Low blood sugar?

Options
mmarshall74
mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
I've had two consecutive day of a blood sugar reading of 67 & 69 respectively. I'm taking metformin xr 1000mg at pm (no other diabetes meds and only losartan for blood pressure), I've been doing very good with my diet (reduce calories, lost 55 lbs, reduced carbs but not low carbs... Under 180g per day) and have been exerciting 4x per week (weights and cardio). The 67 reading was after 40m weight training and 30m cardio and about 2.5hrs after dinner at 9pm. The 69 reading was before dinner (no food for about 5-6hrs) and after 15m of shoveling snow. My question is.... Should I be concerned about these low values? Should I ask my dr to reduce or remove my metformin? I felt no symptoms of low blood sugar either time, but did eat when I got the low readings. Or is this just how diabetes 2 goes and I need to suck it up and now worry about it? Thanks for any thoughts.....

Replies

• winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor to suck it up. I did go down on one of my metformin without telling him lol. Didn't help much but I would talk it over with your doctor.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I experience lows without noticing it when I am in ketosis. The other day I was at 3.2 (58?) and I didn't really notice a difference except I was a bit hungry. I had a pepperoni and ignored it.

When not in ketosis I notice those lows. I was out of ketosis a couple of weeks ago and I felt the lows (60's or lower) when I was getting back into ketosis. Shakes and all.

I'm not on any meds so the lows aren't common.

I think how lows are treated depend on the circumstances.
  • mmarshall74
    Options
    Another low reading tonight, 66. 1 HR after diner (only 18carbs for dinner), but 1/2 piece of pound cake and 1/2 bag of skittles earlier in the day. Calling my dr tomorrow. Had to drink some lemonade and eat an apple to bring by levels up.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have had lower BS lately. It happens before dinner and it's been around 6-7 hours since I have eaten. It's been 3.5 and 3.7 and one other time in the mid to uppers 3s. I would definitely get advice from your doctor.
  • mmarshall74
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I did call my dr. And he 1/2 my metformin. Seems a little better today. Nothing in the 60s at least.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I did call my dr. And he 1/2 my metformin. Seems a little better today. Nothing in the 60s at least.
    When I went to see my doctor on Jan 20 I had 10 episodes of low BS taking metformin but the difference was that I had started a running program. He halved my dose and I have had only 1 low since. My overall numbers are just about 1/2 point higher. He wanted to see how I go on with that. If you exercise heavily maybe that was the cause too!! Best wishes!!! Hope you feel great!