Confused about metabolism

Options
wombleval
wombleval Posts: 36 Member
Can someone explain the science here . I had ED and are less than 1000 calories for 20 years and weight stayed pretty much the same all the time (5ft and 105lbs). This year I started lifting and went upto 1800 cals and 90 mins exercise a day(including heavy weights) with a few lbs gain. This summer I got my rmr measured. Expected to be told it was suppressed but instead was told its 33% higher than expected (1598). I just don't get how I wasn't losing fat all along if my metabolism wasnt suppressed but on fire!! How did my body operate on 1800 (less for the 20 years previous) while i didnt lose any weight,yet not lower metabolic rate? Is metabolism more than just metabolic rate? What DID my body cut back on if not rmr?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Metabolism is a term usually thrown around too loosely.

basal metabolism (BMR) - for truly basic functions - when measured it's at the end of sleep cycle when body is done repairing whatever is going to be done, and still basically asleep.
    They wake you in the lab, put a hood over your head, and let you go back to sleep.

You had RMR or resting metabolism tested - which includes being awake and brain is one of the bigger metabolic organs that accounts for most of your base burn, plus your other active systems - even though sitting in chair calmly resting. So it is higher than BMR, usually by 150-250 cal daily.

Some people apply metabolism to higher functions, to include eating or all day - but that's not really.

So a valid RMR test would be day after rest day - if body was under repair from prior workout still - falsely elevated RMR and bad test.
    Same as if you ate within 4-5 hrs, because the digestion causes more CO2 to be expired and that fools the calculations for energy use.

But for sake of comment, lets say totally valid test results.
    Your body can adjust other systems so the basic metabolism functions get the calories they need.
    First thing a body does is slow down daily activity, Spontaneous Physical Activity (SPA), which would even include physical "ticks" like shaking leg, moving arms, getting up more frequently just to move, ect.
    Or in your case - it never sped up to include what could be included. You likely have room for your TDEE to go even higher.
    Or willing to burn more to keep warm.
    Or grow hair/nails/skin at a normal rate - which you've likely not experienced for a very long time.

Metabolic efficiency is what it's called for other aspects. Body can be wasteful for even those base functions if enough calories around.

So while you could keep a higher RMR say than expected, your daily burn could still be much lower than normal.

Also, eating more and lifting is great way to get body to speed back up, so the fact of 20 years suppressed doesn't mean it would take longer to recover.
    One study showed that even still eating at lab measured suppressed TDEE, body started speeding back up partially in 3 months. Most people find it speeds up faster eating more and lifting - which you did.

How do you know it wasn't losing fat during that time of eating 1800 while metabolism was increasing?
    True, for some of that time likely not, but near end probably was.
  • wombleval
    Options
    Didn't realise that much potential difference between rmr and BMR. Was thinking 100cals. I walk 1800 steps a day,cycle for 30 mins more days and lift weights for 70 mins three times a week. My tdee based on rmr was 2400 which I'm almost at. Afraid it's overestimated and will keep gaining !! Time will tell. Just need to be brave.
    Rmr test was after 48 hours with no exercise and hadn't eaten or drank for 4 hours previous. I'm a terrible fidgeter so that didn't slow down over the years!! Have poor hair and nails and had osteopenia since I was in 20s so guess that's another area I scrimped on.
    Thanks haybales !!!
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, even if the 2400 was say 250 more than reality on average - it would take 2 weeks eating that daily to slowly gain 1 lb - if with your lifting - not even all fat.

Now women can usually gain 1 lb in a month at surplus level of eating of muscle mass.
    So close to that figure.

But I'd still wait and see. At least no need to increase slowly waiting for metabolism to speed up. But you may need time for daily movement to increase to expected levels, even if that good fidgeting.
  • wombleval
    Options
    You mean I should have jumped straight to tdee- rather than dragging it over 3 months?? Aaagh. As t s I reckon. would need to eat at tdee for a good 6 months before cutting (based on my long history of vlcd) so won't be happy with body for next summer. What didn't I post this months ago!!! Hopefully some recomp week happen in those 6 months so I won't feel as big as I do now...half a stone above lowest weight which being 5ft is alot.
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, slow at first is good so body knows the craziness isn't continuing, like 100 extra daily for a couple of weeks - but then 250 hops for a week is good after that.

Any water weight from increased carb storage will happen in first few weeks with just a fewer extra calories.
    That in itself speeds up metabolism dealing with that stored water.
    After that happens, the big jumps aren't so bad.

I'm sure with good lifting program, you already got a good recomp going and will continue to. May not need 6 months. I've never seen a study indicate that a longer time suppressed needed a longer time to recover.
    Some bodies just genetically adapt fast to changes, but always seems to be the fastest is down compared to up, no matter what.

That's why the frequent break weeks are good, just in case you have a body wanting to adjust too fast.
    Also why the average weekly TDEE method works so well - your literal deficit each day is variable, from perhaps some days being no deficit to other days bigger than 15%. But that keeps the body pliable (not guessing or shocked) as it should be.
  • wombleval
    Options
    That's great I mightn't need to reset for as long as thought!!am 45 so any recomp has been pretty subtle-feel slightly bigger all over rather than inches lost. Torso tighter for sure though. I eat pretty much same stuff each day so not much variation in calories which i hope is good for metabolism( healthy food is 90%). Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and reassurance.