Blood ketone levels

Options
TD4PEPSI
TD4PEPSI Posts: 3 Member
Does anyone use a blood ketone meter to measure your levels?
Also, has anyone had a DXEA scan to measure body fat?

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Can't afford either.

I am considering splurging on a blood ketone meter when I hit my goal weight (50-70 pounds away). I want to stay in ketosis in maintenance as I slowly up my carbs from their current 20 and add in certain foods and monitor my weight.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    No I use the urine stix. Cheaper & easy to get from a pharmacy.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yes I use a blood ketone meter. Not very often tho these days. No to the fat scan.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes. I try to stay under 90 on my glucometer.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Both. I got a dexa scan to get exact data on BMR, fat percentage and also because I was curious about my bone density. I also have a blood ketone meter that I used religiously morning and night for a period of time to assess how foods and other factors affect ketosis. I learned a lot, including the fact that just because it looks, feels or smells like you might be in ketosis it isn't always backed up by blood results.

I'm in the medical field and I like hard data. I realise there are many people who don't or cant have access to these tools, but at least I know exactly what works and why and I can back it up with my results. There are a lot of anecdotal stories around about why people fail, stall, etc on a ketogenic diet but personally I like to understand why through the data I get!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    Both. I got a dexa scan to get exact data on BMR, fat percentage and also because I was curious about my bone density. I also have a blood ketone meter that I used religiously morning and night for a period of time to assess how foods and other factors affect ketosis. I learned a lot, including the fact that just because it looks, feels or smells like you might be in ketosis it isn't always backed up by blood results.

I'm in the medical field and I like hard data. I realise there are many people who don't or cant have access to these tools, but at least I know exactly what works and why and I can back it up with my results. There are a lot of anecdotal stories around about why people fail, stall, etc on a ketogenic diet but personally I like to understand why through the data I get!

I'd love to hear what you've learned! I'm a facts nerd here, but I don't have access to all the tools you do...
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    kmca1803 wrote: »

I'd love to hear what you've learned! I'm a facts nerd here, but I don't have access to all the tools you do...

Me too! Do tell!

Your post is extremely tantalizing without delivering! :-)

OR at least write a book we can buy! :-)
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I didn't want to hijack the OP's original thread!

I lurk on the forums and rarely comment anymore because its just not worth the arguments. I spend a lot of time at work arguing, educating and convincing people re: their health and I just can't do it any more after a long day, especially in my own time!

Also, ultimately my experiment is N=1. I'm conscious that everyone achieves differently and we all know that there are so many variables to succeeding. Tracking data sure helps refute a lot of the bro science and anecdotal stuff that people sometimes recite to themselves, to excuse not achieving their goals though.

Tracking blood ketones certainly helped me identify nuts, dairy and some A.S as being total stallers for me. A dexa scan is a great way to refute any of those "you're just gaining muscle as you lose fat" comments that people can use as way to excuse a stall that is really due to poor food choices or carb creep (or whatever) too!

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I got my meter for free from the company- it's been quite a while so I don't remember which one. You could just google free blood glucose/ketone meter... Of course you pay dearly for the test strips.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    I got my meter for free from the company- it's been quite a while so I don't remember which one. You could just google free blood glucose/ketone meter... Of course you pay dearly for the test strips.

Yes, but others have found a great deal by paying a little for the meter and getting a great deal on strips... It's all about looking.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    @kmca1803 Please share what foods stalled you! I'm curious as well
  • philmcneal
    philmcneal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    im using the pee keto stix but I really want the updated data from a blood glucose/ketone meter.

As a performance athlete (not overweight) I'm determining my best range for lean muscle mass. If anyone in Canada got a good deal on these, be sure to let us know!