Are there any Aussie Low Carbers here?

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
Hya,

I've been reading everything i can here for the last couple of weeks, however i would like to have a look at Australian members diaries because a lot of the American entries aren't available here, or i have no idea what they are lol.
Particularly Heavy whipping cream... I have no idea what that is or if it is even available here. We just have the normal everyday cream.

Many thanks xx

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm in Australia but I don't fill out my diary.

I use double cream. It's the highest fat and basically the same as American heavy cream. You can get it at both Woollies and Coles.

Otherwise stick to naturally low carb foods and you'll be fine.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thanks @Sajyana . Yep I've seen double cream :)
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi @Sajyana I'm on Gold Coast. I buy ordinary cream so I can have more flexibility & choices to whip it, or use for scrambled eggs, in protein shakes for extra fat etc.
    I've just friended you for my diary. I use a new product to Aust called New Image as a support for VLC so that makes sence to you but rest of diary is pretty normal.

I have shed 25kg in 19 weeks with a 5 week plateau in that time. Am researching that apparently I'm not eating enough calories as a female which can slow down weight loss(???).

I do want to stay in ketosis under 20g but travel for work a lot & very social (around food) so my diary shows a huge attempt but it not at all text book. But I do log absolutely everything so I can show it to my weight loss coach.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Hi @SuesNewImage Tonight is my last hurrah, we've been invited out to a Chinese restaurant aka carb fest! Dinners out are very far and few between thank goodness.
    I've filled out tomorrows diary and my carbs are around 70ish grams.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What are your carb goals? Are you aiming for ketosis?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Sue, I'm starting off under 100g and will try and work my way down from there. The stumbling block will be my husband, he loves his mash potatoes, crackers and chips etc etc I dread having to make 2 seperate meals..
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia. I buy Paul's Dollop Cream. I fill out my diary religiously if you want to friend me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sue, I'm starting off under 100g and will try and work my way down from there. The stumbling block will be my husband, he loves his mash potatoes, crackers and chips etc etc I dread having to make 2 seperate meals..

Don't make two meals. Make one meat for you both, one veggie for you both, then if you so choose, add a carby side for your husband that you'll avoid. Add extra fats to your portion of the meal, and allow him to choose what to add to his... Most of us do some variation of this - or we batch cook a few things, so it isn't a giant pain to reheat one thing while cooking another, etc.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thank you @KnitOrMiss I'm sure I'll figure out a routine, and I've learned so much from you guys already :smiley:

@EbonyDahlia I'll send you a friend request.
  • lexidear
    lexidear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm from australia too! :) I did LCHF for a month then went on an overseas holiday and stopped - planning to get back into it on monday (will probably ease myself into it but my eventual goal is under 20net carbs a day). feel free to add me! :)
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I'm not from Australia, but read your thread. You can learn to do the low carb with your husband. Just don't eat everything he does. This is how I have to handle family dinners. I live alone, but we get togther for family dinners. Its tough at first but when you start seeing results it will encourage you more. I would just slowly decears your amounts. Just a thought. B
  • Vilzi
    Vilzi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm from Brisbane. Have been fairly slack about filling in my diary for the last few weeks though. Moving house and a new job has thrown my routine out in a huge way. Getting back logging this week now that things will be more settled. I just use thickened cream - versatile, good to put in eggs, coffee, etc.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What happened to grannymayoz?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I sure miss May, I hope she's alright.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Another Aussie here, but in Europe so useless to you right now. Agree with double cream. I can tell you Arugula is rocket. If there are other specifics I have had to do translations before so will try to pitch in. Good luck. Personally I am so much healthier. My husband loves it because now I am OK with his fave chicken satay (if no sugar in the sauce)
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Herman Brot low carb bread? It's awesome - only 2.3 g carbs per slice. You can check outlets and nutritional values online.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You guys might want to also check out Christine Cronau's stuff. She's a LCHF advocate there in Australia, so her stuff is probably pertinent to you guys even moreso than it is to us non-Aussies, and you probably have more chance of getting to meet her.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Have you heard of Herman Brot low carb bread? It's awesome - only 2.3 g carbs per slice. You can check outlets and nutritional values online.

Wow, no i haven't heard of it. The only one I've seen is helga's lower carb bread which is 17ishg per 2 slices.

@Dragonwolf I'm off to google Christine now.

Thanks guys
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Also googling and with you re Helga's!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Herman Brot is made somewhere in the Gold Coast area but gets distributed around to other parts, mostly health food shops etc.

It's not quite as robust as a proper German style rye bread but it has it's own delicious taste and texture.