Dr. Mark Mattson on Intermittent Fasting...

Options
He is one of the leading advocates of regular weekly fasting to lose and/or maintain weight. Hear him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

This is why OMAD works.

Replies

• LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how important fasting is and how it's a health benefit. My parents had alzheimers and I've always been fearful of getting it too. A real eye opener for me. Also, that it takes 12 hours of a fast to begin burning fat.

Thank you!
  • OMADTammy
    OMADTammy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glycogen levels are depleted in 10-12 hours and after that ur fat burning till the next meal. He states to reduce calories to 500 for 2 days. You mentioned to have a cheat day which would increase your calorie intake. Have you tried this way or do you feel it works the same since calories are restricted from OMAD already?
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    OMADTammy wrote: »
    Glycogen levels are depleted in 10-12 hours and after that ur fat burning till the next meal. He states to reduce calories to 500 for 2 days. You mentioned to have a cheat day which would increase your calorie intake. Have you tried this way or do you feel it works the same since calories are restricted from OMAD already?

It all averages out, no matter how it's done. A complete fast is wonderful, but the ordinarily OMAD fast is conducive to weight-loss better than a complete fast.
  • sunjourn
    sunjourn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that video! We sure have been fed a load of bull over the years, haven't we?

Why is OMAD more conducive to weight loss than complete fasting?
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    sunjourn wrote: »
    Thank you for that video! We sure have been fed a load of bull over the years, haven't we?

Why is OMAD more conducive to weight loss than complete fasting?

Because with complete fasting, your metabolism's activity level will drop in an effort to save calories and losses will be super slow. But with the normal daily OMAD meal, the metabolism is kept running, thereby averting the problem (and hijacking the principle for our smarter exploitation).
  • sunjourn
    sunjourn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Aha! Thank you!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just watched this video last night and got inspired again.

Best quotation from this video:

"Humans live on 1/4 of what they eat; on the other 3/4 live their doctors."

Inscription on an Egyptian pyramid about 6,000 years old.