Success stories dealing with excess skin?

Options
Hi guys, since starting this Keto diet it has been far more succesful than anything else I have ever done. The thing is I can actually see myself looking the way I want by this time next year! :) but what I am curious about is the excess skin that comes from someone being fat for 3/4 of their life. I have 160 lbs I have to lose and am down to 140 I have to lose. I am curious as to everyone's standpoint for those who have lost A LOT of weight and how they dealt with the excess skin. Did you consider surgury? What is your life like now that you have reached your goal weight?

I know this can be a sensitive subject for some and do not mean to pry but any input would help me on my journey and would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Jschroyer

Replies

• anna114400
    anna114400 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit, about 80lbs total a few years ago before I gained it (and then some) back. I lifted weights so I think that helped with my arms. The main place I had extra skin was my stomach. I did think of having it removed, but never did. I just learned clothes that covered it up and didn't have to many issues. This time, and the last time I might add, I've got about about 120 to lose, so I'll be curious to see how it turns out. Best of luck!
  • samira2603
    samira2603 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    When I reach my goal weight (20 more pounds to go) I will have lost a total of almost 90lb. I have excess skin on my stomach mostly which is also covered in stretch marks due to pregnancy. I have done some research on plastic surgery and at the moment I do see it as a very good option for the future. However, my focus now is getting to my goal weight, getting stronger and being healthy. I don't know how I am going to feel about my stomach/ skin then. We'll see when we get there
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I know I'll need skin removal. My goal will be 200lbs lost Down 135 now. 5lbs of sugar in a 15lb sack leaves a lot of sack and I just don't want to carry it around. I know that surgery is 2-3 years down the line, but I know it's coming.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am also concerned about loose skin. I have lost 65 but need to lose a total of 150. I have already noticed some issues with skin on my upper arms. I have researched this issue and whether you will have it after losing the weight seems to depend on ta variety of factors: age, length of time you were overweight, how quickly you lose the weight, and genetics. Weight lifting may be able to help which is why I stated lifting after the first month, but no roller, cream, etc will help. It may take 2 years for your skin to recover from the loss, it's hard to get insurance to pay for removal unless you can prove major health issues related to the loose skin and you need to have maintained the new weight for at least 6 months. There are many threads in success stories on the main forum about loose skin and there have been several people there who have shared their stories ( surgery, how long it took skin to bounce back, what didn't come back, etc) which may be helpful to you. Good luck!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If I can take a year or two to loose 150 lbs or so, I can take another year or two to do everything apart from surgery as far as diet and exercise to tone that skin.

Of course I will be in my 60's, not my 30's...

But.... surgery is violent. I have a friend who had bariatric surgery, lost a bunch of weight, then gained it ALL back and some. He suffers greatly.

Seems to me that patience and a long term view is the best path - for me, anyway.