Thanksgiving Meal suggestions

Options
RogerToo
RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
Meal Suggestions by Michelle from the Old NS forums

Below is an idea of things you could use for Thanksgiving dinner. The portion sizes are a suggestion, and the calories are averages that may not match what you cook or are served. If you use this list, remember that the combined total of the max calorie NS dinner, the max calorie NS dessert, the max calorie for a SmartCarb, and 2 servings of veggies would be 650 calories. The total count of all the stuff below is 1023 calories. You therefore can't eat the whole list, so pick and choose your favorites.

Turkey (white meat) 3 oz, Approx. Calories 133

Ham (fat trimmed) 3 oz, Approx. Calories 150 -- HIGH sodium

Mashed potatoes 1/4 cup , Approx. Calories 75

Stuffing 1/4 cup, Approx. Calories 90

Gravy 1/4 cup, Approx. Calories 25

Sweet potatoes 1/4 cup , Approx. Calories 100

Green Beans (steamed) 1 cup , Approx. Calories 40

Cranberry sauce 2 Tbsp., Approx. Calories 40

Roll (no butter) 1, Approx. Calories 90

Pumpkin Pie (no whip) 1/8 of an 8" pie, Approx. Calories 190

Wine 4 oz., Approx. Calories 90

Replies

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Yum. I love turkey! Unfortunately, I also really like all the rest if that stuff!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Val
    I guess You could eat the entire list spread out throughout the day :)

We only do Turkey for Thanksgiving as my Brother is a traditionalist that way.

He was out in Pennsylvania yesterday and Bought a ton of meats at Dietrichs and a bag of Hickory Nuts too. Part of the Purchases is a Piece of Ham @ 2 Pounds 4 ounces in size that we Vacuum sealed and froze for Christmas Day. It will be used in addition to Vacuum sealed and frozen Turkey for Turkey Day :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for some recipes low carb for the side dishes. I have been following low carb but still would love the sweet potato and stuffing. Any sites that would be good.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    I have been looking for some recipes low carb for the side dishes. I have been following low carb but still would love the sweet potato and stuffing. Any sites that would be good.

Hi Belle
    I wish I could help with that, everything I have is recipes for Nutrisystem.
    Maybe Something in this Downloadable PDF?
    http://www.islandnet.com/~pwwright/flipbook/files/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf

Or maybe here at Atkins? I seem to remember Atkins as High Protein and low Carb foods.
    http://au-mealplanner.atkins.com/atkins-recipes/search-recipes.html?searchparam=

Good Luck
    Roger
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    WOW Roger thanks so much for that PDF. Some of those low glycemic recipes look wonderful and I will be using them. Atkins look great too. I have saved the 1st one and bookmarked Atkins.
    What are you doing for Thanksgiving? I have about 6 maybe 8 people for the Holiday.

I have been busy coloring Thanksgiving Day place mats. I had bought them for the craft show I had and not all of them sold. So to keep my hands away from my mouth I decided to color them myself, seeing as it is a relaxing activity for me. I also have some Santa coloring sheets that will be made into ornaments and some advent posters to color. Plus I am working on a loom to make scarves. So these hands are keeping busy but I do not see any weight moving off of me this month yet. Hopefully it will move soon as I have to see the surgeon again on the 23rd of this month for the gallbladder surgery in Jan. He wants me to get as close to 300 as I possibly can.
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,106 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are a great substitute for carbs. Mix some veggies with a little olive oil and some spices and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. They're much more satisfying than boiled or steamed veggies.
    Some people also substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes. You can also spice them up if you want with garlic or onion or whatever spices you like. :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    WOW Roger thanks so much for that PDF. Some of those low glycemic recipes look wonderful and I will be using them. Atkins look great too. I have saved the 1st one and bookmarked Atkins.
    What are you doing for Thanksgiving? I have about 6 maybe 8 people for the Holiday.

I have been busy coloring Thanksgiving Day place mats. I had bought them for the craft show I had and not all of them sold. So to keep my hands away from my mouth I decided to color them myself, seeing as it is a relaxing activity for me. I also have some Santa coloring sheets that will be made into ornaments and some advent posters to color. Plus I am working on a loom to make scarves. So these hands are keeping busy but I do not see any weight moving off of me this month yet. Hopefully it will move soon as I have to see the surgeon again on the 23rd of this month for the gallbladder surgery in Jan. He wants me to get as close to 300 as I possibly can.

Hi Amanda
    Do not forget to save the PDF locally on Your computer, Who knows if or how long it will be there, I'm glad it looks good.

Talk to Your Doctor Regarding Atkins beyond now and then.

I not know how many for Thanksgiving, It may be just my brother and I, too soon to tell. No matter he will do a entire menu.

Good Luck with the crafts and the Doctor
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Roasted veggies are a great substitute for carbs. Mix some veggies with a little olive oil and some spices and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. They're much more satisfying than boiled or steamed veggies.
    Some people also substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes. You can also spice them up if you want with garlic or onion or whatever spices you like. :)

Hi Vix
    I have heard that regarding Cauliflower, OTOH I like it as is :) I'd be the only one eating them as My brother will insist on Mashed Potatoes.

Sometimes I do something similar to the roasting but on the stove in a deep wok style pan.

Cheers
    Roger