Anyone...

Options
ambsnic17
ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
Anyone seeing "results" with just using Dumbbells for strength training? I saw someone posted something similar to this in another post on here but now I can't find it. I'm a stay at home mom, therefore I workout at home. Dumbbells are all I have. Can it be done or do I need to invest in gym equipment, which is not in my budget at the moment or even in the near future for that matter. Lol Anyone doing this first hand who could share? Thanks!

Replies

• bnowell724
    bnowell724 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Look up body weight exercises - they're very effective and you just use your own weight plus some common household items. I have used "You Are Your Own Gym" and liked it.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Benowell-Have you seen results? I have done workouts that incorporate weight training. Ive used YouTube for a lot of them. I just feel Dumbbells aren't going to cut it!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I have a power cage & free weights but dumb bells and body weight exercises can do a lot. Kettle bells are pretty effective, too. I did a 19 minute KB hiit workout that turned me to jelly yesterday.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Sumiblue- is it enough to transform my body though? I know the dumbbell workouts I've been doing have been good and challenging. I just have to keep doing workouts to continue the challenge. I've googled and looked on YouTube and found some more, so hopefully they will be helpful. What's a power cage? Lol thanks for your response!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    A power cage is a big metal contraption that you can squat, bench, do pull ups and many other lifts in. If you google it you will probably recognize it. As far as transforming your body, it's all about what you put into it. Lift heavy, progressive lifting. Compound lifts, like squats & deadlifts are great and can be modified to use DBs. If you want to challenge your body. Kettlebell workouts are very challenging. I just moved up to a 20lb KB from the 12 I had-hoo boy, that was tough! It sounds like you have no other option so give it a shot! You need a safe place to swing a KB, though. I keep my workout room door shut so kid/pets can't come in while I work out.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Btw, I do Stronglifts 5x5 for heavy lifting.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Anything you have will work given the correct intensity and time. Look online, bodybuilding.com, Pinterest for body weight excersise. Chairs for dips you can work on pull ups with a cheap chin up bar. You can use that same bar or a hook in a ceiling stud ( in the garage maybe) and pully system for cables. Look on garage sale sites for extra weights, people sell them cheap Find something about 20 lbs for thrusters. Burpees. Box jumps. Dang, all the hard stuff isn't even using weights! Buy some bands. They give a lot of resistance and are cheap.
  • ambsnic17
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I do have bands, 5lb and 10lb Dumbbells and a resistance cable. I did just look on youtube last night and saved some dumbbell workouts that look good and challenging. I'll just have to keep adding videos from Pinterest and YouTube. Those are my go to places! Lol I want to invest in an excercise ball. I found one with workouts included, so hopefully Santa will bring that this year LOL
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    My post was cut off... Anyway, you are right that what you put into it depends on whether not you'll see the results. I just know that I'll never step foot in the gym again so I was trying to incorporate more strength training into my workouts so I could see some transformation in my body. Thanks again for your help and recommendations. I will just have to see how it goes!!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I'll have to look at some kettle bell workouts, I might like those!
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm much more accountable being in the gym so I applaud you for being able to do it at home. I previously did p90x and you didn't need too many things to do that and I recall it being pretty hard. One day my daughter was sick and I had to reroute to pick her up at school. I was ready to go to the gym so I looked up CrossFit (I think it was #14) They have names for each different WOD and people online were talking about their WOD that week. It was alternating thrusters with burpees counting down 21,17,14... something like that. It totally kicked my butt. Maybe you can do a little research on some of the crossfit routines that don't require equipment. Not all of them do and they are designed to really work.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    Anyone seeing "results" with just using Dumbbells for strength training? I saw someone posted something similar to this in another post on here but now I can't find it. I'm a stay at home mom, therefore I workout at home. Dumbbells are all I have. Can it be done or do I need to invest in gym equipment, which is not in my budget at the moment or even in the near future for that matter. Lol Anyone doing this first hand who could share? Thanks!

Depends how you use them. In weight training days I do mainly squats,lunges,bridge with 10 kg dumbell, I also do planks, also "The chair" when I stand in sitting position to the wall. You can also do biceps and back with them.
  • bnowell724
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    Benowell-Have you seen results? I have done workouts that incorporate weight training. Ive used YouTube for a lot of them. I just feel Dumbbells aren't going to cut it!

You Are Your Own Gym uses progressive workout routinse, so if you follow the daily workouts you will see results - the author emphasizes progression in the amount of resistance for each workout, which is how you increase strength. I followed it for several weeks as a complete newbie to strength training and I did see results. I ended up joining CrossFit because I like having someone telling me what to do and encouraging me - it pushes me harder than I would myself. But the book had good info and effective methodology, I thought.

It is challenging and definitely shows you can do some serious weight training using your own body weight.

• ambsnic17
    Options
    I have done the chair position, burpees, squats, etc as I'm a Jillian Michaels junkie and she does these. I have done a lot her workouts plus her body revolution, which has a good bit of strength/yoga/Pilates with Dumbbells. I've also done strength workouts with Jessica smith on YouTube. They all have been great, just looking for something to switch things up. I will check out more on crossfit, I've been curious about what it really is. I will also have to check out the "you are your own gym". Thanks ladies for all your reccommendations. I'm looking to lose weight, build muscle/transform my body. I know it won't happen "quick" with Dumbbells, but as long as I'm seeing some change, I'll be happy with that!
  • bnowell724
    Options
    Whatever you do, progression is the key!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    The thing about weightlifting is that your body gets used to the weight if you use the same ones all the time. You could invest in DBs that are adjustable, increasing the weights as you progress. 5& 10 lb DBs are very light and won't transform your body, as you say you want to do. To do that I suggest lifting heavy. With a program like Stronglifts, you begin with just the weight of the bar, 45lbs, as an example. Maybe since you are starting light try to jump to 15, then 20 & on. But you have to really challenge your muscles to change them. I suggest looking into New Rules of Lifting For Women. Lots of DB exercises in there, too.
    Fitstar app has free workouts, body weight. They are great cardio/body weight exercises.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Btw, look on Craigslist or a similar site in your area for used equipment. I got my power cage (power rack), Olympic bar & weights on Craigslist. I see dumb bells listed all the time.
    I work out much more at home than I did when I had to find time to go to the gym. Part of that, though, was I was following a program where I needed to work out 3x/wk or deload. Kept me consistent for a year!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out this thread on working out with only dumbbells:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569 using dumbells only no bar.

And yes, you will need to up your weights to see on going results. More reps per set results in fat burning, heavy weights with fewer reps gives more muscle development (which is awfully slow) but either route will result in changes.

The body weight exercises have helped me a lot as well. Planks kicked my butt up until two months ago, know I can hold a full body plank for over a minute. I am thrilled to have a waistline again :).
  • Mindylee143
    Mindylee143 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have dumbells going up from 8 lbs. all the way to 60 lbs., and they're all I use. As long as you're lifting heavy, you will see changes! :)
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Mindylee-you got your arms by using only Dumbbells?!? WOW! That gives
    me some hope.