Regrets or issues

Options
I am looking at having the gastric sleeve done in a few weeks. At my highest weight I was 403lbs. In the last month I have lost 17 lbs. I just want to know what was the most difficult part of having bariatric surgery, any regrets or major issues? Also, are you able to eat normal food again and meet your protein goals set forth by your surgerical team without any issues? Thanks for any advice and help!

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd known about keto diets and Intermittent Fasting before surgery. By the time I discovered them, I had to have surgery. My heart was giving out. If I'd known about them before that, I might have avoided surgery altogether.

10.5 months from RNY and I still can't eat quite a few veggies, no grains or pasta, and really, I don't miss most of that. After a while, I just lost my taste for it. Occasionally, my dietitian or doctor requires me to carb cycle or try a food to see if I can tolerate it, but I've discovered I'm quite happy on my keto diet and I don't worry about returning to any other way of eating.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve 4.5 years ago. Once healed, I was back to eating "normal" food and taking my normal meds. The only real difference post op, again once healed, is the lifetime restriction. I still can't get in more than a cup to 1.5 cups of food depending on what it is. Protein dense food fills me quickly. So really, the only way to overeat and regain is to eat nothing but junk and eat every 2 hours (graze) all day long. As long as I continue to eat high protein, low carb and healthy, I'm good. I've maintained my weight for a year now. Yes I want to lose another 30, get down into Onderland, but really, 230 compared to 386? I'm healthy, listed as overweight rather than obese, off the BP meds and mobile again. Best thing I've ever done, even if I never lose another ounce.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve surgery 3 months ago. I have very little limitations at this point. In very happy. BUT: I have a unique bariatric clinic, with a unique philosophy. I don't think I could be successful on the program most of the others here describe. My clinic's philosophy is plant based and vegetarian or pescatarian diets are encouraged. Many are vegan. My doctor is vegan. Most of the staff is either vegetable or pescatarian. This is my preference, too. I couldn't handle a low carb/meat heavy diet.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Like Marta, I'm vegetarian/pescetarian and 3 months out. I use protein shakes and nonfat Greek yogurt to get most of my protein. I can only eat a tiny bit of fish. I can eat salad without issue, but it's a small serving. Totally happy I did it. Only thing that's difficult for me are social meals and cocktail hours (I'm an attorney and have a lot of smooze events). Eating a tiny amount when everyone else is eating several courses takes some dancing around, and drinking plain water with lime at cocktails isn't very fun, but it's a trade off that's worth it. I didn't have any additional health issues, but dieting would only work for awhile for me, then I would gain it all back plus more.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 8 months out and have no regrets. I eat a protein heavy diet, but find that I have little hunger and have no issues hitting my protein goals. Obviously there is a volume restriction, but there are very few foods that I want to eat that I've been unable to. My quality of life is much improved, and I have no regrets yet. I leave for 8 days at WDW with my kids in 3 days, and am excited- I'm not stressing over the walking, fitting in an airline seat, or fitting on a ride. The surgery has given me that freedom back, and for me, is totally worth it.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I regret not having this surgery when I was a lot younger but other then that no regrets. I am 9 months out from vsg and down 66lbs from surgery and 80lbs from my highest recorded.

I am able to eat pretty normal now except for my potion sizes are still small when I eat correctly (protein first, etc). I didn't get dumping syndrome but can make myself feel pretty terrible if I eat too much high sugar stuff by itself, but I think that comes from no longer being used to it. I think the hardest part for me was the first month or two, getting used to my new way of eating, going through the stages of shakes, mashed food, etc.
  • TonyaMcKenzie
    TonyaMcKenzie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and advice!! I'm a little scared but want to move forward with a new life and better healthier me!!
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just came back from Disneyland. I was 384 at my highest weight, and now I fit comfortably on all the rides, I was able to walk all day, and even perched on my boyfriend's knee for a while to rest my feet without killing his leg.

I struggle a lot with cravings (I was an emotional eater), and I've gone through a hellish year with a lot of personal upheavals and challenges.

I cannot recommend the surgery enough. It saved my quality of life. (I had the sleeve at the beginning of March, this year. I've lost 110 lbs.)
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started out at 366 on 3/2/15 I was wearing a tight 26. I had the sleeve on 7/13/15, at 313. I had a tough go of it in the beginning and wondered what I had done with myself. The first month... Well, sucked. But that was 3 months ago and much has changed! I weighed in at 245 this morning. And I'm wearing a 16/18 or XL. I haven't been non-plus since middle school. It's amazing. Feel free to friend/message me i can answer any questions.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm a year post op from RNYGB. Absolutely no regrets. HW 350, CW 185. I eat mostly produce and protein, not too much, and I'm satisfied. No restrictions, no long term life changing issues other than that I feel great, I look great, I'm off all meds, and I'm excercising like I was a high school football player again (I'm 55...). Major issues? At nine months post op I had a bowel obstruction that resulted in a trip to the ER and laparoscopic surgery to correct...but I had been counseled that a very small percent of patients have a complication like that, my surgeon was able to correct it, and I recovered VERY quickly from that second surgery (essentially just the incisions, nothing major done inside). I'll still gladly accept that risk. Again, absolutely no regrets!
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I hit my three month mark out from VSG, and as someone else stated, it has saved my quality of life. The things that I am able to do in just three months to me is amazing, like what the heck was I waiting for delaying this?? Oh yeh, insurance. hahaha I have been so much more active, and my energy level is thru the roof. My husband asks me to slow down when walking. He is over six foot, with them tall lanky legs, and me at 5'6" with short legs, I laugh and keep boogying down the road.

My regret? Waiting. My other regret? That my mom does not agree with it.
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve surgery 3 months ago. I have very little limitations at this point. In very happy. BUT: I have a unique bariatric clinic, with a unique philosophy. I don't think I could be successful on the program most of the others here describe. My clinic's philosophy is plant based and vegetarian or pescatarian diets are encouraged. Many are vegan. My doctor is vegan. Most of the staff is either vegetable or pescatarian. This is my preference, too. I couldn't handle a low carb/meat heavy diet.

Could you tell us more about your plan? I'm thinking of moving towards a vegan diet...
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    RNYGB on 11/11/15..so a little over a week ago. The first 5 days I was in panic mode and had huge regrets of doing the WLS. And today I feel totally different. I am soooo glad I did it and the depression I felt passes very fast. And as for being Vegan, I have been a Vegan for 3 years but up until this January I was an unhealthy Vegan ( yes they exist lol ) but now I make all my foods myself and eat mostly fresh veggies and fruits. I am 100% believer that being Vegan is the most positive step I have ever made in my life. Even when I was 398 pounds I felt good, and before my WLS I lost a little over 100 pounds just by eating 100% vegan ( healthy vegan lol )
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had VSG a bit over 2 years ago and have lost over 200 lbs. I have absolutely zero regrets. I know a lot of people struggle post surgery, but I have to say, my recovery was very smooth. I attribute that partly to the fact that I started exercising and losing 9 months before I ever had the surgery. I had no complications, no foods have really bothered me except when I eat too much sugar or something with too many carbs, it just doesn't agree with me. That's ok, because I should be careful with those things anyway. I can eat most normal foods, just smaller portions like others have said. I am still able to eat red meat and really spicy foods, so I am super happy about that. I feel like my life has done a complete 180. I am healthy and I have energy and I am able to do pretty much anything I want to do. I am SO glad I gave myself this gift that has given me a happy, healthy life.