25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Years

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I'm actually not certain that percentage is correct, but it's true for me.

So what are everyone's plans to not be part of that 25%

Replies

• SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No specific plan, just gonna take each celebration / outing as it comes and do my best. No point in depriving myself because that only sets me onto the path of destruction..... i.e. Eating everything in sight!
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what I'm doing. Went to a party, and ate before I got there - skipped the cake. It's never been this easy for me to resist!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Going into this holiday season fully armed with "Keto" On my side. I feel this will be the year that I don't gain (first time ever!)!! Btw: I've been buying a little candy every time I shop (we have sooooo many trick or treaters bits too much to purchase all at once), so, it's been in the house since early September. This is the first time that I haven't eaten it all and had to buy more!!! The strength to be able to do that feels so awesome, and only reinforces the strength! Hang in there. Just because the candy is there (other carbage too) doesn't mean we have to eat it. We can all do this! :smiley:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I haven't had this problem in the past. I've always cooked healthy fairly low carb holiday dinners when eating at my house, and this year I will do the same. I don't snack a lot. I don't keep too many treats around, and when I do, I eat them in small amounts. If I go to a party, I eat only what I want, I spend a lot of time socializing, and if all else fails, I knit. Honestly, I used to have a problem with overeating, drastically undereating to make up for it, I went to therapy, and now I don't think about my strategies to avoid overeating. I just do them.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It was true for me last year. I fell off my wagon right on Halloween day. Hopefully this year it's different. My perspective is different.
  • fireball1970
    fireball1970 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I find myself getting ready to go overboard on carbs I'm logging on here for support!! Sometimes it just takes a minute to take your mind off food to break the cycle
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This will be my first holiday season doing lchf. Today is only day 2 for me. I think I'm just going to do as much as I can on my own like eating before going out. When it comes to Christmas if I have to cook my own food and bring it to dinner with me I will. I'm sure my family will understand.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Happy Halloween on me, I guess. The community pages are acting wonky. :lol:
  • baconslave
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh, MFP. You has problems.
  • baconslave
    Options

What I did last year was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not playing this year.

Might break down and do a couple low carb yummy desserts, but I will joyfully celebrate the season and people I love. It's about them, not stuffing my face with carbs.

We can do this - if we change our mindset.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am looking at all the candy as something that will hurt me. Like I do with all foods with gluten. I won't touch the stuff.

I even bought a type of candy to give out that I don't even like, just in case of leftovers. LOL
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Easy for me - I do the shopping & the cooking & the hosting. The menu will be low carb! Lol
    But for any other occasions outside my home, I'll gravitate to protein & veggies. I'll not arrive hungry. I'll keep Keto snacks in my purse.

The holidays can kiss my butt, I got this!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to my Thanksgiving dinner! I even bought pickles today for it.
    I'm having turkey thigh & buttered cauliflower. I'll hit the olives, pickles, dip & celery sticks.
    For desert LC lemon cheesecake. :)
    Now for exercise... I'll help out setting the table, wouldn't want to build too big an appetite.

>:) OR o:)
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My youngest son and his gf are hosting a covered dish Thanksgiving this year again. Unlike last year, they are vegetarians, I am eating low carb, and my other son is as he was last year, diabetic, and there will be guests.
    We are all putting thought into what we will bring so that everyone can partake. A turkey will not be invited.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I plan to indulge but only in the things that fit my plan. I don't care if blow my calories. But I do care if I blow my carbs!
    For Halloween, I made some fresh pumpkin seeds with cinnamon and Splenda. And also a batch with salt and garlic. I've been snacking on those as I hand out candy.
    For the other holidays, I will go overboard on the buttered meat if I feel like being indulgent. I will bring a Keto dessert too. And I most certainly will blow through calories and I won't feel bad about it in the least! But I will absolutely not eat any potatoes, fruit or sugary desserts. I won't need to. I will be too full on the veg, meat and my Keto treats! ;)
  • baconslave
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I plan to indulge but only in the things that fit my plan. I don't care if blow my calories. But I do care if I blow my carbs!
    For Halloween, I made some fresh pumpkin seeds with cinnamon and Splenda. And also a batch with salt and garlic. I've been snacking on those as I hand out candy.
    For the other holidays, I will go overboard on the buttered meat if I feel like being indulgent. I will bring a Keto dessert too. And I most certainly will blow through calories and I won't feel bad about it in the least! But I will absolutely not eat any potatoes, fruit or sugary desserts. I won't need to. I will be too full on the veg, meat and my Keto treats! ;)

Good for you!
    My calories are ridiculous today, too. But I made a low-carb dessert for me and stayed away from the kids' junk. Yipee! Now for the adult beverage. :wink:
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep logging keep logging and reading all your posts which motivates me.
    This is the 1st year EVER where I go into the new year lighter than the year before.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

What I did last year was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's.

That is awesome. What a great plan. Thank you for the ideas.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I guess my issue isn't not being able to plan foods that work. My plan is amazingly accommodating, we have gf, vegetarian, peanut free, and can always have multiple options for everyone. Low carb is no big deal. My issue is the amount of stress that comes between now and new years, yes I have options, I even hosted today for my mom's birthday and I choose carby stuff out of ease and comfort. Stress is always my downfall :( I've been strong since March, kept on track hit my goal in no time, six months of lc, and had my struggles but for the most part felt completely in control. How do I get rid of the stress.