Options

Replies

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    No macro secret, just this picture.

mw-loss-series-to-June112015.jpg

That's amazing! You look 20 years younger!!

I was just about to say the same thing! The appearance in age is astonishing. Awesome job!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't have a secret...and maybe I won't ever. I've low-carbed before, and failed after achieving quite a bit of success in terms of weight loss. Its possible the failure was due those time to a willingness to have artificial sugars - so that's one thing I'm doing differently this time. Also, I'm on a mild antidepressant now so I think that probably is a factor that could contribute to future success. And finally, I'm making a conscious effort not to fall into the same old thinking traps: I deserve this treat. I'm stressed out so its okay to eat (insert name of high carb thing). I have to eat at x:xx.

I don't think I'd confidently say I have a secret...just that I'm stumbling along successfully right in this moment.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My wake up call was a sky high A1C. My secret is always making sure I'm eating something I like and planning ahead when I eat out. I don't miss having one certain food that's higher in carbs if I'm having another food I like and I just think of it this way. No bagel, but yay, lox! I also plan by reviewing restaurant menus before I go out and deciding ahead of time what I will have. It gets me in the mood for that food and I'm not tempted by the menu and what others are having.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Magic beans.

*drop mic, walk away*
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Magic beans.

*drop mic, walk away*

:lol:
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My secret is reading the posts written by others who have similar challenges which gives me the energy and insight to carry on and not give up. I may not always comment on the notes make stupid excuses for myself. Thank you all!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Magic beans.

*drop mic, walk away*

LOL :D

I had health issues I couldn't ignore anymore: pain, inflammation and prediabetes. In my experiences, I can't rely on doctors to do much so I changed what I could - my diet.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Magic beans.

*drop mic, walk away*

I have actually told people that. "Magic beans, like Jack and the Beanstalk."

Surprisingly, they then regard me as if I might not be all there.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Magic beans.

*drop mic, walk away*

I have actually told people that. "Magic beans, like Jack and the Beanstalk."

Surprisingly, they then regard me as if I might not be all there.

In your defense, they look at us as if we did really answer "magic beans" if we tell them what we honestly do anyway. :sweat:
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My physician demanded I change my eating habits, gave me very specific instructions, and told me to book a follow up appointment in eight weeks. He said he'd be able to tell just by looking at me if I didn't do as he told me.

Oh, that was AFTER he totally ripped into me about my belly fat, completely wacky blood sugar levels, and acid reflux.

It was motivating.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My secret? Don't underestimate how useful the blood of a virgin can be.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    My secret? Don't underestimate how useful the blood of a virgin can be.

You too? ;)
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    No macro secret, just this picture.

mw-loss-series-to-June112015.jpg

(...)

You look young enough to be your old self own son. Awesome job, you're an inspiration!

::flowerforyou::
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Michael Bisping's doppelganger, minus the cauliflower ears.

ztn6xhpuxoxh.jpg
    [Bisping is a 36 y.o. UFC welterweight fighter]
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For me it was the realization that I was walking the path of nearly everyone in my family: early heart attacks. I knew I was heading the wrong way and I also already knew what was one of the causes: insulin resistance. So I read and read and read and then I just started doing it. Peter Attia's work and the Bulletproof Diet (really) were great inspirations, although now I do BP coffee only when I need quick calories in the morning and I know I have little opportunity to eat during the day.

Over summer I was really suffering and I can't believe the change, now, after 4 months. I love the freedom from sugar cravings, and I lost 30 pounds, with my visceral fat going first. I'm mostly after health gain, not weight loss. I also realize that I can't go back to higher carb, that's a given and I resigned myself to that. But now I have hopes that I can survive turning 62.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    For me the secret was understanding WHY LCHF works.

I tried it several times before and missed out on the good info about fat being our key energy source, and our levels of electrolytes needing some help. Every day was the keto flu, and many of them ended with a plate of warm Tollhouse cookies. I don't think I ever made it more than a couple months without a 'cheat' day which would turn into several days.

Now I've been 'on the wagon' since February and really have no intention of getting off. I feel good, I eat like royalty, and have no reason to want to go back!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My secret is that I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I don't crave breads, pasta or sugary foods. I love being in control of what I put in my body. Everyone always tells me they admire my will power, like at work when fast food is ordered, or someone brings in donuts. I don't even look at it as will power, it's just a way of living, and it really works for me. I've tried many diets and this is what WORKS for me,at the most important secret.

I feel bad for people on other diets who describe what they eat to loose weight. Always baked chicken/ fish and lots of salad. To me that's boring and I'd starve, and fail!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have a combination of secrets.

First, finding this group and logging foods in MFP.

I never ate LCHF before, this is my first try at this WOE, after years of all sorts of commercial diets and hunger cravings. The biggest "secret" I learned was the addition of fats! Who knew? It completely turned me around. From never ever touching anything with fats, to satiety without starvation and still staying within my caloric deficit.

It took me too long to finally get away from prepackaged quick diet dinners and protein shakes - to making real meals with real food.

Lastly, the revelation that you can't exercise off a bad diet. I had no idea what 'a bad diet' meant. I thought bland, dry, uninteresting foods where the only way to lose weight. Who knew?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Everyone always tells me they admire my will power, like at work when fast food is ordered, or someone brings in donuts. I don't even look at it as will power, it's just a way of living, and it really works for me. I've tried many diets and this is what WORKS for me,at the most important secret.

It's so funny isn't it? I walk right past that carbage without the signal ever reaching my brain that it's "food" and could be eaten. I thought maybe I was mentally blocking the table where people leave such things out to share, but when they put out the 15g of carb organic wasabi popcorn, I snagged a couple bags to take home for my higher-carb family members. So it's not like I have blinders on!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »

It's so funny isn't it? I walk right past that carbage without the signal ever reaching my brain that it's "food" and could be eaten.

To me it even smells funny now. If I go down the cookie/cracker or cereal aisle, I can smell it, and it doesn't smell like food.