Snack ideas?

Options
ttw1211
ttw1211 Posts: 91 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Ok...so everyday at work around 10am I get so hungry and my lunch isn't until 11:30. I was eating pickles but they don't fill me up at all..
Plus I'm trying to really get my total carbs to 25-30. Anyone have any ideas for a quick, no/low carb, filling snack?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts and coconut flakes are the perfect low-carb snacks, IMO. But nuts in general, cheese, dried meats, etc. are all good.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I just started LC but my go-to snack right now is pork rinds. The kind with the fat on them. I realliy love those.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I snack on those little cheese cubes that come in a plastic bag, sold in the dairy-cheese section of the store. Around 7 of them is a serving, it isn't a lot but enough for a snack.
  • Mongo5918
    Mongo5918 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni slices microwaved till crisp make a nice fat, low carb, crispy and salty snack (replaces things like potato chips). That and some cheese makes a nice quick lunch in a pinch.
    Almonds and pecans are my go to nuts. A one ounce serving (about 24 nuts) of almonds is surprisingly filling and will give you plenty of chewing satisfaction if you take it slow and savor the taste. The problem with most snacks are people wolf them down fast and don't really taste them.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ttw1211 wrote: »
    Ok...so everyday at work around 10am I get so hungry and my lunch isn't until 11:30. I was eating pickles but they don't fill me up at all..
    Plus I'm trying to really get my total carbs to 25-30. Anyone have any ideas for a quick, no/low carb, filling snack?

I don't know what lean for her vanilla ice cream is but it's giving you half a teaspoon of sugar, very few calories and only 3.5g fat. I think the reason you're hungry before lunch is because you are having a low carb/LOW FAT breakfast. That will not provide you with lasting nourishment.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My instinct was - add a good blob more of fat to your breakfast and you won't need a snack...but the other options are good too.
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nuts! I keep almonds, walnuts & pumpkin seeds around for the in between meal snacks. Or a couple slices of organic deli turkey.
  • ttw1211
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    My instinct was - add a good blob more of fat to your breakfast and you won't need a snack...but the other options are good too.

Yesterday I did put a serving of olive oil in my protein shake lol. It did give me a nice full feeling but then I was still kinda hungry later on. Maybe it's bc I'm PMSing too.
  • ttw1211
    Options

I don't know what lean for her vanilla ice cream is but it's giving you half a teaspoon of sugar, very few calories and only 3.5g fat. I think the reason you're hungry before lunch is because you are having a low carb/LOW FAT breakfast. That will not provide you with lasting nourishment.

It's a protein shake/meal replacement. But starting today I'm cutting that out and using a different protein mix. Yesterday I did put a serving of olive oil in it and it help but not very much. Next week I'm gonna do almond milk with the protein shake. I don't have time for a nice egg/pork roll breakfast..unfortunately :(
  • ttw1211
    Options
    I just started LC but my go-to snack right now is pork rinds. The kind with the fat on them. I realliy love those.

Omg! I love them. I just got the bbq flavor!! I was thinking of trying them. They are so light, I wasn't sure they would really fill me up. But it's worth a try bc they are my fav right now
  • ttw1211
    Options
    ndvoice wrote: »
    Nuts! I keep almonds, walnuts & pumpkin seeds around for the in between meal snacks. Or a couple slices of organic deli turkey.

I eat nuts at lunch. I was thinking about turkey though! I didn't even think of organic turkey. That's a good one! Thank you
  • ttw1211
    Options
    Mongo5918 wrote: »
    Pepperoni slices microwaved till crisp make a nice fat, low carb, crispy and salty snack (replaces things like potato chips). That and some cheese makes a nice quick lunch in a pinch.
    Almonds and pecans are my go to nuts. A one ounce serving (about 24 nuts) of almonds is surprisingly filling and will give you plenty of chewing satisfaction if you take it slow and savor the taste. The problem with most snacks are people wolf them down fast and don't really taste them.

I eat nuts at lunch. But I need to try them pepperoni crisps! But I eat pepperoni and cheese when I'm done work as a snack lol and I LOVE it.
    LCHF is the best lifestyle change everrrrrr
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

It's a protein shake/meal replacement. But starting today I'm cutting that out and using a different protein mix. Yesterday I did put a serving of olive oil in it and it help but not very much. Next week I'm gonna do almond milk with the protein shake. I don't have time for a nice egg/pork roll breakfast..unfortunately :(

You might try the breakfast quiche from cavemanketo. It's a make for the week, heat and eat dish that makes a good breakfast for busy mornings.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I like pepperoni sticks in a pinch. I don't know if you have Pillars brand where you are, but they are very good. As others have mentioned, try beefing up your breakfast. I eat about 450 calories at breakfast - all protein and fat. I find that I am never hungry during the day until about 3pm and even then I'm not starving. (I eat breakfast at 6:30 or 7am). I've never been a fan of shakes as I just can't see how a liquid diet can be filling (just my own misconception). I prefer to cook my meal (eggs, bacon, heavy whipping cream, butter) and get that substantial full feeling that (for me) lasts the day.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I, personally, don't find olive oil to be that satisfying. Try butter, or coconut oil instead. If you can make the transition to having some boiled eggs and either bacon, or sausage, ready to eat for a quick breakfast, you will be much more satisfied (maybe even through lunch). Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

The olive oil only gave you 2g saturated fat.
    Try MCT oil or butter for longer lasting satiety.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Here's a comparison between my liquid breakfast and yours.
    tbw8dhw74sof.png
    For basically the same calories I'm getting 7-8 hours before I'm hungry for my next meal, without snacks. Breakfast is always at 6:30am. Lunch is no earlier than 1:30 and often after I pick kids up from school around 2:30.

The olive oil has 14g fat but only 2g saturated fat. The rest is monounsaturated fat.
    ilfst8svmi65.png
  • ericaowenby
    ericaowenby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Upping your fat intake, especially in the morning will keep you full. I just started putting unsalted butter in my coffee & today added the coconut oil & it has made all the difference!! Seems like I have to force myself to eat. Also, boiled eggs & bacon keeps me full for HOURS. I'm no expert, as I've just recently started this diet myself but just those 2 things have helped me tremendously. I was feeling hungry quickly like you until I started upping my fat, it really makes the lchf diet so much easier..good luck!!
  • ttw1211
    Options
    tbw8dhw74sof.png
    For basically the same calories I'm getting 7-8 hours before I'm hungry for my next meal, without snacks. Breakfast is always at 6:30am. Lunch is no earlier than 1:30 and often after I pick kids up from school around 2:30.

The olive oil has 14g fat but only 2g saturated fat. The rest is monounsaturated fat.
    ilfst8svmi65.png

Ohhhh! I see the difference!
    Okay I will add coconut oil next time! And I also found a low carb protein shake recipe that has a bunch of fat. Thank you!!!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    tbw8dhw74sof.png

ilfst8svmi65.png

Ohhhh! I see the difference!
    Okay I will add coconut oil next time! And I also found a low carb protein shake recipe that has a bunch of fat. Thank you!!!!

You got it now! ;)
    Let us know the difference it makes for you. I really think that most of the time, the need to have between meal snacks is directly connected to inadequate fat intake or quality. Of course there can be exceptions. Just I'd first check these factors whenever hunger is an issue.