Low fat WHOLE FOOD salad dressing - Creamy Balsalmic Vinaigrette

Options
HonestOmnivore
HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
It's tough to come up with healthy real food salad dressings so when I worked this one out I thought I'd share it here.

3/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt*
4 cloves raw garlic crushed, minced, or pressed (or more - really, it's the best part!)
1 TBSP yellow mustard
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste-optional)

Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, mustard and seasonings, until well combined, then mix in yogurt. While whisking the mixture slowly add the vinegar.

Taste and adjust seasonings.

*I use whole milk yogurt because I use milk from my own goats, but I've used low-fat yogurt and you really can't tell due to the other ingredients. If I were buying yogurt, I'd buy the low-fat kind for this recipe.

Want to make your own yogurt? Just heat a quart of milk to about 100F, add a 1/4 cup plain store bought yogurt to it, mixing to combine, and stash it in a warm place for about 18 hours! I use the inside of my electric oven (turned off, but with the interior light on - my sister uses her gas oven, the pilot light is enough to keep it warm)

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I should have said "Lower fat" or "lower calorie" since there's still plenty of fat in this!

For an even leaner recipe, substitute the yogurt for whey! If you make your own Greek yogurt, the clear liquid whey you collect can be frozen until you have enough to make up this recipe!
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you...sounds like a winner
  • got2be160
    got2be160 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome &'tasty ......how many calories is this