Does anyone test at 3am?

Options
javonjay76
javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
I've tried all types of stuff to get my FB lower. I can do really well for dinner and snack at night and still see a morning high. I'm starting to think I have lows in my sleep and when I wake its high because of the output.

Has this happened to anyone before? This is what I'm going to do to investigate...

1. Eat a well balanced dinner
2. Check BS 2 hours after dinner
3. Before bedtime have a snack
4. Set alarm for 3am and test BS. ( I hope I am coherent enough to do it right)
5. Test FB next morning at 7am before breakfast.

Question: How many hours do you consider fasting? I usually get 6-7 hours of sleep and M-F I test my FB around 6:30am. And its always over 140. Although, Sat & Sun, I sleep in and test my FB around 9am-10am and its around 110-118. Is this unusual?

Thanks!

Replies

• javonjay76
    Options
    Well my 3am reading was 143 .

• fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    All day long my bs was fine before and after meal but my morning was always bad. My endocrinologist said it was normal it's what she called the stress of waking up. I was not really satisfied since normal people have normal fasting blood glucose. Anyway I noticed that if I exercise and only when I was exercising the day prior my fasting bs was always good in the morning
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oh and I initially had the same hypothesis as you...so I woke up in the middle of the night a few times to check if I was hypo and I was not
  • javonjay76
    Options
    Hi Revert-

My FB have always been all over the place :( Same here the throughout the day its fine! Unless I get aholdof something I shouldn't. But today I don't know....

8:30pm Healthy dinner

10:30pm 146 glucose reading (forgot to take Lantus) (went bed with snack)

3:30 am 141

6:46am 118

I'm going to see if I get these levels again tonight.....
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Here's an article about high am blood sugar; called the Dawn Phenomenon.

These articles references patients taking insulin.
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Diabetes_Basics/hic_diabetes_checklist/hic_What_Causes_High_Blood_Sugar_Levels_in_the_Morning

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Basically, it's what happens when your liver, for whatever reason, dumps glucose into your system during the night.

I've always tested high in the mornings (I'm type2). It doesn't matter what I eat the day/night before or what my numbers are later in the day; I'm ALWAYS high in the morning.

I got a fitbit and set it to track my sleep patterns. I found that if I was restless during the night, got up to pee (it's rare that I don't) or otherwise wake up during the night, my numbers were MUCH higher in the morning than they were on a night when I slept clear through.

My doc wants me to start using insulin once a day, at bedtime. :|
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    tsazani, thank you for that explanation. I was confused about this.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    try giving up night snack, have nothing after dinner and see if thiseaffects morning BSugars
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    fasting IS 12 HOURS ACCORDING TO Byron Richards, the leptin guy ,cutting out supper snacks for all time!I got used to this after years of suppers before bed!