovely and was nice to be able to get a dessert without the guilt.
  • ndvoice
    Options
    smuller73 wrote: »
    I find many restaurants will have their menus online. I plan a couple of choices just in case I don't feel like my first option when I get there. They can be pretty accommodating to low carb as long as it isn't with things they have pre-prepared that can't be adjusted. I'm usually a steak and veggie person myself, I just ask which veggies they have and how they are prepared and then add my own butter, lots of butter. I am particularly lucky in South Africa as Tim Noakes's Banting Diet has become very popular here and many restaurants have added a low carb menu to accomodate the "Banters" I even got a sugar free Creme Brulee last time I went out, made with Xylitol. Xylitol doesn't get crisp like a sugar topping but tasted lovely and was nice to be able to get a dessert without the guilt.

That dessert sounds fabulous! I wish we had a menu like that here. Now if they could make a low carb bobotie, I might need to move to South Africa!

• robosphere
    Options
    This weekend, we're meeting my wife's sisters family for lunch. Originally, we were going to go to a chinese restaurant, which is hard enough (I was going to go with Moo Goo Gai Pan). Now, they decided they want to go to a Thai place, which I know nothing about. Looks like I have some more research to do!
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    At Subway I get the salad made with spinach, no regular lettuce and double chicken. I have them put double the sprinkle cheese on and whatever topping I am feeling. Sometimes add bacon or avocado. Oil type dressing. That one is easy.
  • ndvoice
    Options
    robosphere wrote: »
    This weekend, we're meeting my wife's sisters family for lunch. Originally, we were going to go to a chinese restaurant, which is hard enough (I was going to go with Moo Goo Gai Pan). Now, they decided they want to go to a Thai place, which I know nothing about. Looks like I have some more research to do!

Thai is pretty easy. There are noodle dishes & non noodle dishes. Of course you pick the non noodle. My favorite is a curry (red, green, or yellow) with meat & veggies. (You pick chicken, beef, shrimp) It's served with rice on the side - which you can tell them to skip. Most sauces are coconut based. All veggie ingredients are normally listed in the description. So if you like something, but it has potato in it, you can just ask them to skip the potato. They also ask you how hot you want it. In my experience, all Thai places I've been to have been wonderful about customizing - it's welcomed & expected. You'll have lots of choices on the menu!
  • robosphere
    Options
    That's great to hear - thank you very much!