Increasing my protein

Options
I gave up meat 5 months ago, but it wasn't until recently I realized how much protein I was lacking because I boosted up my carbs to remain full.
So far, myfitnesspal has helped me go a long way for increasing my protein.
I am a pescatarian and I am eating more tuna, salmon, and tilapia as my primary fish. I eat spinach everyday, I limit my whole eggs by 2 eggs per day, and recently bought a carton of egg whites. Also, I am currently addicted to Trader Joe's Vanilla Greek yogurt.

Would anyone happen to have more tips for including more protein in my diet?
I like looking SIMPLE since I am in college and therefore don't have the time nor the expense to be Iron Chef creative.
Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks

Replies

• jacquisaxby1
    jacquisaxby1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    More dairy can help such as milk, cottage cheese, goat cheese, mozarella cheese or ricotta cheese (I go for skimmed or low fat). Also, there is a British meat substitute product called Quorn (Mycoprotein) which is very high in protein. They sell Quorn Chicken Style Pieces, and Quorn Mince but I do not recommend Quorn Sausages. Of course you can go the old route with tofu, , nuts, peanut butter, beans and lentils (I recommend red lentils as they do not beed to be soaked you can just throw them in a soup and they will soften). Veggie Burgers in the store have a lot of protein, or you can make you own veggie burgers like a black bean veggie burger. I also like mushrooms, especially Portobello mushrooms. Hummus is also high in protein, as is Quinoa.

If you have a bit more cash to splash and are struggling to eat enough protein I can recommend Promax Protein Powder which is suitable for vegetarians. I specfically like the chocolate flavoured one.

Hope that helps!
  • mind2embrace
    mind2embrace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    quinoa and bean/rice are easy and cheep protein powerhouses to make and you can flavor them up endlessly.
    Look at http://www.health.com/health/gallery/thumbnails/0,,20718479,00.html
    And I am a Pescatarian so I add fish when my body calls for it. I have tried Quorn and it is ok.
    I am also on a tight budget, so this is why I aim for beans and grains.
  • JackiBurkhardt
    JackiBurkhardt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just 2 day in to recording what I eat. I am having trouble eating enough protein without going over my carb allowance. I get my protein mainly from beans and rice.
  • simplycidalia73
    simplycidalia73 Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Things seem very quiet around here...
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Things seem very quiet around here...

Definitely, wishing things were more active! I recently became pescatarian and cant find an active pescatarian group.