Losing the last 5 lbs before the end of 2015

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cynlyn2010 wrote: »
    I'm down 83 lbs with 27 to go. Since I'm building muscle right now, I'm tracking my body fat percentage instead of only focusing on the number on the scale. I would love to lose another 17 by my one year Ketoversary on January 19th, but the world won't end if I don't hit that goal. This weight took years to accumulate, I can't expect my body to just suddenly let it all go easily. The losses get smaller and further apart the closer I get, but the difference in my health is enough to keep me plugging ahead.
    Hang in there!

I love that! Ketoversary!

• Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. I have got re-inspired and can see myself reaching my goal in the near future. I am going the IF route. This morning I was within a cat's whisker but in a funny way I didn't want to get over the line! I seem to like the drama of teetering over the edge and looking down. Seem to be happier being on the journey rather than actually getting my destination! :*
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Have you tried all the usual suspects common when stalling? Cycle through them first, before going into details. Easy pickings like accurate logging etc first. Harder measures like improving sleep and lowering stress levels later.
    Also, the scales are lying SOBs when closer to GW. I've been hovering between 56-52 kg since January. ...but gone down from size L-M to S-XS. As we speak I'm wearing jeans that could not close in Jan. Stuff I bought in summer are bigger. Same scale weight. So try on skinnier clothes, if they get roomier, you're progressing, keeping or increasing LBM, while shedding fat.

Scales lie, skinny jeans never lie.

Laughing. Love this quote. I started serious weight training yesterday and since muscle weighs more than fat I know the scale will show a gain. A toned body is a healthier one is my theory, so yes I will gain. Muscle metabolises more energy so better than fat in terms of maintenance
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. I have got re-inspired and can see myself reaching my goal in the near future. I am going the IF route. This morning I was within a cat's whisker but in a funny way I didn't want to get over the line! I seem to like the drama of teetering over the edge and looking down. Seem to be happier being on the journey rather than actually getting my destination! :*

It's cool you got re-inspired. But what you msy be describing above is about the emotional aspects of the journey. We each have our own reasons for getting fat.

Ask yourself:
    - Why do I keep doing things that isn't good for me?
    - ...and in which situations or contexts do I resort to self sabotage?
    - Do I not want to suceed?
    - What is stopping me?

Remind yourself that reprogramming your synapses and really changing your patterns is a damn HARD job. It requires dedication, presence and patience. But most of all you need to really WANT to change for it to stick. My guess is that most yo-yo dieters go through the physical steps of weight loss, but forget the emotional sides that allure them back to «abuse». As an overeater, I know the comfort of stuffing myself. I still do it on occasion. Learning to say «no» to myself is closely related to *kitten* up boundaries in other areas of my life. Learning to forgive myself has been a big part of the healing my relationship with me. It's a see saw journey. Accept it. Good luck and I wish you well:)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I think it's a mental game. It's like we don't want to get there. But think of the long game - when you get there, maintenance will be a whole new journey.

But I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ fasting would be the quickest and easiest to get there. I have never tried 66 hours, the longest I've gone is 36 hours, from after dinner one night to breakfast the day after next. I usually drop around 2lbs this way. You have to be careful not to overeat the next day! There is a ketogenic and water fasting diet group that @DittoDan runs where he has posted his "recipe" for fasting.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @totaloblivia and @Foamroller , I agree so much with that.
    I think it's very beneficial and healing to dig into understanding where and to what degree emotions are a part of our less healthy behaviors.
    There's so much of that ingrained in my inspiration to choose low carb in the first place. I saw it as a big challenge and I decided that I needed to do it this way because it sounded the most challenging to me.
    After really looking at the behaviors I had that I didn't like in regard to food, I was feeling weak and selfish (just my feelings. I don't mean to suggest that those are characteristics that apply to anyone else :) ). I needed to identify it, understand it and accept it. But not "Oh well, that's just me and I can't change". I knew I wanted to change certain behaviors and that I was able to make that choice. I knew it was going to be difficult, some days more than others and I decided that every time I demonstrated the behavior that I wanted to become permanent, that I would acknowledge the success, allow myself to feel proud. Every positive choice deserves recognition. It was a gift I was giving to myself because I decided that I deserved it and refused to ever think otherwise.
    I used to say things like "I deserve to eat this whole box of candy because ___________". I knew I didn't really feel that way about it. But it would quiet the other voice in my head telling me that there's something unusual about hiding in the bathroom trying to keep the candy from being too noisy as I pour it into my hand. There was only a certain amount of "public candy indulging" I could allow, of course! Which was apparently enough to still be viewed as excessive since my kids got me a coffee mug that reads "eat candy for breakfast" on it.
    I redefined what it was that I deserved and it was to feel strong and in control. Candy was my personal weakness and I'm over it. Now I eat weakness for breakfast!
    I need a sharpie so I can edit my mug...
    0kzffyvnujjk.jpg
    Btw, I made sure my fingers weren't showing because I bite my nails... I'm still working on that one.. ;)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Ask yourself:
    - Why do I keep doing things that aren't good for me?
    - ...and in which situations or contexts do I resort to self sabotage?
    - Do I not want to succeed?
    - What is stopping me?

LOVE this!!
  • Abm4n
    Options
    "Humans live on 1/4 of what they eat; on the other 3/4 live their doctors"

Circa 6,000 years old inscription on Egyptian pyramid.

