Anyone...

Options
2»

Replies

• ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Retirehappy-thanks for the reccommended thread. I will be checking that out. Didn't know there was one!
    It sounds like I need to eventually increase and invest in heavier Dumbbells, but for now I'm ok. I just never thought that "heavy lifting" was with Dumbbells. shows how much I know! LOL thanks ladies
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Heavy is for you.

For instance, for many people, pullups up to say 3 x 12 reps will be a heavy workout for a long time, because it'll be a while until they actually get to that point.
    So there's bodyweight being fine for a long time.
    Dips perhaps just as good.

Squats usually loses it fast so that 3 x 15 reps isn't hard anymore, so there are 1 legged options that will stretch that out for a long time. Add some dumbbells and go longer.

The problem is you want to start with compound moves that use the biggest muscles, and while the supporting smaller muscles will usually be the weak link first, they will improve the fastest. So while bent-over row with 10 lb dumbbell may be a workout for the bicep for awhile, eventually that'll be fine and that weight won't be a workout for the actual back muscle which is primary focus.
    Same with bench press and tricep.

Just don't do the supporting small muscles first, and wear them out.
  • crewbprice
    crewbprice Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Startbodyweight.com. Go to the toolbar at the top and go to exercise progressions. It shows you how to progress in body weight exercises, and worked well for me. They also have exercise plan suggestions in another tab.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Thanks crewbprice, I will be adding that to my other resources!!!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I am excited to end the program I'm doing now to focus primarily on strength training!!
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Www.dumbbell-exercises.com