Bad Idea: whey protein powder in coffee

Options
RyanVSG
RyanVSG Posts: 19 Member
Had the bright idea this morning to add my French vanilla whey protein powder into my decaf coffee, thinking it would be like a high-protein vanilla latte. Yum, right? Couldn't have been more wrong. The protein clumped up on itself and the first mouthful was like vanilla mocha sand. G-R-O-S-S! Thought I'd share this amusing antidote in protein experimentation. :smiley:

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Heat is the enemy of protein....
    You can do hot soup, but have to be carful about adding hot water to first warm water.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    To add protein to coffee, I mix the powder with a small amount of water or milk, then stir constantly while the coffee is added slowly (I have my Keurig make it right into the glass while I'm stirring). It increases the temp slowly enough to keep the scrambled egg texture from happening.

Don't give up! Proteined coffee is worth the effort!
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I use a drink mixer in my coffee to mix my protein and it works wonderfully
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My morning shakes are usually like this... Blend 8oz cold coffee with protein powder. Add in an Aeropressing of coffee . then add that into a pot and heat it up to 120-130. Put in cup and roll with it.
  • RyanVSG
    Options
    Huh. So right idea, wrong method. Thanks all!
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use the premier protein premade shakes with cold coffee all the time. Also loving the sugar free torani syrups (white chocolate and peppermint are my faves for now). It tastes like a "treat" but still getting my stuff in.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    yeah it works better if you add the powder to liquids under 110 deg. I add milk to my coffee, then the powder, then I'll carefully microwave the final mixture to almost hot. Or you can be mix the protein and milk and use that as a creamer.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I use Genepro protein - 30g in 1 TBSP!! Mix is with a little milk or creamer then add hot coffee. No clumping and it's unflavored.
  • RyanVSG
    Options
    @RENAEJAE - I've researched that stuff. Thinking about getting some
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Creepykbear, can you share your recipes?? Sounds interesting!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I add it to my coffee, but take a 1/2 scoop, ad a little water to make a slurry and add that to the coffee. Works well.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also use the musclegen protein powder and it is amazing stuff.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my coffee every morning. I brew 12 oz in my keurig. I use a half cup of fair life and mix my scoop of unflavored powder in it, then add it to my coffee. Then I'll add a shot of torani sf syrup. I'm liking the salted caramel and s'mores right now. Or if I want plain, just a packet of Splenda. About 120 calories and 36 grams of protein. AND it's my guilty pleasure/favorite meal of the day!
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the Musclegen Gene Pro protein powder. Works great in hot or cold. And the scoop size is really small, just a tablespoon. I put it in my coffee every morning.
  • newmeoroldme
    newmeoroldme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have no problems ever and here's my coffee.. Quest powder, Mct oil, heavy cream, trivia and hot coffee. I pour the cream and oil in first then sweetener then coffee in my nutribullet and walla best coffee ever.. ( chocolate powder becomes a creamy mocha too ) and sometimes I use both oil and butter just depends but usually now just the oil:)
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    A quick note about Genepro. Please read their labels carefully. When it says 30 grams of protein per serving there is an asterisk next to it. That asterisk means that they have 10 grams of protein, but they claim that their protein is absorbed in the body 3x better than others. They are claiming their 10 grams of protein is like 30 grams of another.