Just watched interesting Youtube talk advocating intermittent fasting as a means to improve the brain's ability to cope with stress by growing new connections. I am going the IF route over the finishing line and will endeavour to cross the line in one meal a day mode. Currently on day 3 of 1MAD. Getting used to the idea now.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Here's the link in case you are interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8
  • Abm4n
    Options
    MOTIVATION

When you are a long way away from your ideal healthy place it is quite easy to get motivated to do something about it. You have strong "get -me-out-of-here!" motivation.

As we approach our destination and begin to enjoy the benefits of the journey we might need to find other reasons to keep going.

Seems to me the people who stick with a healthy eating plan have often spent time to consider why they intend to keep going. This is about finding a new meaning and purpose to persist because the moving away from or "get-me-out-of-here!" motivation has gone.

This new motivation is closer to gratitude, more about appreciating the good things that we are able to enjoy rather than the previous motivation of physical and mental discomfort caused by cognitive dissonance - the gap between where we are and where we want to be.

• SamandaIndia
    Options
    Abm4n thanks for sharing. Grattitude certainly feels nicer than keeping going out of fear of going back to the up sized version of ourselves.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Thanks Samanda for your comment. Now I think of it, I'd also like to add self-respect to my list of motivations to keep going.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    ― Lou Holtz

You guys certainly have the right attitude, motivation and ability with this WOE!

The other one I like is:

The road to success is always under construction.
    ---Lily Tomlin.

I'm in for the 5 pounds!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 45lbs from my highest weight and now have 15 to my goal. Because of big stressors in my personal life and on the job I decided to just maintain starting in June. Now I'm ready to take off the last 15 and am stalling a bit at getting started. Although I have begun working out again, I haven't got into a routine yet.

I'm sure it will come though. I'm so looking forward to making that goal and love the support, advice and sharing that happens in this forum. It makes it easy to have faith that I'll get there.
  • Abm4n
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So as of this morning I'm still stuck 1kg from my goal! Again.

It's like that most frustrating of games - golf when you have hit a beautiful drive down the fairway, hit a confident approach shot with a 4 iron avoiding the trees on the right, a delicate pitch onto the green but the final putt just keeps lipping out! OMG!

Anyway, I have decided that my target is too small; that's the "problem" with golf you see. I prefer tennis actually - you pretty much just have to hit the ball somewhere over the net and precisely where it lands is not so critical.

It's more random and less precise. It's more about the "to and fro" the "back and forth" and less obsessively about hitting the target.

So I have re-set my new aspirational goal for a longer distance (i.e. bigger target or bigger weight loss goal).

That way, provided I make even a modicum of progress towards my new aspirational goal the ball will be "in play". And really, in terms of maintenance this weight loss game is more about keeping the ball in play and less about hitting a frustratingly small target with the precision of guided laser.

Also in tennis if you stuff up the serve you get a second serve so it's a more forgiving game and less frustrating. That whole "final 1kg" level of precision was just getting too bizarre!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Here's the link in case you are interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

He looks like maybe he has been fasting a little too much lol.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    So close now! This morning I was within 0.2 kg - less than 1/2 lb.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Way to go !
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    So as of this morning I'm still stuck 1kg from my goal! Again.

It's like that most frustrating of games - golf when you have hit a beautiful drive down the fairway, hit a confident approach shot with a 4 iron avoiding the trees on the right, a delicate pitch onto the green but the final putt just keeps lipping out! OMG!

Anyway, I have decided that my target is too small; that's the "problem" with golf you see. I prefer tennis actually - you pretty much just have to hit the ball somewhere over the net and precisely where it lands is not so critical.

It's more random and less precise. It's more about the "to and fro" the "back and forth" and less obsessively about hitting the target.

So I have re-set my new aspirational goal for a longer distance (i.e. bigger target or bigger weight loss goal).

That way, provided I make even a modicum of progress towards my new aspirational goal the ball will be "in play". And really, in terms of maintenance this weight loss game is more about keeping the ball in play and less about hitting a frustratingly small target with the precision of guided laser.

Also in tennis if you stuff up the serve you get a second serve so it's a more forgiving game and less frustrating. That whole "final 1kg" level of precision was just getting too bizarre!

Love your thinking. Inspirational !
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Yay! Finally made my initial target weight at this morning's weigh in after setting a new aspirational target weight less than 48 hours ago, 7kg below the first one. Went sailing past the initial target weight this morning. This was my original goal on New Year's Day 2015 and I am pleased to say that I have reached my destination and gone past it before the end of the year.

Thanks to everyone who supported me with encouragement and suggestions. MFP has been invaluable to me and has truly been a Pal to me on my journey to health and fitness. The last couple of kg were tough to shift. In the end I went with re-setting a new aspirational goal to give me a larger area to aim for rather than the pin-point accuracy of a single target weight. I believe that intelligent goal-setting can make all the difference and also help to maintain momentum in the post-victory phase aka maintenance.

Also I used DESIRE and IMAGINATION to get me over the line. Desire for me means reviewing the reasons WHY I want to lose weight coupled with imagining how I will feel when I get there.

The HOW TO was less important for me since there are many ways to get there. Everyone wants to know the how to of success but there is no simple formula that works for everyone.

Over the course of this year I have tried about four different ways of eating and in the process fallen in love with cooking and rediscovered the joy of eating with others. It's not what I would call a diet. I have swapped going to the gym for tennis and yoga and other physical activities I enjoy more.

In the end I believe there is no one solution but it's up to us to create our own pathway to our destination by trial and error rather than simply following those who went before us.