Life gets in the way!

katjord
katjord Posts: 17 Member
The flu hit our house today! Not the best way to start my first week back on track! What are some of the ways you guys avoid over indulging in comfort foods when you are sick?

Replies

• wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    When sickness strikes, it's comfort all the way, baby! That said, when I'm actually on track, I try to keep a pot of herbal or green tea at the ready much of the day, so I hydrate first.

Also, i'm using this app from www.getenough.ca - my goal is to reach for fruit/veg first, fulfill those requirements (the app gives you a visual cue) THEN go to treats. The first couple of days I used the app, I didn't feel the need for excess.

And the age old rule - if it ain't in the house, ya can't eat it. That helps my see-food problem!

Have a great day wherever you are! Presently I'm being weighed down by my napping dog... Must. Do. Ab. Workout. Or laundry...
  • wender125
  • wender125
    ^^^ I don't want to disturb her!!
  • wender125
    katjord wrote: »
    The flu hit our house today!

Noooo! Aw that sucks... Hope it passes quickly. Take care & eat lots of soup!!!

xo
  • Lorri127
    Lorri127 Posts: 36 Member
    .... oh what I would give to have my doggy asleep on me right now and be home relaxing! Cutie!!

It's so tough to stay on track when feeling sick, the green tea is a great way to start though! Soups and tea. Hope you feel better soon @katjord :s
  • hmrey76
    hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
    when I'm sick, I don't want to eat. Hope you feel better.
  • blitzbis
    blitzbis Posts: 366 Member
    @katjord Wow, it seems that when you get motivated something seems to jump up and kick you, doesn't it? I hope you and the fam feel better soon.
    I do eat when I'm sick but as with others, I try not to keep bad things in the house. When I'm sick i want some good ole chips and salsa or a creamy soup. totally not good for me.
    @wender125 what a sweetie pie. I have three dogs and 4 cats (can you say country girl?) My precious baby, Beauxregard, is 12 year old golden retriever, recently diagnosed with a sarcoma. thankfully he's still eating well but we can't it removed because they'd have to amputate the leg. He's so arthritic he couldn't get around. So his huge tail lays around on me all the time. I love the old gentleman. Love the other 2 also but Beaux is my favorite. we used to travel to nursing homes etc to make visits and he would be so sweet. But since he can't get up off the slick floors we had to stop that too.
    Wow, that came out of nowhere. But thanks for "listening".
    Tomorrow Chris and I are going to a craft fair (we make pet bandanas) and I'm hoping we sell a lot because my goal (other than weight loss) is to get some debt paid off.
    Cross your fingers for us!
    I'll check in at some point tomorrow
  • wender125
    blitzbis wrote: »
    I have three dogs and 4 cats (can you say country girl?) My precious baby, Beauxregard, is 12 year old golden retriever, recently diagnosed with a sarcoma. thankfully he's still eating well but we can't it removed because they'd have to amputate the leg. He's so arthritic he couldn't get around. So his huge tail lays around on me all the time. I love the old gentleman. Love the other 2 also but Beaux is my favorite. we used to travel to nursing homes etc to make visits and he would be so sweet. But since he can't get up off the slick floors we had to stop that too.
    Wow, that came out of nowhere. But thanks for "listening".
    Tomorrow Chris and I are going to a craft fair (we make pet bandanas) and I'm hoping we sell a lot because my goal (other than weight loss) is to get some debt paid off.

Beaux sounds like a wonderful dog - would you post a picture so we can "meet" him?

Tis the season for craft fairs! Good luck!

w ;)
  • katjord
    wender125 wrote: »
    When sickness strikes, it's comfort all the way, baby! That said, when I'm actually on track, I try to keep a pot of herbal or green tea at the ready much of the day, so I hydrate first.

Also, i'm using this app from www.getenough.ca - my goal is to reach for fruit/veg first, fulfill those requirements (the app gives you a visual cue) THEN go to treats. The first couple of days I used the app, I didn't feel the need for excess.

And the age old rule - if it ain't in the house, ya can't eat it. That helps my see-food problem!

Have a great day wherever you are! Presently I'm being weighed down by my napping dog... Must. Do. Ab. Workout. Or laundry...

Thanks for the info!!! I hope you did an ab workout. Laundry is the worst lol
  • katjord
    Lorri127 wrote: »
    .... oh what I would give to have my doggy asleep on me right now and be home relaxing! Cutie!!

It's so tough to stay on track when feeling sick, the green tea is a great way to start though! Soups and tea. Hope you feel better soon @katjord :s
    I am feeling much better thanks so much!
  • blitzbis
    Well, since you ask
  • wender125
    blitzbis wrote: »
    Well, since you ask

Aw, what a sweetie - thanks for sharing.
    katjord wrote: »
    I am feeling much better thanks so much!

Glad to hear you're on the mend!
  • Lorri127
    Glad you are feeling better... and love seeing the dog pictures. I too am a dog lover!!
    Hope you sold lots of bandanas this weekend @blitzbis !!
  • blitzbis
    @Lorri127 We had an awesome sale! Even had to come back to the fabric store to get some more Christmas fabric for our last show of the season next weekend.
    I have made a pact with myself. I am LOGGING all my foods today (I'm aiming for this week, but realistically taking one day at a time)
    I just looked at that pic of Beaux. In it, you can see the sarcoma (that HUGE hump on his hip) Poor baby
  • blitzbis
    It is a rainy ugly day today. I'm hoping the forecast is right so I can get out this afternoon and do some exercising. But if not, I have my workout planned for the office too.
    I did bring my lunch and snacks today. The patients are having breakfast for lunch so if I can stay away from the biscuits, gravy and sausage, I'll be happy!
  • Lorri127
    @blitzbis - wonderful, glad it was a success!!

Logging is one of the easiest yet hardest things to do. By logging your foods you have to be 100% honest with yourself and with your MFP support group. It's easy to just skip a thing here or there. By logging each and every drop, crumb & bite, you will have more control over what you eat. Don't be ashamed if you go over, just log it! We've all been there, we all have the struggle. One bite, meal, day, week at a time.
  • blitzbis
    @Lorri127 you are so right. I find that I like my FitBit because I can't cheat on it. I either walk my 10,000 steps or I don't. Of course, other exercises don't register on it, but I find that it's easy for me to cheat myself with the attitude of "i'll really start doing it tomorrow or next week". So when my husband asks if I worked out I say yes and the only person that hurts is me.
    I also joined a series of races that if I complete all 6 of them in order, then I get a medal. The first one was the 7th and initially I wasn't on the final results webpage. (They apparently quit timing it at an hour and30 minutes and I finished in and hour and 38). I was dejected all weekend because I KNEW i had completed. I KNEW i hadn't lied about it and I needed credit from an outside "authority". I wish I had the inner strength to award myself but right now, I need the external because I cheat myself.
    Now, I use my scale because that can't be manipulated, my FitBit and these races as my "success" until I have the wherewithall to be my own keeper again.
  • Lorri127
    :):):)
  • blitzbis
    Went over to the hospital today to get my staff their Thanksgiving lunch. My goodness the carbohydrates. I have locked myself in the office with my salad and turkey.
  • blitzbis
    Tomorrow we have another craft fair. I have packed my snacks but know breakfast will be a challenge. I'll log my food though and make it work. It's going to be cold so does shivering count as exercise?