Do you 'Zwift'?

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
If you're on Zwift, give me a shout (PM).

I've started a new group; MFP Zwifters: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109881-mfp-zwifters

It's by invite only though, so you'll need to send me a PM so I can invite you over - Cheers ;)

Replies

• cloggsy71
    Options
    Really? Does nobody use Zwift? Come on...
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I just checked it out - looks like a way to make trainer riding more fun! Might have to look into doing it this winter.
  • bugsplatt
    bugsplatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've got an account but haven't used it yet. I'm working on getting set up in the basement and want to get a new trainer that can "talk" to Zwift. I should be set up within a couple weeks. I'm hoping it makes riding the trainer less boring.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    bugsplatt wrote: »
    I'm hoping it makes riding the trainer less boring.

Oh, it does... Much more 'social' (if you want it to be) ;)
  • Nepq
    Nepq Posts: 10 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @cloggsy71 I use Zwift, almost daily now ;)
    Would be nice if I could join the group :)
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Considering it.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Nepq wrote: »
    @cloggsy71 I use Zwift, almost daily now ;)
    Would be nice if I could join the group :)

Maybe you could drop him a PM like it says in the OP ;)
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Erryday I'm zwiftin in the winter.
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    Tempted, but does anyone know if I can achieve it with a Nexus 7 (fallback laptop), Garmin 800 (with speed sensor) and a dumb turbo trainer (Elite mag).

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Tempted, but does anyone know if I can achieve it with a Nexus 7 (fallback laptop), Garmin 800 (with speed sensor) and a dumb turbo trainer (Elite mag).
    The Nexus 7 is an android tablet, correct? If so, then no, you can't run the game on that. Zwift does have a mobile app but it's just an adjunct to the main game software that only runs on Windows or Mac.

The Garmin 800 isn't needed necessarily. The Zwift website says the full range of Elite trainers are supported so your Elite Mag and the Garmin speed sensor should be all you need, provided you have a Windows or Mac computer that can run the software. My experience has been that you don't need a particularly robust machine to run it. Better machine, better experience, but my wife runs it on a pretty craptastic $300 laptop and it works.

Options
    thanks @ntnunk
    one other question...
    If I set the tension at 1 on the Elite, it's obviously a lot easier than if on 5 so how do virtual races account for that?
  • ntnunk
    Options
    thanks @ntnunk
    one other question...
    If I set the tension at 1 on the Elite, it's obviously a lot easier than if on 5 so how do virtual races account for that?
    I'm not sure how Zwift handles it. I would imagine there's a different trainer profile for each tension setting, i.e. Elite Mag 1, Elite Mag 2, etc. I can check tonight when I get home if you wish, or perhaps somebody around here has their Zwift computer nearby and can look before that.

Options
    Ah ok, i will try it out when i get things setup later in the week. Cheers
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    thanks @ntnunk
    one other question...
    I'm not sure how Zwift handles it. I would imagine there's a different trainer profile for each tension setting, i.e. Elite Mag 1, Elite Mag 2, etc. I can check tonight when I get home if you wish, or perhaps somebody around here has their Zwift computer nearby and can look before that.

Afaik Zwift has a particular setting in mind depending on the trainer, and will base it's resistance curve off that. I believe it may also have you do some form of spindown to calibrate that resistance curve.

In other words, if it makes you pick 5 then it will know you're in setting 5 and use the appropriate resistance curve.

Options
    thanks all :smile: , I'll see how i get on
    Options
    worked a treat, just told me to set the tension to level 3 and I was up and running
  • ntnunk
    Options
    worked a treat, just told me to set the tension to level 3 and I was up and running

Awesome. See you on Watopia sometime!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I do use it when it's raining out, or when it's snowing out. Other than that I'd rather be outdoors.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use it. But it's summer now. Rather be outside. November I'll be back on :-)