new here

Hello all, I am new to this group although not to low carb in general. I did Atkins several years ago and lost 50 pounds but then life happened and I was back on the carbs before I knew it! Gained it all back plus some. So I know that low carb will work, but I have to be really careful about what I eat. I work second shift so by the time I wake up and get ready for work I have missed breakfast. So I usually stop on the way to work and get a salad or a burger (no bun) for lunch and dinner. Also try to keep low carb snacks available but all of that is really high in sodium. I also have hashimoto's and just found out that I am in menopause (absolutely no hormones) so I have a hard time with weight loss right now. Anyway that is my story and I look forward to talking to everyone!

Replies

• SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Hi, nice to see you. Feel free to add me. They're a nice welcoming group on here.
  • creamcake2
    creamcake2 Posts: 220 Member
    HI....I am rather new to this group too....you can also add me. I need to get some friends who are LCHF....because most of the others just don't understand it !
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Welcome to the group ... wishing you the best ..... Feel free to add me ...I am a LCHF eater and loving it :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Sodium isn't a big concern for low carb, depending on how low I guess. Under 50g carbs, it's a good idea to have more sodium.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Welcome. :)
    I agree, lowering carbs often increases or doubles our sodium needs. You are probably fine unless you have problems with higher sodium.

Best wishes.
  • Doubledach
    Doubledach Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Welcome! Take a look at the Launchpad for lots of helpful info on this way of eating, book recommendations and links to tools for calculating macros, etc. Good luck with your journey.
  • Vilzi
    Vilzi Posts: 29 Member
    Welcome :)
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Welcome!! Feel free to add me as well.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Your story sounds similar to mine. I 'rediscovered ' low carb eating at the bottom of a very dark depression. I knew that Atkins "worked" even though I had not been able to sustain it personally. So I began to binge research and found that the science has greatly advanced. Discovered Phinney, Volek, and others, and found that Atkins had evolved to LCHF.

Hope began to return, and I am feeling great and down over 50 lbs since June 1st.

I have a long way to go, and have found that for those of us who are insulin resistant and morbidly obese there is a long term mindset and perspective to this Way Of Eating that you must find.

I'm 59, and I want to LIVE, and simply don't have the time to 'play around the edges ' anymore.

Good luck, and welcome to LCHF!

Feel free to add me.
  • rayn3z
    rayn3z Posts: 19 Member
    Welcome! I am also new to LCHF
    Feel free to add me
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,070 Member
    Welcome !