Just changed by Diary Settings/Goals UP! Bulking or Reset??

Options
KickboxDiva
KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
I've been leaning in to upping my calories and in the meantime watching lots of videos and reading info. I'm wondering if I should have just made the jump since it has taken me 10 months! However, I wanted to check in here since I know how I felt in the beginning. Like somehow I was special and it wouldn't work for me. So here's my update and I'm hoping to have great results to share with you in the future.

Starting DIET weight 210lbs 5'7" age 42. Jan-2014 high intensity weight training + cardio and low cal. Lost 35lbs within about 5 months. Then upped my calories couple hundred after getting sick over and over, burn out, so tired, injured. End of 2014- Starting reading blogs EM2LW and ETP. Started easing into higher calories 1700-2000 May14-April15 lost 10 more to 165lbs. April-August. Stopped tracking but continued training. Skipped meals, wasn't tracking protein.

August 8th 2015- Bought a FitBit Charge HR. Weight 175lbs feeling soft. Started tracking and adding more protein back in. Eating about 2000-2100 average. Eating at a 500 calorie deficit Monday-Saturday with 6 days training. Should have resulted in a nearly 1 lb per week loss. After 1.5 weeks I dropped (water?) to 172.5 and I have stayed there the remaining 6 weeks. So here I am... I guess I need to embrace the reset. The GOOD NEWS.. I've been eating 1800-2400 (averaging 2100) for a while now and I only gained 7 lbs. Some of that was water, some muscle. I look much more defined in my upper half and all my clothes fit as good now as they did at 165 so I think I gained a good amount of muscle. My plan is now set at 2400 :# calories and I plan to eat my fitbit burn for 3 months solid and be ready to cut in January after giving my metabolism the time to heal. I'm hoping this is the key to getting leaner while being able to eat an appropriate amount of food. My last inbody & 7 point pinch put me at 22-24% body fat. The trick will be to continue to track and use this time to feed my muscle and NOT to go crazy on comfort foods of fall/winter. Anyone else doing a last quarter Bulk/reset? I need your support! Everyone around me will either still be on the diet train or going Holiday crazy.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious - do you manually log your strength training on Fitbit's site as Weights?

Because HR based calorie burn for anaerobic totally not-steady-state HR is going to be badly inflated if it is a good workout.

And are TDEE figures based on what Fitbit reports as average daily burn in the weekly emailed reports (though that may change with correction of what should be).

Great plan though for getting through winter months when activity level is lower anyway, allows keeping eating level perhaps at realistic level.
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do a cut in the next month or two, but I feel like I'm just not ready yet, not has my body fully healed yet and I've been thinking of pushing this cut back to the start of next year. So, I think we both might be on the same page!
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    I don't manually log any activity. When we train with its lots of and cardio moves mixed (think burpees.. yuk) in with powerlifting moves with very little rests in between sets. (15-30 secs typically) In a 45 min training session my charge HR Fitbit says I burn 250 calories. I actually think it is UNDERestimating. My heart is pounding and I am covered in sweat. I feel much the same way as if I had been sprinting. But if I sprint for just 20 mins I get the same 250 calorie burn. So my goal has been to not leave the gym until I get a minimum of 500 calorie burn on the fb- just to have a goal. Today was leg day and I was exhausted. I got 350 calories in almost an hour. It usually takes me about 1:14-1:30 to hit 500 calories depending on what I do. I know it's not exact but I'm consistently burning 2400-2600 on my fitbit so I'm going to stick with the 2400 level right now. If I can train my body to maintain on 2400 I'd be thrilled to have my cut calories at 1900. At this point I don't move the scale at all at 1900. I don't want to go lower to cut so it's time for something new. As we move into the winter we will be doing lots of heavy lifting. I've been strengthening my core to protect my back (which in injury prone) to prepare for twice a week powerlifting. Tomorrow my trainer is going to do the calipers again so I will have a starting point and I'm hoping to do the InBody and well. That way I can see as I am doing this bulk cycle what happens to my lean mass vs fat%.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    I have a macro coach and she is telling me to eat about 140 grams of protein and increase my fat grams by about 5 per week to MAX out at 80 grams then to use the rest for carbs to fill in upping by 20 per week until I reach my fitbit burn and hang out there for 3 months. So... I've been fairly consistent at 125/60/235 ISH so it wont take me long to get there.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok good, so that is more accurate the closer to steady-state aerobic it gets.
    And with minimal rests like that and lighter weights compared to more traditional lifting, that is indeed closer to cardio.
    If good form and holding your breath to make your own internal belt, it's still inflated HR for reasons other than oxygen delivery though - but at least minimal.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    So just for the record. I did do a body fat test today and my lean mass went up 1.5 lbs. My pinch is at 22.9% My weight was at 173.4 (different scale than home) Even though I have a plan, as I was walking back to the weight floor I kept thinking, "Maybe this is a mistake.. Maybe I should just do a 1500 calorie quick cut" DANG! It's so mental. I hope I can keep with the plan for the next 3 months. However, on a good note we did shoulders/ chest today and that always perks me up. Since I'm thinner up top all my muscles are showing on my arms, delts, traps, back and that is always a good pick me up. I can positively say I love seeing it and am anxious to see more. I could give up the dream of abs if my legs got cut like that! It's been 2 days since I raised my calories and don't you know it's like shopping with money in your pocket.. NOTHING LOOKS GOOD. I'm STUFFED and CAN NOT eat over about 2000 calories. I can see I need to get it in earlier in the day. Maybe later I'll feel like something tonight.
  • heybales
    Options
    Increased LBM is increased metabolism - even when it's water with glucose in the muscles - it must be managed and energy spent doing it.

