Is it bad to float in and out of ketosis?

Options
2»

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I felt horrible. Dozziness, head pressure, brain fog, headache. Ended up binging on popcorn and had some rice cakes for a snack earlier in the day. Carbs were at 99 TOTAL for the day. Woke up this morning and i feel amazing. Energy, no dozziness. I've felt dizzy and exhausted consistently for the last 5 days straight. First day in a while I've had drive and ambition to do something. Also whooskhed 3 lbs overnight. So I'm going to stick with 100 total carbs for right now and see what happens. Do I still need to really watch electrolytes at that level?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You will lose some sodium at any carb intake below around 150g/d. But the more you restrict carbs, the more sodium you lose.

There's a lag of about 4 days between intake and when your kidneys dump excess sodium, but the carb/ketone level may alter that independently. What that means is that it may be hard to predict your sodium needs, so just eat more if you feel lousy.

A "whoosh" may be a sign that you've lost water, which is a sign that you've lost sodium.

Personally, I felt great at 100g/d carbs, and I only needed extra sodium when exercising.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Not to hijack this post, but this totally answered the question I was going to post today. I was looking for alternate ways to get enough sodium. I struggle with that and some days just cannot stomach yet another cup of soup broth. In like Knitormiss's suggestion of just taking a pinch like medicine and also to add it to my water maybe.
    Thanks!

And @AngInCanada glad you got some respite from the lousiness and are feeling better! It's all about what works for you, as we all know. And I'm sure we all know that lousy, low energy feeling too! And none too soon I'm sure. With the farm, I'm sure there's extra work to be done this time of year! Glad you're feeling better!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I have only ever been in ketosis as per urine sticks ONCE even at 20g a day

Urine testing can be wildly inaccurate. You can measure the actual ketone level in your blood, if it's important for you to know. Here's a link about glucose meters that take ketone test strips.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

P.S. Congratulations! Your before and after pics are looking great.

... but [if] you're eating less than 50 g of carbs a day, you are almost certainly in ketosis.

There's no "almost" about it. If you're not making ketones at that level, you're dead.

There's gluconeogenesis too. A person could, conceivably, be making glucose from protein. That just seemed like an unlikely scenario.

@AngInCanada - I'm glad that you're feeling better!
  • wabmester
    Options

Urine testing can be wildly inaccurate. You can measure the actual ketone level in your blood, if it's important for you to know. Here's a link about glucose meters that take ketone test strips.

... but [if] you're eating less than 50 g of carbs a day, you are almost certainly in ketosis.

There's no "almost" about it. If you're not making ketones at that level, you're dead.

There's gluconeogenesis too. A person could, conceivably, be making glucose from protein. That just seemed like an unlikely scenario.

Very unlikely. Ketosis evolved specifically to spare protein. It's what allowed us to survive periods of famine.

As long as there's body fat available, GNG just makes up the difference between carb intake and the 40g/d of glucose our brain needs. So at 50g/d carb intake, the need for GNG is close to 0.
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options

Very unlikely. Ketosis evolved specifically to spare protein. It's what allowed us to survive periods of famine.

As long as there's body fat available, GNG just makes up the difference between carb intake and the 40g/d of glucose our brain needs. So at 50g/d carb intake, the need for GNG is close to 0.

It wouldn't be unlikely on a high protein diet. People use protein readily as fuel. I didn't think it was likely that Ang was on a high protein diet.
  • wabmester
    Options

It wouldn't be unlikely on a high protein diet. People use protein readily as fuel. I didn't think it was likely that Ang was on a high protein diet.

I knew you were going to bring that up. :)

OK, you're right. If she were eating 50g/d carbs and 200g/d of protein, she might not have to make any ketones.

There is a limit to how much glucose we can make via GNG, but with fat and 50g/d carb intake, you might be able to make enough glucose to avoid ketosis.
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If she were eating 50g/d carbs and 200g/d of protein, she might not have to make any ketones.

And it seems way more likely that a dude would be doing that, at least some of the dudes I know, not just any dude.