Leeyuhsee's OMAD thread

Options
leeyuhsee
leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
so I started trying this out on September 10th. The first day was pretty hard, but not bad. I'm four days in now, and I feel like this has changed how hungry I get. Yesterday was my splurge day, and after a few hours of tennis with my tennis group, I went to a brunch. I ate a little, but got full fast, and remained that way for the rest of the day. I definitely splurged, though (banana peanut butter honey cinnamon crepe mmmmmmmmm).
Is it normal to feel just kind of stuffed throughout the day even when you haven't eaten? Because since the second day, that's kind of how it's been for me. I haven't really felt hungry since the first day.
What I have noticed, though, is that I tend to be a bit grumpier, less peppy at work (I'm pretty high energy and happy in general, and I have a job where I need to be so).
My next weigh in is on Friday. I'm curious to see what happens.

Replies

• leeyuhsee
    Options
    Just figured I'd leave these here. This is me, day 1. 186.8 pounds.
    d93qm616sb6i.jpg
    Jx28iqayx1q7m.jpg
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You may notice some mood variability, especially depending on the quality of food you eat. (IME) I got over that in about a week. Great job!!!

Yes, I do get full more quickly and stay that way longer now. That will ebb and flow based on what/when/how you eat. Again, in my limited experience. I am an in-progress, not success.
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    Update 9/14
    A coworker gave me a latte at work, so I didn't have a caloric drink at dinner. That was my one deviation from this whole system today. Still feeling pretty good. Didn't get hungry until later in the afternoon. My mood felt better today.
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    Also, I'm slightly worried that I won't lose this week because this plan feels easier than it should.
  • M_Foote
    Options
    If not, just keep rolling with it. You will. BUT, and I caution you based on experience, when you do see loss; do not fall into the trap of "well, it is so easy, I can probably cheat here and there and still be fine". The OMAD system forces discipline, and that is one reason it works so well. Stay the course, I have every confidence you will see great results!
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    Hm. Good advice. I can see myself doing that.
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    I woke up today feeling hungry, and decided to weigh myself just to see. It's still two days until my official weigh in, but I'm the same weight.
  • M_Foote
    Options
    Gotta stop doing that. With ANY fat loss program. But I hear you, it's a hard habit to break. Here is a picture that I posted on my thread:

can2l7i54nwz.jpg

Total WEIGHT loss between these two pictures??? LESS THAN ONE POUND. Not even kidding. Look at my post dates.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi there,

The adjustment process can effect others in an assortment of ways. Mood adjustments are just like anything, and with the toll that adjusting to a caloric deficit takes on the body, it is good to give it time and expect such changes.

The problem is, we perceive the passage of time so badly. You will adjust, and one of those rarely expressed lessons from the splurge days is that you don't need them too often. Your aren't that hungry because you have good blood-sugar levels and your body resorts to fat storage use-up when you aren't bringing in enough in the stomach. That right there is a win!

But you will go through periods where you will get VERY hungry. All is to be expected. Just don't become like some who, when they learn that they've been finding it easy because they haven't been hungry -- and suddenly are -- they give up and decide it's not for them. That's no good.

It's nice that you seem to have a reasonable grasp of sacrifices to be made in the name of losing weight. But remember that you WILL lose...even when a week or so goes by without an expected loss. This is providing you an opportunity to learn your body.
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    I've decided to give this a good three weeks before I make any decisions about whether or not to continue with this. I figured 21 days would allow me to see how my body reacts to OMAD. So no worries, I'm not giving up after a week or two.
  • arguablysamson
    edited September 2015
    Options
    leeyuhsee wrote: »
    I've decided to give this a good three weeks before I make any decisions about whether or not to continue with this. I figured 21 days would allow me to see how my body reacts to OMAD. So no worries, I'm not giving up after a week or two.

Six weeks is ideal, but it just depends on your goal(s) and how well it melds with your lifestyle. Just don't be in a hurry.

My longest plateau lasted 3 weeks. But keep in mind that you aren't in the position of so many who are bingers and/or are morbidly obese and can't manage themselves and need to reclaim their psychological grip on food. People who are last-resorters can't be picky. You can be, and that's good. So see how (and if) it compliments you.
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    Sounds good. We'll see how it goes.
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    Today was bad. I was starving at work, and I have a pretty active job as it is. After cleaning the bathroom and doing trash runs, I caved and had the food that was free and in front of me: a couple of donuts. I decided that today would be my splurge day, but goodness. I don't know if I can keep this up with my job.

I have liked this structure, though. I think what I might start doing is eating two mid size meals on days when I'm working, and then OMAD on days when I'm off.

Thoughts?
  • M_Foote
    Options
    You might try changing the time of day you eat. It works best for me in the morning or noonish. You can do it!
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    The problem is that I like having my family dinners, and I get off work at 7:30, so I normally don't eat until 8-9
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Then you have a decision to make--social eating or pragmatic eating. :-I
  • leeyuhsee
    Options
    Weigh in was today, and I'm down .4 pounds. Considering that yesterday wasn't a very healthy day, I'm pretty happy with that number.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Nice!
  • M_Foote
    Options
    Great job!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I find that for me to get through the next day without difficulty, the night before I need to eat tell full, make sure I eat enough protein (I use whey protien), and take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement. I think I don't have cravings as much when I do that. If I have a bad day (really hungry), I will eat something in the late afternoon to get through. I wouldn't worry about one donut day a week. If it is every day, that could be a problem. Count your calories to see what your really doing. Half my days I'm a little over my recommend limit and the other half I'm under (including exercise). What you do for the whole week matters a lot more than what you do on one day. I had a birthday last Sat and ate about 6000 cals that day, and also had a big lunch at work one day and I still lost almost two lbs for the week. As long as you are making some progress and it is sustainable, you will get there.

Starting weights or any exercise will usually temporarily keep you from loosing weight but you will be getting leaner like M-Foote's pics show.