excessive weight loss in first week?

Options
Autum1031
Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
I'm mildly freaking out by the number on my scale, trying to find out if others experienced the same.

I had surgery just Monday, on 11/16. Morning of surgery, I weighed in at 287. I left the hospital at 290 (all the fluids). So you can image my shock when my scale today read 269.8! Yesterday I was 274, and the day before, 278. (Though I'm not sure where those 17 pounds went, since my too-tight pants before surgery are still too-tight!)

My office did not require me to lose any weight before surgery, nor did I have to do the 2 week liquid pre-diet, I just ate normally. I did lose about 13 pounds before surgery, but that was over the course of 5 months.

I'm not pleased by this number, I'm alarmed, as I expected this number after a MONTH not a week.

Had a check-in call with my nurse on Friday, nutritionally I seem to be doing well. I'm getting 40-45 oz liquid, about 40 g of protein, which she said was "very good for this early stage." She didn't ask about calories and said I shouldn't worry about them during the liquid stage, but I know I'm only getting about 200-300 calories per day.

Physically, I feel like crap. Utter, draining fatigue. Doing a few laps around the house is all I can muster. After I took my shower, I had to lay down for 10 minutes to rest. I've never felt so utterly drained and weak in my life. I would even say I felt worse today than yesterday, I was very lightheaded and weak when I woke up.

I have another follow up call on Monday with my doctor's office, but as I said, I'm kind of freaking out now. Should I not be concerned about such a drastic drop? As for energy, maybe it's low blood sugar, but how do I combat that since we're not supposed to have any sugar? Did anyone else worry about calories during that first two weeks?

Advice welcome!

Replies

• ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Since you didn't have to diet before, I assume it's a lot of water. Glucose binds with water. People often loose 10 lbs in the first week on a low-carb diet, eating more than you are now. And I was exhausted the first few days. But, call the doctor and let him know.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    ThinGwen wrote: »
    Since you didn't have to diet before, I assume it's a lot of water. Glucose binds with water. People often loose 10 lbs in the first week on a low-carb diet, eating more than you are now. And I was exhausted the first few days. But, call the doctor and let him know.

+1
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm with them ^^^^

Don't ever worry that you are losing too fast. Before you know it, you'll be freaking out about not losing anything in a while.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to stop freaking out. And you're right, it was pretty awesome to step on the scale and see that number. I'm sure next week it will come to a screeching halt as my body adjusts to reality!
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Morning before surgery I was 297 on 11/11/15
    After surgery I went up to 315
    Today 11/22/15 I am 289 so I have lost 26 pounds since surgery.

And as for tight pants...we have lots of swelling that will last 6-8 weeks according to my Doctor
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I know at this stage we all obsess about weight. But if you didn't weigh yourself you probably wouldn't be worried. Sounds like youre doing everything right. :)
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the honeymoon phase and make the most of it. It only gets harder after a while.