Success story: I reverted my diabetes

Options
fuelednfit
fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
So here for motivation. I always believed diabetes was a disease that kept on progressing and it could only get worse.
Don't be fooled it's not completely cured it can come back if I go back to bad habits but this morning I had my appointment with my endocrinologist. 2 years after my initial diagnosis 50lbs lighter with daily low impact activitie and controlled diet my a1c was 5. I have been told to stop my medication and keep doing what I have been doing. My diabetes is 100% controlled by diet and exercise no more medication. So for all the others non believers...you can really do this. It is possible with a life long commitment to an healthy life style.

Replies

• mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment! All the hard work paid off. I see my Dr. in January and hope to have a similar experience. My A1C was 10.3 in February... at the end of May it was 5.7... and I'm sure lower than that now. Gonna ask my Dr if I can go off metformin xr and losartan if my A1C and blood pressure continues to look good. Congrats again!
  • fuelednfit
    Options
    Thanks. You made incredible progress in a short time keep it up and you too will be off medication...sooner then you think Update us please.more inspiration.
  • fuelednfit
    Options
    For most of the time (23months)I was 20 protein 50 fat and 30 carb. I went down to 5.2 a1c like that.The last month I went 20 75 5.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I've done that as well, I think. I'm going to ask my doctor, if I ever see him again, and still watch my sugars as I continue to battle an open wound. Yay, us!
  • fuelednfit
    Options
    I don't know about pritiki that was just kind of my bat Ural way of eating. Atkins is amazing. The feeling if satiety is so awesome. I feel like I just discovered my true self. I eat the food I love and they are tasty thanks to the fat.
  • fuelednfit
    Options
    Ural=natural
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • fuelednfit
    Options
    Thanks winnie141
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow congratulations!!!! So happy for you!! That is really inspirational!!!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Congratulations of being removed from your medications. That is my goal as well. I was very disappointed when my doctor started me on daily insulin but she told me that it wasn't a life sentence, if I lost weight I could reduce or eliminate the medications. I have already been able to reduce the amount of blood pressure medications I am taking and my goal is to get off the insulin as well. Now I know it can be done!
  • fuelednfit
    Options
    sweets1954, that is exactly why I posted this. I didn't believe it could be done. I didn't believe the Dr and nurses.
    Just keep working toward that goal, it can truly happen, it happened to a lot of diabetics and it can happen to you if you commit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good job. I'm glad you discovered a plan that worked for you. Getting off meds is a big accomplishment.
  • javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I hope to say the same thing one day!
  • fuelednfit
    Options
    You will I saw your other post and you are really working on those number. You keep working toward that goal. It's possible.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    revertt2d's success with a Pritikin-like diet and exercise regimen reflects my own experience. Before my discovery of LCHF 2 months ago AND increased scrutiny of my BG levels above and beyond the ADA's A1c < 7.0 criteria of good control, I was relatively successful not getting obese using Pritikin and exercise. If I became strict, with iron-clad discipline, I could reach my goal weight of 190 lb which I did twice and maintained for a short period of time. Frequent bouts of carbocide keeps my around 210-215 lb. My hunger would always win over my discipline. 2 months ago I blamed my will power. Today I know better.

For me Pritikin + exercise = hunger and carbocide. Atkins + exercise = no hunger + no carbocide. It was easy for me to change. I eliminated fruit, oatmeal, and beans and substituted fats. Like revertt2dm, a new convert to Atkins and I'm loving it.

Progress report?