Long term weight loss prediction app/website

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
I'm looking for an app or website that will take my current weight and calory intake and predict future per week loss [which will continuosly decline], adjusting for weight lost.

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Happy Scales
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Thanks - I'll play with it - but already I have benefits - sine it integrates with the iOS Apple Health app - I looked at that for the first time. I then found a hack that allows me to pull my fitbit data- including weight into Health, and I think that gets pulled into Happy Scales.
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Happy Scales

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but after you input your data it will tell you how much weight it predicts you will lose per week, month and year.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Bob314159
    Options
    The scooby link does a predictive weight loss based on current weight (lol - it said I could lose 1lb a week and I'm losing 2). I need something that I tell my current weight, and my current calory intake and that I'm losing 2 lbs a week, and then it figure out in a week I'm have pounds less to carry - so my calory needs are now lower - and I will lose less next week e.g. 1.999 and it keeps doing that week by week.

Happy Scales can't do that either, but it does lots of nice graphs so I bought it.
  • Bob314159
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Interesting - I used that to get my ratios 2 months ago - it's not obvious that it graphs. I have to think some more - cause it give me a straight line, and I expected a curve as the weight loss per week goes down.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Being that's is simply using a CICO idea of how much weight you will I don't think you can expect anything but a straight line. I use this app that does it too and here's how my predicted loss compares to my trend loss and actual loss.
    lt4w2kqq7lgg.jpeg

I would try it too. It's in the apple App Store titled weight. I'll look to see what else I can find out about it. Don't know if available for android...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Weight Tracker QuickLog.me by Genehome
    https://appsto.re/us/S-l9F.i
    Link to App Store. The "brand" is quicklog.me That website is in a foreign language so I don't know if it links to a google download or not.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My calories are pretty much all over the place, but I religiously track my weight every week and have discovered that I am pretty consistently losing .7#s a week over the long run. I use graph paper and colored pens. It's sort of fun.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is just too funky to really have a program that does more than a "tolerable" job of estimating future weight loss. Real rates of loss can't be predicted without looking at averages over several months of time, and by that point you're not talking about the same system (usually a dramatic change in LBM, fat-mass, metabolic state, etc. since the initial data point several months ago) so establishing predictions about the future will be based on faulty assumptions.

How important is it to have a long term plan? If you're determined to find a long term goal that makes sense to aim for, use your current percentage of weekly loss and the following formula. Obviously, initial deficits that include water weight need to be accounted for.

Are you looking for something like this:0hhfch35h3to.png

Because that's what something purely hypothetical and based on too many assumptions to really be true. The assumptions here are that I can lose the same % of fat mass each week until there is no fat mass left. No matter how you run these numbers, the line is relatively straight until very near your goal. A straight line approximation is certainly acceptably accurate with all the assumptions, error, and confounding factors that come with weight loss. This graph is pretty, but meaningless.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Yes - I fully understand its very "maybe" and too many other factors come into play, but yes _ I was expecting the curved blue line.

I got some info, and put in in Excel and got a rough idea that the 2 lbs a week loss I have now will degrade to 1.4 by next May if all other things stay the same and that does plot as a straight line.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I used a simple spreadsheet based on a constant percentage of the excess lost. What's interesting, when I put in my actual trend weights and starting weight (plus my initial rate after about a month), I get the following match for my first year of keto.

8u9ygxgncghp.png

I used the following information:

Start weight: 92.5 kg (204 lbs)
    Start fat mass: 27.9 kg (61.4 lbs)
    Rate of loss: 0.78 kg/week (1.7 lbs/week) -- this was the average rate of loss at week 5
    Goal weight: 68.5 kg (151 lbs)

What is interesting is how much this relates to the actual weight loss over the year. I can't continue it from there, I don't have an easy way to get the information into this format. This doesn't really relate to calories or the BMR tables. It's more about the relationship between total fat and the amount lost from it each week.

It was a pretty close relationship. The predicted weight would be 71 kg, I was at 70.7 kg. Of course, taking a different week to the initial rate of loss would give me different results. Take my average rate at week 6 (which was a bump up) and you end up almost 4 kg off by the end. Other weeks give me a full kg/week loss rate, which puts the estimate a couple kg too low. So, really, we have a 10 pound range of error over a year. That's pretty darn good, best we can expect.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Thanks - that's interesting. I have an excel sheet with a straight line 2lbs per week goal line, an actual weight line and a polynomial average line to remove the bumps. So far I'm meeting the 2lb/week goal- but I want to tweak it to reflect more a realistic goal when I'm 2 lbs lighter. I'm a but obsessive, but from lack of obsession in 2014 I gained back about 15 lbs from weight I had lost in 2012/2013.