Keto test drive

Options
Hey all, I'm a long-time lurker here on the keto and LC groups and a first time poster here. I'm 6 weeks post partum and I have a 2 year old, I work and take care of our home cooking and cleaning and taking care of the kittens. I've got about 25 pounds hanging on from my pregnancies that I'd like to lose.

I tried the keto diet last week as a test drive to see if it was something I could sustain while working, cooking for everyone etc. I did Tues thru Friday and I have to say when Saturday rolled around and I was planning on going off plan (we had an event) I didn't really want to. Normally I wake up and eat sugar for breakfast. I'll eat a few spoonfuls of frosting with my coffee and whatever other sweets we have and when I dug into the Halloween candy bowl I realized that I just didn't want it so I threw the candy back, got my coffee and walked away. This is huge for me. Anyway, already long story short I ended up drinking and ate some candy..then I couldn't stop. I woke up craving sugar again and I'm realizing this diet needs to become a way of life for me.

I find it easy to follow while cooking for my family and it's really easy to say no to carbs once you get a couple days in. I've seen posts about young mom's saying it's unrealistic sticking to keto and I'm happy to say that I can do it! I don't know where I'm going with this but I'm starting this week doing keto and experimenting with IF. If anyone has tips or pointers please let me know about what worked for you starting out.

Replies

• scoopskipotato
    scoopskipotato Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious as to whether or not exercising on the first day of keto will help start ketosis more quickly.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You need to be really strict for I'd say at least 3 weeks otherwise you'll never get over the hump of cravings. Yes, things like fasting, exercise, and MCT oil can help with ketone production, but your mitochondria need time to adapt to FFAs as a fuel source rather than glucose.
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've been on and off keto, and now back on with a vengeance. I found when I first started up that I just craved fat and was really hungry. I ate more than I usually do, but with more fats (salads with fatty dressing, bacon and eggs, tuna with lots of mayo). I do make fat bombs, with stevia and/or xylitol, but if you're trying to kick the sugar habit, you might want to stay away from them for a while. RE: exercise, I've read that you should take it easy the first week or so as your body adapts. Walking, easy bike rides, that sort of thing is okay. Then add high intensity interval training.
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh, and add me as a friend if you want!
  • scoopskipotato
    scoopskipotato Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Got it, thanks guys this is great info!
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yep it takes a few weeks of keto to become what is called keto adapted. This is when your body comes into rhythm with a WOE that is easy to make a forever lifetime way.