Multivitamins & Calcium for Gastric Bypass

Options
So I'm shopping for all my vitamins and wow are they expensive. Any hints on where to go that's not going to empty my wallet? Right now I'm shopping on bariatric advantage

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Morning:
    Centum Silver Chewables ( they have no iron)
    Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate 500 mg tablets

Mid day:
    C.C.C.
    B.A.C.C
    Spring Valley B12, 500mcg sublingual
    Bariatric Advantage FloraVantage Chewable Probiotic

Evening:
    C.C.C.
    B.A.C.C

Before bed
    Iron tablet 30mg

Please remember that iron and Calcium are not friends and should not be taken within 2 hours of each other.

I usually buy bulk from amazon. You can save a lot over buying monthly supplies. 270 cal.cit tabs for $53, 3 pack of 60ct bottles (180 total) for $38, 200 B12 for $10, 90ct Iron for $27.

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I still use Bariatric Advantage vitamins, but the rest of my supplements are OTC. I figure if those actually get absorbed best and the others don't, which is their marketing line, then I'm getting most of my nutrients.

I too buy from Amazon, including the BA vitamins.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bottle of 500 qty 500mg Calcium Citrate tablets from Costco for 9.99. I get my multivitamins there (Centrum for women) and also my Hair Skin Nails vitamins. They have really great prices on all of their vitamins. I live alone and don't buy a lot of bulk, but the price of the Costco membership definitely pays for itself for me between what I save on vitamins, OTC allergy meds, protein shakes, etc.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I got my calcium chews from Bariatric advantage and my multi from opurity. I am a fan of this set-up because I only need vits 3x a day
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    At my 3 month visit my doctor drastically cut my vitamin regimen saying the Bariatric Advantage vitamins are so strong that I only needed the big doses the first 3 months. Cutting the calcium to 1/day, D to 2/week, probiotic to no longer needed, and multi to 2/day. This cut the expense by 2/3. I'm taking OTC omega 3 for skin/hair support (he said Biotin was a waste of $$). They also took 8 vials of blood to make sure I was all good.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm taking OTC omega 3 for skin/hair support (he said Biotin was a waste of $$).

Can you elaborate more on this? I started taking 10,000 mcg of biotin and started seeing a HUGE difference in new hair growth (I have little spiky patches where new hair is starting to grow in all over the place now). Also, my nails, which have always been weak before now, are strong enough to grow out without tearing. I curious as to why he thinks it's a waste of money.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i shop around walgreen market basket, walmart, shaws, my nut gave me a list of low cost options
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @cmchandler74, I still take the extra Biotin (I bought it, after all!). But no where in the amount you are taking. I'm taking 1,100 mcg (which is 367% daily recommendation). He didn't elaborate. He just said that if I cared about my hair, I'd stop dying it (AS IF!) and possibly Omega 3 would help. But I'm also 3 months out and I figured it comes with the territory. So I added Omega 3.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me a form from ProCare pharmacy. They run your insurance to see if vitamins are covered. I pay 25.00 for everything I need for a month. It includes Bariactive multi, calcium, iron and Nascobal B12 nasal spray. Every month they will mail them to me. The phone number is 855.828.1488
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I use Bariatric advantage brand, and was taking a separate multi, B12, B50 complex, Iron, pills and calcium supplement post op. At 6 months I switched to a mutli-vitamin/mineral chewable tablet (Advanced Multi EA) that has everything but the calcium, so it's just two chewable tablets a day which is very easy & convenient. I continue one calcium chew and two premier protein shakes (which equate to a calcium chew). My blood work has been fine for the last 6 months with these chewables. And it's cheaper than all the individual tablets.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The chewables didn't sit well with me at all, so I do a Costco brand Energy Multivitamin once a day at breakfast(I break it in half so it doesn't risk getting stuck). Then I do a calcium at lunch and again at dinner. Then Biotin, vitamin d, and potassium before bed.