So good work taking better choice on it.

Do you have some workout days that are more low end cardio?
    Since that is bigger % fat burn then, you could trade some calories on that day to the 24 hrs after upper body lifting to enhance that repair.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Just thought I'd give an update of the first week of my 3 month reset. It took me a few days to get my calories up. Just having the freedom made me automatically not feel the desire (at first) to for some reason. (perhaps the opposite of why diets don't work??) I've been trying to hit 2400 daily and still struggling a bit with hitting the protein numbers daily but I'm getting there. I've had the room in my plan (and CARB allowance) for some bread/desserts. I think I'll need to reel that in a bit because it made my stomach feel really squishy and a little indigestion, which I didn't like. I need to do a better job on whole grains for carbs instead of breads. Got on the scale today and was MENTALLY PREPARED for a slight gain but was thrilled to see still 172.6 So no big events yet. I feel well fed, sleeping well, strong in the gym, satisfied. My fitbit sometimes says I'm at a deficit (per fitbit last week just 1747) However, we ended up eating out this week more than usual so it's likely I wasn't really. Regardless of what happens I'm pretty happy to be able to even maintain on 2000+ calories. If this all works and I could cut at 2000 I'd be so happy. My goal for next week is to eat a little "cleaner" as I really am using this time to build muscle and I want to feel my best.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Good first week result. Enjoy the extra foods :)
  • heybales
    Options
    Great results to the change.
  • katykat79
    katykat79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will friend request you.... I am starting my reset now. My goal is body recomposition, working up to 2500ish. I am 5'8", 151, around 24% bf. I just got so tired of never getting the results despite a ton of physical effort. I was reading on the em2wl website and it said something along the lines of, you need to eat close to tdee to get the muscle gains. I was on board. I have done VLC, lower calorie, etc and I always hit a wall and I never really lean out. Although, like you, the psychological aspect of gaining weight is daunting.

So, I am with you and here for support! Good work...you are doing awesome.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    following it :-) Great read and very cool what you´re doing.

I totally get the weird mindset, I am also struggeling with that all the time :-)

I think you are on a very good way

(I kind of did a reset over the summer, not intentionally though. I was just fed up with alle the counting etc. So I just let it go. I ate more, but still mindful and only gained 2lbs in around 6 months and keep maintaining that.)
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a reset/slight bulk myself. I cut for 6 weeks and lost an average of 0.5lb/wk, pretty good for guy who hadn't lost zip before eating 700 calories a day less months ago. Now to keep from staying in a deficit too long, I'm working my way back to maintenance eventually getting to a small (10% or less) surplus to attempt to gain some lean muscle to make my next cut more effective hopefully.

