LC diet leaving me feeling depressed

2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Another thought: food is usually a source of connection in our lives. If eating low carb means that you aren't eating with other people, maybe finding other ways to connect, or taking things that you CAN eat to social gatherings would help.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    SuesNewImage I hear you. My work canteen smothers proteins with sauces and pairs reasonable things in an integrated fashion with pasta or potatoes. I end up buying eggs, nuts and green leafy veg and noting to self to pack a protein! Feels horrible not to have a choice other than dissecting food which is isolating.
    Fortunately for me I am so much happier with no sugar (less than 10 grams) than before I started reducing carbs that I can get past the feeling like a freak at lunch.
  • iammantistobbogan
    iammantistobbogan Posts: 40 Member
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Spent a good bit of time this weekend doing more research and changing my goals so I'm hoping that will make a change to my mood
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    I felt depressed when I ate lots of carbs -- but letting go of that was really hard, like letting go of "comfort" and "best friend." It took about 30 days to start to feel a lot better, but still in the winter it can be hard, and I use a "light box" -- some evidence that this helps with mood in dark winter months, and I try to stay connected with community. Sometimes professional help can make a difference too!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Also keep in mind that this is the time of year for SAD (seasonal affective disorder). I have MAJOR issues this time of year, and I always want to go crazy with carbs (this is my first winter doing keto). I actually went ahead and got on something because I could already tell this year was going to be BAD for me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    who4fan wrote: »
    I have only been doing this again for a few days and I am depressed as well. I am sure that part of it is that the holidays are coming and many of the things I love to have during the holidays are not part of this diet. I am trying to limit calories, which of course I shouldn't be doing. It's just that I am used to doing it and breaking that habit is hard.

You'd think it would suck, but it's actually not as bad as you expect it to be. I used to be the type that had a hard time staying away from all the holiday goodies, but now, as long as I don't start, I can turn it down fairly easily and don't feel bad about it, because the cravings are no longer there. Additionally, even if you do end up caving, after you've been low carb for a while, any issues the carbs/sugar give you will be highlighted from such an event and you'll very likely have little desire to repeat that again.
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that this is the time of year for SAD (seasonal affective disorder). I have MAJOR issues this time of year, and I always want to go crazy with carbs (this is my first winter doing keto). I actually went ahead and got on something because I could already tell this year was going to be BAD for me.

Yep, this is especially the case if you're in an area that is overcast this time of year. Dropping carbs can highlight the lack of Vitamin D (because carbs increase serotonin levels, which can mask the effects of Vitamin D deficiency). Try supplementing with high quality Vitamin D (ideally with K2) for a while and see if that helps, too.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You'd think it would suck, but it's actually not as bad as you expect it to be. I used to be the type that had a hard time staying away from all the holiday goodies, but now, as long as I don't start, I can turn it down fairly easily and don't feel bad about it, because the cravings are no longer there. Additionally, even if you do end up caving, after you've been low carb for a while, any issues the carbs/sugar give you will be highlighted from such an event and you'll very likely have little desire to repeat that again.

Emphasis mine. Everyone read this! Don't have the first bite, and the other thousands can't follow!
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Spent a good bit of time this weekend doing more research and changing my goals so I'm hoping that will make a change to my mood

@iammantistobbogan How's it going? Sometimes the mere fact that you're working to feel better helps.
  • iammantistobbogan
    iammantistobbogan Posts: 40 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »

@iammantistobbogan How's it going? Sometimes the mere fact that you're working to feel better helps.

Coping much better this week- my change in macros have really helped and also timing what little carbs I'm having around my workouts seems to make a huge difference to my performance! I'll keep on with the trial and error until I find my happy zone
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    So glad you're feeling better! Part of the challenge of this wol is finding that balance, where you feel best. Once you find it, things are wonderful!
  • lithezebra
    I'm glad to hear that you're tweaking your way into your happy zone!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I totally know how you feel - I've been in the same boat. I 100% know that it's the isolated feeling that gets to me. I have put too much 'joy' in food I guess. I'm hoping and working to transfer that joy to a new kind of cooking/eating! I think I want to set a goal of making 2 new things each week (maybe more if I can manage). The overwhelming part for me is having the ingredients on hand that work well in crafting some low-carbery foods. Once I build up some stuff it'll be easier (I hope). Hang in there and know you're not alone.

Also - I had no idea the fat could be an issue. I'm really going to try and focus in on the macros better. And stop worrying as much about the calories.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    The depression you feel may have to do with something else that is not in sync with your needs (physical as well as mental), resulting from a lack of exercise, or as in a vitamin deficiency of some kind...Vita D, B12, iron - or maybe it is the withdrawal from all that processed stuff you may have been eating before??? Alas, I'm not a doctor, not even a nurse, just a busy-body who has lost 35 lbs on LC and learned so much from the people on this list. Glad to read that you're feeling better, but hope you will seek out professional help, maybe starting out with your internist. Let them rule out if there's anything else going on. Healing, happy thoughts being sent your way. Feel free to friend me...I'm maintaining now until after the holidays and my annual physical, then will go back to a more disciplined LCHF for the remaining 30 pounds to go.
  • lithezebra
    I like to think that food can be joyful on a low carb plan. Some of the foods I eat aren't my favorites, but I'm replacing them with things I love as I find new recipes. My husband seems to like what I'm cooking. I know that some people prefer not to enjoy food, in order to lose weight, but I can't do that.