Substitutions for the kosher/halal minded

tigeratty
tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
I've enjoyed the thread on what everyone eats. However, I don't eat pork. (I'm ok mixing dairy with meat, just don't want to eat the forbidden animals). Any ideas on what to substitute for bacon, pork rinds and pork in general? I see you guys use pork rinds in place of breading...could I use parmesan?

Chicken and beef get boooring! Thanks!

Replies

• Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited November 2015
    I use parmesan, but recently I wanted to fry so I got some almond flour on Amazon. It isn't cheap but I think a couple pounds should last a long time.
    I eat real bacon but bought some inexpensive faux bacon bits, Aubusson Farms from Walmart, because real bacon is getting to be quite expensive.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Interesting question...wonder if turkey bacon is a possible substitute or is just too processed to be used? I don't eat pork either as a personal preference and try not to mix milk/meat - I may not lose weight as quickly as others on LCHF, but the weight is still going down. Have you looked at some of the week one menus in the South Beach Diet Books? They may give you some ideas for alternative menus.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Instead of bacon in the morning - you might try some sausage made from chicken or turkey. There are some very tasty options out there.
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    I don't eat pork often - it upsets my stomach, as well as fried foods. No pork rinds for me lol.
    I use almond meal for coatings, or just skip coatings. Chicken sausage & turkey bacon are good too. If I really want a hot dog during BBQ season, then I buy kosher beef dogs. I've always done this - even before going low carb. No nitrates + better cuts of meat. I don't find it hard to avoid pork while eating low carb. Avoiding shellfish would be much more difficult for me! ☺️
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    I've seen beef bacon. Not sure what it tastes like, though.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    salt beef, chopped liver, brisket etc. all well known jewish meat preparations.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Lox!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Turkey bacon instead of bacon. Use chicken cracklins (fried chicken skins) instead of pork cracklins. As far as what other meats there are out there to try - you are only limited by your imagination: sheep, goat, deer (multiple kinds like elk, moose, mule deer, antelope), duck, grouse, etc. You can also substitute finely grated cheese of any kind for crushed up pork cracklins and/or finely chopped/ground nuts. Hope this info helps.
  • samira2603
    samira2603 Posts: 9 Member
    I don't eat pork myself and don't substitute the bacon but as mentioned before there is beef bacon available. I have tried turkey bacon but was not a fan. When it comes to breading you can use a combination of almond and coconut flour and or a hard cheese. I have used ground brazil nuts with great succes. There are still a lot of things you can eat (it's not all about the bacon ;-)) Fatty fish, other meats, cheese, eggs, nuts the list goes on. My standart breakfast, if i have one is usually eggs. Then again I don't mind repeating meals which makes life easy keto-wise
  • tigeratty
    Thanks for the ideas! I've eaten the turkey and chicken substitutes for bacon for years, as well as beef hotdogs.. just kinda tired of it all. Will try the almond flour, however. And you bet I'll be using the schmaltz I made for some chopped liver!!
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    isn't it funny that no matter what it is we do, there is never a diet, no matter how easy that will suit everyones needs. I never thought of hal al, or kosher when doing this diet but I can see how it would be harder for some. Here I was just getting bored and I can eat anything. Except fish, I just don't like fish, no reason, just hate it, and mushrooms, those guys help me lose weight because I get so sick if I eat them. ( hey maybe I should eat more of them,lol)
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Some geographic locations are more limiting too. I live in the lakes region of NH (the sticks lol). So I am lucky to find even organic meats. I can only get ground beef, chicken breast & chicken thighs at our grocer. Luckily they started carrying a couple organic lunch meats - but that's very limited too (3 types of turkey). I don't miss living in the city, except for the kosher deli & the international markets!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Can you eat fish? There are countless variations there to add to your diet!
  • tigeratty
    True fish (fins and scales), yes. Shellfish, no. Plus I don't even like shrimp. But you can bet that if I need to up sodium (not there yet) I will be guzzling miso soup, made with bonito (fish) broth!