25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Years

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I plan to indulge but only in the things that fit my plan. I don't care if blow my calories. But I do care if I blow my carbs!
    For Halloween, I made some fresh pumpkin seeds with cinnamon and Splenda. And also a batch with salt and garlic. I've been snacking on those as I hand out candy.
    For the other holidays, I will go overboard on the buttered meat if I feel like being indulgent. I will bring a Keto dessert too. And I most certainly will blow through calories and I won't feel bad about it in the least! But I will absolutely not eat any potatoes, fruit or sugary desserts. I won't need to. I will be too full on the veg, meat and my Keto treats! ;)

Good for you!
    My calories are ridiculous today, too. But I made a low-carb dessert for me and stayed away from the kids' junk. Yipee! Now for the adult beverage. :wink:

I left room for several adult beverages today and I'm in need of a refill right now... ;)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    There's a saying that I've seen somewhere on someone's MFP profile and which is used and tossed around fairly often, so here goes.....ahem (clears throat): Keep calm and keto on!" lol
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've already gained weight between Labor Day and Halloween. So I have started tracking again, that should help me to get off the 10 lbs. have gained since mid-August by hopefully Thanksgiving, and a few more hopefully by New Year's. I always eat low carb but snacking at night is my main problem. Tracking keeps me accountable.
  • LahLahLeslie
    LahLahLeslie Posts: 8 Member
    Options

What I did last year was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's.

Awesome! That is a great idea and I will be doing this!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    I guess my issue isn't not being able to plan foods that work. My plan is amazingly accommodating, we have gf, vegetarian, peanut free, and can always have multiple options for everyone. Low carb is no big deal. My issue is the amount of stress that comes between now and new years, yes I have options, I even hosted today for my mom's birthday and I choose carby stuff out of ease and comfort. Stress is always my downfall :( I've been strong since March, kept on track hit my goal in no time, six months of lc, and had my struggles but for the most part felt completely in control. How do I get rid of the stress.

Try to figure out a way to circumvent the stress-causer entirely or to mitigate the amount?
    This might take some figuring. But it's easier to combat less-stressful stress, if you get what I mean.
    Or find ways to diffuse your reaction to it. I drink stress-relieving tea in the evening instead of tearing into the carby junk. My kids stall and piss me off at bedtime just about every night. The best way I've found to keep from emotional eating is to distract myself. Chew gum, stay out of the kitchen, do something I enjoy (read or crochet or watch something), or get something productive done or even take a walk.
    I also make sure I've planned ahead. I have on-plan food on hand and make sure I never get too hungry (letting that happen is just asking for a binge.)

Just some thoughts. Hopefully they either help or spark ideas that actually will help your situation.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I guess my issue isn't not being able to plan foods that work. My plan is amazingly accommodating, we have gf, vegetarian, peanut free, and can always have multiple options for everyone. Low carb is no big deal. My issue is the amount of stress that comes between now and new years, yes I have options, I even hosted today for my mom's birthday and I choose carby stuff out of ease and comfort. Stress is always my downfall :( I've been strong since March, kept on track hit my goal in no time, six months of lc, and had my struggles but for the most part felt completely in control. How do I get rid of the stress.

Try to figure out a way to circumvent the stress-causer entirely or to mitigate the amount?
    This might take some figuring. But it's easier to combat less-stressful stress, if you get what I mean.
    Or find ways to diffuse your reaction to it. I drink stress-relieving tea in the evening instead of tearing into the carby junk. My kids stall and piss me off at bedtime just about every night. The best way I've found to keep from emotional eating is to distract myself. Chew gum, stay out of the kitchen, do something I enjoy (read or crochet or watch something), or get something productive done or even take a walk.
    I also make sure I've planned ahead. I have on-plan food on hand and make sure I never get too hungry (letting that happen is just asking for a binge.)

Just some thoughts. Hopefully they either help or spark ideas that actually will help your situation.

That's always the challenge. Might need to keep up better on my magnesium intake, that seemed to help before. Holidays and year end deadlines are my main sources if stress. I can't do a whole lot to avoid those, I tend to internalize stress till I'm ready to explode, during that time stuffing my face is a distraction. I need a better distraction.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I will let myself go over calories on Thanksgiving, because I love turkey. I will bake a low carb pumpkin cheesecake for dessert, and stay around ~50 grams of carbs. After that, I'm bucking down, because I want to look absolutely amazing for New Year's in a tight dress.
  • dhill_84
    dhill_84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Got though Halloween wedding buffet with candy bar not eating anything bad except maybe the sauce on the meat. I had one mini kat kat today, stupid lunch room lol. If I can do that good while drinking(low carb as well) I can get though this season!!!