Salad

Options
wtskinner
wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
Explain to me how salad greens, ranch dressing, meats and cheeses bump my post meal blood sugar to 148? Do green veggies really have that much affect?

Replies

• wtskinner
    Options
    I'm referring to about 90 minutes after the salad
  • titinil
    titinil Posts: 142 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Perhaps there is sugar in the ranch dressing (corn syrup maybe)? Check the ingredients, especially if it is fat free or reduced fat. They usually add some kind of sugar and/or starch to make up for the missing fat.
  • wtskinner
    Options
    that's possible, it is provided at work and is not in the original container. I may have to bring my own in next week.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my glucose meter gives a false reading...it has happrned to me a few times. I usually test a second time to verify it.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    It's the protein. They do my bg#s. Fats are the only food group that has little effect on my
    glucose numbers.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The dressing could be 4-5 grams of sugar per tablespoon. You probably use 2-3 tablespoons. Lowfat cheeses usually have something added to replace the fat. If the meat is honey-cured ham you pick up a few more grams. You could see a 50 gram difference between 2 very similar looking salads.