I will be following this thread! Love your story and thank you for sharing!!!
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Week 2- my average calorie consumption for the last 2 weeks has been 2200 daily. I'm trying to eat them on the day I burn them for the most part. Hitting protein goals, Feeling good and strong. Lifts are good. Weight is the same. Still 172.2/4. It's TOM this week so it's unusual to be stable weight this week so that's different. I've been working on eating more during the day so I don't feel like I'm eating for the sake of hitting numbers at night. I just finished watching the cross games. Those girls are strong and inspiring! I'm changing my mindset. Strong is the new skinny and I love being able to support my body in a healthy way and eat when I'm hungry. I've been Working on positive changes mentally for a while and I'm feeling like I've had a major break through. It feels good to have control of your body. I'm amazed that I could eat 1400 and work out like crazy and have no loss, feel bad, and keep that up so long. I just wanted control but didn't know how. It's a big deal. I'm continuing to watch the em2wl YouTube, eat to perform, and also scott able has some amazing information. I've been reading his Amazon download book, the anti diet approach. With regards to being compassionate with yourself he said; why do you want to be (fit/skinny/ lose weight). It wasn't to just be less. It was because you wanted what it represented to you. Happiness, fulfillment ect. Is your current diet/ fitness plan making you happy? Do you think you can hate/ shame yourself into shape ? .. Powerful book!
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    @KickboxDiva - fab info! Great to see the mindset changes, and I've found they've been much more beneficial than any fat loss that have happened for me over the last few months. Must check out the book :)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Yes, on the mindset, and I had started out wanting a metabolism reset only. Who knew ;)

Thanks for the info on Scott Able, will check is ebook out.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Hi guys, reporting in. I just completed my 5 th week. Feeling good, feeling strong. Seeing new definition in my thighs and arms this month! Gains?? I added my calories and see I'm not doing as good as I thought upping the calories. I'm averaging 2280. I really thought I was 2400 since I hit that or over or close often but I guess my rest days aren't close enough. I'm still 172-172.6 every few days I check. Only once have I been outside that. Monday after a football weekend, wine, pumpkin bars, lots of white bread and pasta. So... Quality matters I guess since my numbers were under. Possibly too much sodium but it all balanced out in 2 days. So I'm thrilled to be maintaining over 2000. It's a victory in itself. I feel very satisfied. I'm still working on eating more day calories but I have a go to meal for a bed time snack I can customize to fill my remaining macros. I call it pb cookie dough.
    20 grams raw oats ( I like to grind it to flour first) 1/2 scoop isopure vanilla, real vanilla dash, packet of truvia, 16 grams peanut butter. Mush it together and add a super small splash of milk to make a dough Depending on macros I have left I can add more or less of each of these. Or sub pb2 for pb. But the consistancy isn't the same. I also may add a pb2 or coconut flour a couple teaspoons, or even coconut. I LOVE cookie dough before bed and it's a great way to round out those macros to your perfect number. Mmmmm add a glass of milk or chai tea... heaven!
    Gonna up those calories to a solid 2400 this week because I really want my January cut to work.. The best news of all is my ( supportive but somewhat pessimistic ) husband is totally in agreement with me on this plan. It's so nice that he "gets" it. Makes it easier to eat when he's not hungry. He's totally not a snacker
  • bnowell724
    bnowell724 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go girl! I love the "cookie dough" idea.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Checking in.. Just ended week 6. Lots of data to report this week. Here's the average calories so far.
    Weeks1-6. 2197/ 2188/2280/2280/2286/2428. Mostly spread out between 5 days with a high day and a low day. Not really planned that way but that's how it seems to work out. I've been a steady weight for 6 weeks. Decided to sharply increase calories this week to hit a solid 2400. Last week was TOM Weighed Tuesday and weighed in at 173.8. Up 1.5. My calorie increase was mostly due to increase of Halloween candy and left over party food. NOT a good idea. My sugar has been high, sodium high, fiber low. So once again quality does matter. I think I can do a little but this has probably been too much. I do need my calories that high but better macros I think. My problem is that I'm leaving for a week long business trip in San Diego tomorrow. I'm going to try to track as best as I can but won't have accurate counts. So it may be another week before I can see how this plays out.
    In other news I packed clothes for warm weather and my summer suit jackets are TIGHT. My shoulders and back/ chest looked great in the gym but dang! That made me a little sad trying on my clothes but getting lots of compliments. I know my muscles are getting defined. I benched 120 this week so that's going up. Legs we are taking easy due to my back. Squatting around 135 for high reps. It makes me anxious to cut since I feel fluffy now. High intensity heavy Lifting m/t/t/f. Cardio wed/sat rest Sunday I'm sooo looking forward to a week of complete muscle recovery, I'm very sore. We will be very busy and probably won't lift but should get in tons of walking. I'm ready for California!!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Enjoy California. Last time I was out in SD we were in several restaurants that offered 40/30/30 menus. Not sure if they still do that or not? I find it an easy place to get decent choices.